Why is cancelling a pre-order so difficult on PSN?

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Trying to cancel a pre-order today. You can't do it from your console, and you can't do it from a website after logging in. You literally have to contact support and sit in a fucking online queue to say "yes please cancel this thanks."

I'm waiting behind 500 people to cancel a preorder, looks like it's going to take hours. How is this not something you can just let me do from my fucking account management page like holy shit

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Trying to cancel a pre-order today. You can't do it from your console, and you can't do it from a website after logging in. You literally have to contact support and sit in a fucking online queue to say "yes please cancel this thanks."

I'm waiting behind 500 people to cancel a preorder, looks like it's going to take hours. How is this not something you can just let me do from my fucking account management page like holy shit
Dick head corporate bs purposely done to sway ppl from going through with it. It's disgusting!!! Don't get it twisted, it indeed is purposely done that way.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

I did that with Diablo4 standard edition upgrading it to the next edition above, I had to cancel that and then rebuy it. The queue was like 10 minutes but I think I was lucky as I did not have many people in front of me.

Reactions: Nym

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Yea it sucks. Also if you download the game, you are f*cked.

I think PS do allow at least 1 refund for every accounts no matter you downloaded or how long you play it though, but after that meh. At least the money go back faster than steam, at least for me.

OP
OP
Nym

Nym

21 Jun 2022
I tried to do it at work today but the 2 factor authentication was refusing to send the codes to my phone so I couldn't log into the website. Won't be doing this again I don't even know why I preordered it (BG3). Waiting for sale.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
One of the worst aspects of playstation/sony is how fucking much their customer service process sucks. They try to put as many walls between you getting satisfaction to discourage you from getting your money back, i had to sit in that queue when i was cancelling my preorder for FF16 so i could get the deluxe edition.

• angry
OP
OP
Nym

Nym

21 Jun 2022
Why pre-order digitally at all?

Sometimes it makes sense like I wanted all the bells and whistles with SF6 and wanted to play it as soon as I got home the day it came out. But in this case I was just buying early and didn't realize what a pain it is to cancel.

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
Sometimes it makes sense like I wanted all the bells and whistles with SF6 and wanted to play it as soon as I got home the day it came out. But in this case I was just buying early and didn't realize what a pain it is to cancel.
How early was the pre-order? Afaik it is possible to cancel at any time until the launch if the preload has not started. A short message to customer service was enough for me when I pre-ordered the wrong version.

As a rule, I only pre-order titles that I want 100%. Baldur's Gate 3 is pre-ordered. With other titles I often wait for reviews. They usually come before launch.

Only on Xbox is it easy to cancel or "return" titles you've bought and played. But you have to be careful there. If this happens too often in a period of time, they reject it.

• brain
OP
OP
Nym

Nym

21 Jun 2022
I ordered it in June. "A short message to customer service" wasn't really an option and I'm not usually one to just send emails into a customer service void and hope for the best, the only option seemed to be to wait in a 500 person queue and babysit the chat window. There is absolutely no good reason to not simply allow people to do this from the store or their account management section of the OS, or even through the website.

It's resolved now but I mean when I cancel something on Amazon it takes me maybe 5 seconds. I started this return process somewhere around 3pm today it's been 3 and half hours. We can do better.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It's definitely one of the most important aspects that PlayStation has to improve on. Sooner rather than later.

They have such a bad reputation in this regard.

How could customers even push them to improve? I'd love to see some online pressure for them to change things for the better.

Reactions: Nym and JAHGamer

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It's definitely one of the most important aspects that PlayStation has to improve on. Sooner rather than later.

They have such a bad reputation in this regard.

How could customers even push them to improve? I'd love to see some online pressure for them to change things for the better.
Legislation+public pressure

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75