Why is 30fps suddenly feeling ok to me?

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I just think all this 30fps was overblown. Yes, there's a huge difference between 30 and 60.

Thing is, I can switch between the two and get used to 30 in about half an hour. That's why the Starfield (sorry to bring it up) discussion around that felt overblown to me.

Reactions: Swift_Star
OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I just think all this 30fps was overblown. Yes, there's a huge difference between 30 and 60.

Thing is, I can switch between the two and get used to 30 in about half an hour. That's why the Starfield (sorry to bring it up) discussion around that felt overblown to me.
Yeah, it’s overblown. Saying framerate make or break a game is annoying and not true. Also, pop in is way more distracting to me. I couldn’t play GoW Ragnarok on HFR mode because of pop in, the 40fps mode was perfect to me. FFXVI unlocked mode has to much stutter and it’s annoying af, 30fps mode is clean and smooth.
Starfield looks like it’s 24fps and a stuttery mess, so there’s that. Maybe it’s the frame pacing?

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Yeah, it’s overblown. Saying framerate make or break a game is annoying and not true. Also, pop in is way more distracting to me. I couldn’t play GoW Ragnarok on HFR mode because of pop in, the 40fps mode was perfect to me. FFXVI unlocked mode has to much stutter and it’s annoying af, 30fps mode is clean and smooth.
Starfield looks like it’s 24fps and a stuttery mess, so there’s that. Maybe it’s the frame pacing?
Yes, but the 30fps crowd is often there complaining that there are even 60 or more fps modes in games because they feel games should target whatever they have in their head over anything else.

a game that only has a 30fps mode on current generation consoles is a game released half baked. I'm sorry, those devs are incompetent or they were rushed... sometimes both. but it remains a defective product. So, no I'm not going to shut up about my performance mode(s), and I'm not about to buy a console to play a game that looks a full generation behind at 30fps with drops.

I have a PC, and those people who say insane things like "play on Pc if you care about this" completely miss the point. I mostly game on consoles, always have and honestly with current gen hardware there is no real reason to not be able to afford it, just look at insomniac games like Ratchet and Clank that can manage a 60fps mode with RT on, or even a cross gen looker like Horizon Forbidden West, with its epic battles and what not with all this dense vegetation with amazing animations and what not.

I think yearly console refreshes are the solution, just like our phones\TVs\cars and what not. Those who are contempt with the 30fps modes can remain a couple of generations behind and save money, while those who don't want to make sacrifices can just re-sell on a yearly basis to upgrade.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
It has always depended on which game you’re playing. The cultural yammering about FPS variability I’ve always ignored.

OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Yes, but the 30fps crowd is often there complaining that there are even 60 or more fps modes in games because they feel games should target whatever they have in their head over anything else.

a game that only has a 30fps mode on current generation consoles is a game released half baked. I'm sorry, those devs are incompetent or they were rushed... sometimes both. but it remains a defective product. So, no I'm not going to shut up about my performance mode(s), and I'm not about to buy a console to play a game that looks a full generation behind at 30fps with drops.

I have a PC, and those people who say insane things like "play on Pc if you care about this" completely miss the point. I mostly game on consoles, always have and honestly with current gen hardware there is no real reason to not be able to afford it, just look at insomniac games like Ratchet and Clank that can manage a 60fps mode with RT on, or even a cross gen looker like Horizon Forbidden West, with its epic battles and what not with all this dense vegetation with amazing animations and what not.

I think yearly console refreshes are the solution, just like our phones\TVs\cars and what not. Those who are contempt with the 30fps modes can remain a couple of generations behind and save money, while those who don't want to make sacrifices can just re-sell on a yearly basis to upgrade.
I think games should have a 60fps or unlocked framerate mode for future proofing.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
That's because 30fps in ff16 is actually the best 30fps we had this gen.

All other 30fps implementations we had are very very laggy.
My usual comparison is blodoborne to des remake at 30fps.
... DES got 75ms slower input lag. Like wtf. Bloodborne controls faster at 30fps than des at 60.. for the price of some framepacing in bloodborne.

So:
-Low input lag but no framepacing. Golden bullet. Finally a 30fps game as fast as bloodborne
-No acceleration and very low/non existent deadzones on control. So smooth and fast to react.
-Heavy but very high quality motion blur. It completely 100% eliminates judder on my oled tv. Feels like good old lost planet. It might seem heavy at first but it saves the screen for judder. The animation motion blur on enemies is especially incredible.
-The graphics are so good, 30 fps is actually worth it.

edit: I got so used to 30fps again with ff16 that I am playing it, conciously trying to notice 30fps and I can't. It looks great. (without switching to 60fps lol)

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
You get used to it, but if you compare one after the other on the same game 30fps blows.

Devs should pretty much never favor resolution or any unnecessary effect over achieving 60fps.

I'd rather have choice then to be forced into one frame rate over bells and whistles.

Reactions: Swift_Star