Why Esports are Dying while the FGC is Thriving (YT)

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The reason e-sports are dying is because most people don't watch it, for example dota no one watches anything except The International (equivalent to the world cup/superbowl). For sports you need fans to watch the entire season to drive revenue to fund the people who have to treat training as a full-time job, right now those people are being funded by corporate sponsors who wanted a cut in case the scene blew up. But no spectators = no money, so the sponsors are walking away.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
This fgc youtubers are pretty annoying surface level content but this is the truth. E-sports isn't really a good model it's always a no skills game like league or whatever that's free to play being played on twitch. Their not interesting games to watch compared to other games.
Since when is League no skill game? 😂 I played it for a long time, definitely a game that requires a ton of skill. Well it used to be, these days it's become garbage. But I still wouldn't call it a no skill game.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
So good customer/consumer feedback implementation into development, like the usage of rollback netcode by most, now, finally; and a huge investment into the tourny by the game makers. Wasn't it a $1M prize for that SF6 Tourny?

I don't get why those same principles can't see Sony running EVO type events/beefed up PS Tournaments, but for eSports teams for, I dunno, TLOU Factions matches? Anything really.

If Sony wanna do GAAS, they should support with eSports tourneys to keep interest/word of mouth up about the game.
Yes, there was a SF6 tournament with a $1M prize but was an exception, normally the FGC tournaments have tiny prizes compared to other eSports, and many times they don't have -or have a little one- budget/prizes, because the FGC tournaments traditionally have been by the community for the community with very little to basically no support from the publishers and platform holders. Nintendo even blocked tournaments of their games.

With Street Fighter IV and later SFV and SF6 Capcom and Sony did a big bet for eSports in fighting games. In the SFIV deal, Sony not only included money for development, they also paid half a million dollars for SFIV tournament prizes and later doubled it.

This year, the official Capcom yearly worldwide league of SF6 the main tournaments around the world, the Capcom Pro Tour has a prize of $2M dollars and the winner of the finals of that league, the Capcom Cup tournament will get $1M. That is a huge increase over previous years. Sony did keep supporting also implementing in the console OS online tournament features, promoted these online tournaments of fighting games, signed a few relate deals and exclusivities and even bought EVO, the most important fighting game tournament.

The other fighting games followed the SF path with a resurrection with the SFIV era growing the genre, starting to go GaaS and focusing more on eSports with the SFV era plus growing the genre more, and now with SF6 seems that they are growing more and polishing the online experience, the eSports side and apparently growing the genre even more.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Game devs aren’t really trying to make “esports” games anymore tho. They’re looking for mass market online success first and not balanced arena shooters etc. It doesn’t often correlate. They’re not going anywhere either. This gen is gonna bring a lot of changes to the multiplayer space. So let’s see…

The FGC is the definition of esports tho… and quite honestly those events are a bit more fun to watch online since presentation of fighter events go full pro wrestling on commentary etc.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
They aren't as popular as they were in the early 90s but they've had a big comeback over the past decade. Stuff like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter (and even Tekken, which is crazy because who the fuck cares about Tekken?) are big news these days and MK, at least, is a sales contender every time it comes out.
Fighting games are more popular now than they ever have been. Smash Bros Ultimate is the best selling fighting game ever. The recent Mortal Kombat games are their best selling games, Tekken 7 is the best selling Tekken and Namco fighting game ever, Street Fighter V is the best selling Capcom fighting game ever, Dragon Ball FighterZ is the best selling ARC System Works game ever, Guilty Gear Strive had the best launch for a ARC System Works game ever.

They are all selling more than ever. And on top of that they are GaaS, they sell characters, seasons, customizables etc as DLC so make a lot of money more on top of that.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
Since when is League no skill game? 😂 I played it for a long time, definitely a game that requires a ton of skill. Well it used to be, these days it's become garbage. But I still wouldn't call it a no skill game.
I think CS or MOBA has much higher skill ceiling

I played the Warcraft DOTA sometimes back in early 00s, the skill ceiling is really high, much higher than FG. There was not much people around at the time, mostly just p2p servers with majority are Koreans, Taiwanese and those guys are pure tryhards so...

Not sure how League plays nowadays

Well I just always thought it was tbh then again I'm just passing judgement on a game I've obviously never had interest in playing lol.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Fighting games are hype to watch plain and simple, 1 v 1 single screen mind games. Outside of like Marvel it's pretty easy to parse what is happening for an entire match and good commentary heightens the experience a lot. I have never watched any other kind of "esports"

Banana

10 Jan 2023
They aren't as popular as they were in the early 90s but they've had a big comeback over the past decade. Stuff like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter (and even Tekken, which is crazy because who the fuck cares about Tekken?) are big news these days and MK, at least, is a sales contender every time it comes out.
Tekken is the #1 fighting game.

I'm a SC guy myself. Never understood the hype of tekken.
tekken 7 sold over 10 million copies. Its 100 percent popular. Mortal kombat 11 sold over 15 million copies. Fighting games are nowhere near niche lol.
All games sell more now then ever.
Fighting games are more popular now than they ever have been. Smash Bros Ultimate is the best selling fighting game ever. The recent Mortal Kombat games are their best selling games, Tekken 7 is the best selling Tekken and Namco fighting game ever, Street Fighter V is the best selling Capcom fighting game ever, Dragon Ball FighterZ is the best selling ARC System Works game ever, Guilty Gear Strive had the best launch for a ARC System Works game ever.

They are all selling more than ever. And on top of that they are GaaS, they sell characters, seasons, customizables etc as DLC so make a lot of money more on top of that.
The FGC doesn't consider smash a fighting game, but yes it is the biggest.

Crow

Banned
15 Jul 2023

I'm a SC guy myself. Never understood the hype of tekken.

All games sell more now then ever.

The FGC doesn't consider smash a fighting game, but yes it is the biggest.
fighting games arent niche. Deal with it. Their popular.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
MK sells more than Tekken, as if we count Smash too, Smash is the best selling one.
In terms of FGC/eSports (amount of players, tournaments, prizes, viewship), the biggest one is Street Fighter.