Why Esports are Dying while the FGC is Thriving (YT)

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
A video exploring why Esports have been dying / in steep decline, while the FGC has seen fantastic growth in recent years.

It basically seems to come down to the structure of tournaments, where Esports got many investors involved, many teams being owned through markets and huge financial barriers being constructed to entering, followed by a collapse of the investors interest and reward.

While the FGC is fueled by very strong grassroots, which has been embraced by the game developers.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
So good customer/consumer feedback implementation into development, like the usage of rollback netcode by most, now, finally; and a huge investment into the tourny by the game makers. Wasn't it a $1M prize for that SF6 Tourny?

I don't get why those same principles can't see Sony running EVO type events/beefed up PS Tournaments, but for eSports teams for, I dunno, TLOU Factions matches? Anything really.

If Sony wanna do GAAS, they should support with eSports tourneys to keep interest/word of mouth up about the game.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
This fgc youtubers are pretty annoying surface level content but this is the truth. E-sports isn't really a good model it's always a no skills game like league or whatever that's free to play being played on twitch. Their not interesting games to watch compared to other games.

• brain
Reactions: Zzero and Bryank75

Banana

10 Jan 2023
How are esports dying? The games esports players play appeal to way more people than traditional fighting games. Outside of the FGC, almost no one cares about fighting games.

The only fighting game that has mass appeal is Smash, which arguably isn't a "real" fighting game.

It is kind of nuts how fighting games have really died out.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
How are esports dying? The games esports players play appeal to way more people than traditional fighting games. Outside of the FGC, almost no one cares about fighting games.

The only fighting game that has mass appeal is Smash, which arguably isn't a "real" fighting game.

The e-sports industry is kinda collapsing in on itself for a few reasons one being low pay and other shenanigans.

The whole tldr of:

SURPRISE

You're not gonna get paid almost nothing to play a video game.

Reactions: Banana

Crow

Banned
15 Jul 2023
Nah

Nah fighting games are popular and the esports torney such as evo, combo breaker, CEO etc. Tekken, street fighter, mortal Kombat etc.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
Well, if the fighting games are by SNK, there COULD be some connections…
Its A Trap GIF

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

E-Sports is dying because the money is running out the door.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

Are you a time traveller from 2009? Quick, I have to warn you. There's a disease research laboratory located in Wuha.....*crack* *frizzle*

• brain
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Banana

10 Jan 2023
Nah

Nah fighting games are popular and the esports torney such as evo, combo breaker, CEO etc. Tekken, street fighter, mortal Kombat etc.
They're not anywhere near as popular as esports titles. Single player games have higher engagement than fighting games, outside of maybe smash.

Hell, look at twitch and youtube video numbers.
E-Sports is dying because the money is running out the door.
Well yeah, paying people to play video games is dumb, but that doesn't mean esports are dying. CSGO on its own is bigger than the entire FGC.
Are you a time traveller from 2009? Quick, I have to warn you. There's a disease research laboratory located in Wuha.....*crack* *frizzle*
Fighting games are still incredibly niche.

BlueLyria

29 Apr 2023
Most of the popular/thriving e-sports bases are the ones that are grassroots led. Take Counter Strike and Dota for example and compare it with Overwatch, "Forced" e-sports doesn't drive engagement, which in turn doesn't bring sponsors so there's no reason to keep them around. Even during the lowest lows for the grassroots games, the players themselves keeps the scene going. Melty Blood is played to this day and still has the reputation of a "Bathroom game", that would never happen with any forced game.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Zzero

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
They aren't as popular as they were in the early 90s but they've had a big comeback over the past decade. Stuff like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter (and even Tekken, which is crazy because who the fuck cares about Tekken?) are big news these days and MK, at least, is a sales contender every time it comes out.

Crow

Banned
15 Jul 2023
They're not anywhere near as popular as esports titles. Single player games have higher engagement than fighting games, outside of maybe smash.

Hell, look at twitch and youtube video numbers.

Well yeah, paying people to play video games is dumb, but that doesn't mean esports are dying. CSGO on its own is bigger than the entire FGC.

tekken 7 sold over 10 million copies. Its 100 percent popular. Mortal kombat 11 sold over 15 million copies. Fighting games are nowhere near niche lol.

Reactions: Snes nes

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
You mean a fresh market that sells hybrid Bat + Pangolin babies that sometimes cough and this is so cute to see them do this, you can't help but snuggle with them.

Don't let people snuggle the batagolin babies, they are contagious!

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
Excuse me people but I think fighting games are inherently niche because of artificial skill barriers such as quarter circles and basic two hit combos. I propose we rid ourselves of this unneccessary skill barrier and create a new system that just automatically plays the game for me.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Excuse me people but I think fighting games are inherently niche because of artificial skill barriers such as quarter circles and basic two hit combos. I propose we rid ourselves of this unneccessary skill barrier and create a new system that just automatically plays the game for me.
I think CS or MOBA has much higher skill ceiling

I played the Warcraft DOTA sometimes back in early 00s, the skill ceiling is really high, much higher than FG. There was not much people around at the time, mostly just p2p servers with majority are Koreans, Taiwanese and those guys are pure tryhards so...

Not sure how League plays nowadays