Who killed SEGA?

OP
OP
ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
As a broad statement, I do need to re-familliarise myself with all the CD-32X-Saturn-DC-XB shenanigans, or the timeline of certain events, but personally I currently blame a combo of SOJ+MS, more than I would Sony.

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
They're still alive, but if we're talking about why they left the console business, it was primarily Sega of Japan making dumb decisions and fighting with Sega of America.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sega commited suicide, mostly due to many dumb decisions taken by higher ups from Sega America and Sega Japan to a point they only had the option of moving to be a 3rd party multiplatform publisher.

Too much focus on add-on devices like MegaCD or 32X instead of leaving that tech for the next gen console, competing against themselves with stuff like 3X and Saturn, fights between Sega America and Japan instead of having a global strategy, making Saturn too difficult to develop for instead of focusing on help 3rd parties as much as possible to get their support, getting rid of the marketing firm they had for Megadrive and Mega CD in the west and a long, not focusing enough in Europe doing things like investing hard on localization to several EU languages, etc.

Nintendo and Sony outperformed them because they did a better job in these and other areas. But if Sega would have done a better job not making these mistakes they would have performed way better and wouldn't have needed to stop making consoles.

I think it's a similar case to MS: since 360 every generation they are losing market share more and more because of their own decisions and at some point they'll end leaving the console market somewhere in the future. Not because of decisions taken by Sony or Nintendo, but because of suicidal strategies taken by MS heads instead.

TheLastOfSnatcher

6 Feb 2023
Yeah, there's plenty of docs out there.
Sega killed Sega.

More precisely, Japan killed US division setting up a snowball effect.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Microsoft was suspiciously too involved with the Dreamcast and ready to follow it with a console of their own that directly benefited from Sega exiting the hardware business. Their classic EEE MO.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Just like WCW killed WCW, Sega killed Sega. ( In the console space) It wasn’t their competition, it was their management incompetence.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Sega commited suicide, mostly due to many dumb decisions taken by higher ups from Sega America and Sega Japan to a point they only had the option of moving to be a 3rd party multiplatform publisher.

Too much focus on add-on devices like MegaCD or 32X instead of leaving that tech for the next gen console, competing against themselves with stuff like 3X and Saturn, fights between Sega America and Japan instead of having a global strategy, making Saturn too difficult to develop for instead of focusing on help 3rd parties as much as possible to get their support, getting rid of the marketing firm they had for Megadrive and Mega CD in the west and a long, not focusing enough in Europe doing things like investing hard on localization to several EU languages, etc.

Nintendo and Sony outperformed them because they did a better job in these and other areas. But if Sega would have done a better job not making these mistakes they would have performed way better and wouldn't have needed to stop making consoles.

I think it's a similar case to MS: since 360 every generation they are losing market share more and more because of their own decisions and at some point they'll end leaving the console market somewhere in the future. Not because of decisions taken by Sony or Nintendo, but because of suicidal strategies taken by MS heads instead.
You think MS will leave the console market? Unlike Sega, they can afford to keep making consoles. I think they have too much pride to leave. I think they won’t want people to think “little” companies like Sony and Nintendo pushed them out.

shocknero

12 Jun 2023
besides Sega of Japan fighting with Sega of America leading up to the Saturn, them holding so many amazing games to Japan only also did them in. They could’ve easily outsold the N64 had the localized their Library. Then Dreamcast would’ve had a chance.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Time frame for the release of both Saturn and Dreamcast felt stuck in between generations instead of launching alongside them.

Rezlus

Banned
27 Jan 2023
Sega killed Sega.

Microsoft was suspiciously too involved with the Dreamcast and ready to follow it with a console of their own that directly benefited from Sega exiting the hardware business. Their classic EEE MO.
I'll tell you one thing, you clearly have an unhealthy obsession for Microsoft; I just didn't know conspiracy tin hats were one of them.

Reactions: Systemshock2023
OP
OP
ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I see a lot of votes for Sega of America, a little surprisingly to me. How much was late era SOA'S decisions derived from SoJ's insistence?

shocknero

12 Jun 2023

Nintendo was set to be the next Sega. They continuously shrunk in the home console market not counting the lightening in a bottle Wii. Which is crazy since they have the strongest IP, but they forgot how important 3rd party is. Somehow it took them decades to realize that.

Luckily they still had a successful handheld business and decided to fuse their markets together so they could maintain a home console presence. Unfortunately that means the days of cutting edge Nintendo are long gone and we’ll forever be playing their games on tablet hardware.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Nintendo was set to be the next Sega. They continuously shrunk in the home console market not counting the lightening in a bottle Wii. Which is crazy since they have the strongest IP, but they forgot how important 3rd party is. Somehow it took them decades to realize that.

Luckily they still had a successful handheld business and decided to fuse their markets together so they could maintain a home console presence. Unfortunately that means the days of cutting edge Nintendo are long gone and we’ll forever be playing their games on tablet hardware.

Gameboy and Pokémon is what kept Nintendo afloat. It allowed them to blunder two console gens in a row and 3DS did the same for Wii U.

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko