Why is 30fps suddenly feeling ok to me?

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
(Not a Starfield thread, people)
So, at the start of the gen, 30fps modes in games were feeling outright broken, weird, sluggish. When I replayed god of war 2018 on ps5, the 30fps mode felt like slow motion.
Cut to 2023: Tears of the Kingdom and Final Fantasy XVI actually feel fine?
What happened? Is it my tv? Now I have a Samsung QN90A, maybe it’s that? I don’t know, I just find it weird that 30fps feels fine now and it didn’t a few years ago.

Reactions: rofif

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
cognitive bias. nothing was wrong with it for decades on previous generations, then all of a sudden pc warrior mindset infected the console crowd. also different tv settings affect how smooth 30fps feels, ie motion smoothing. OLED's also having a very high response time also makes 30fps look more prominent than old displays gamers played with.

OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
cognitive bias. nothing was wrong with it for decades on previous generations, then all of a sudden pc warrior mindset infected the console crowd. also different tv settings affect how smooth 30fps feels, ie motion smoothing. OLED's also having a very high response time also makes 30fps look more prominent than old displays gamers played with.
Maybe that’s it? During ps2 and ps3 eras I didn’t use forums too much, so I didn’t know about this framerate shenanigans. It feels like forums make gaming a more miserable experience? I don’t know. I hate knowing these technical stuff, they look like it gets in the way of the games.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Maybe that’s it? During ps2 and ps3 eras I didn’t use forums too much, so I didn’t know about this framerate shenanigans. It feels like forums make gaming a more miserable experience? I don’t know. I hate knowing these technical stuff, they look like it gets in the way of the games.
Yep we just enjoyed games back then. I couldn’t tell you what resolution or frame rate tlou or gta v ran on the ps3 because we were all just enjoying them. Thanks to the rise of the idiotic Digital Foundry, every gamer now thinks that they are a game engine programmer and 30fps is horrible to play. The popularity of digital foundry and this 60fps or nothing foolishness is correlated

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I replayed Control in 30fps with ray tracing, 30fps really didn't feel all that bad and from now on i will always be selecting the graphics mode

Reactions: nongkris

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
30 fps is fine for certain genres as long you are playing with a controller and there's good motion blur and low input delay. Also constant 33.3ms frame pacing helps.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It works just fine for some games. It would be awful in a racing or fighting game. For TotK and FF16 it works more than fine IMO. Same for Ratchet.

I think you just might be a reasonable person. 🤷‍♂️

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
I feel the opposite

Hella choppy whereas I barely noticed last gen

I think it's to do with better TVs?

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
You get used to it, but if you compare one after the other on the same game 30fps blows.

Devs should pretty much never favor resolution or any unnecessary effect over achieving 60fps.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
So, at the start of the gen, 30fps modes in games were feeling outright broken, weird, sluggish. When I replayed god of war 2018 on ps5, the 30fps mode felt like slow motion.
What happened? Is it my tv? Now I have a Samsung QN90A, maybe it’s that? I don’t know, I just find it weird that 30fps feels fine now and it didn’t a few years ago.
It's your brain. It adjusts. But I'll always pick 60 anyday. I'm only playing ffxvi at 30fps cause the drops are jarring. If they patch a 40fps mode I'll be all over it

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I will always choose better framerate over resolution and negligible post processing effects every time I am given the choice.

I can do 30fps in some games and not others. Sometimes it looks stuttery still and others it does not. FF16 does a bad 30 to me (heavier motion blur at 30 may be the culprit tho). I’ve played games at much worse in the past… but that was then and i expect more now as a standard from my $600 hardware. My n64? Not so much…

Im not really for giving users options on console. The game should be optimized for the hardware in every way. Would prefer if target and standard was 60fps tho. Ray tracing is totally not worth it etc.. most details aren’t when you’re actually playing a game and not looking at a still image.

That and I’m beginning to interpret options as … here’s a half assed rushed release

Last edited:

Relaxedsun

27 May 2023
Can we talk about the wizard game here ( I know you can't in Resetera). I played that in 30fps along with Calisto Protocol. Shit I didn't even use Performance mode in RE4 remake cause it was already at a damn near 60 fps.
My playthrough on Horizon Forbidden West was in 30 fps. ( When it came out, the performance mode was busted). I'm loving FF 16 in 30 fps.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Can we talk about the wizard game here ( I know you can't in Resetera). I played that in 30fps along with Calisto Protocol. Shit I didn't even use Performance mode in RE4 remake cause it was already at a damn near 60 fps.
My playthrough on Horizon Forbidden West was in 30 fps. ( When it came out, the performance mode was busted). I'm loving FF 16 in 30 fps.
what about Hogwarts Legacy?
i played it in 30fps too. almost all games i played in 30fps. but i like to have a choice. because not all games i play 30fps. choice always good.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Because 30fps wa always fine.

60fps is better? Yes absolutelly but still I prefer solid 30fps over unstable 60fps.
Playing FFXVI in 30fps is so good that make me not even try the 60fps mode.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Because 30fps wa always fine.

60fps is better? Yes absolutelly but still I prefer solid 30fps over unstable 60fps.
Playing FFXVI in 30fps is so good that make me not even try the 60fps mode.
FF16 30fps is really made flawlessly but.. but man, they need to tune down that motion blur, i never use it in my games and that shit is enemy nr. 1 in this game.

Reactions: ethomaz