Why is cancelling a pre-order so difficult on PSN?

Falcs

23 Jun 2022
I'll add this to the list of reasons why I have never and will never pre order anything.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Store and backwards compatibility are the only things Xbox does better than PlayStation. Xbox store has much better customer service, can refund games as long as you haven't played them within a certain time, cancel purchases easily , ACTUALLY GIFT games to people, and you can write a review for a game you've played, and other people can see your reviews (Written, not just stars like PS).

How Sony doesn't have a gifting option is beyond me...and proper reviews would be nice.

• Informative
Reactions: Nym

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Europe might look into it if they got some emails from the public. Not that I want to cause trouble for Sony but I want them to be better than this and listen more to their customers.

With Steam it took fines and lawsuits before they finally implemented a decent refund policy. I think that's what it's going to take for Sony too. As well, agreed on listening more to their customers. It's terrible customer service that @Nym has to go through all this just to cancel a pre-order or that people can't get refunds. I mostly stick with physical and occasionally buy DLC or games not available on disc on the PS store, but their policies have made it so I will never invest heavily in a digital library with PS.

• Informative

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Why would you pre-order a virtual product anyway? The "storefront" isn't gonna run out.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Legislation+public pressure
I think legislation is not a issue here.
I mean the legislation rule that you have a way (channel) to cancel (pre) orders but each company can to your own way (channel).
So Sony is not doing anything wrong in legislation point.

Public pressure seems to be the only way to force a company to improve their cancel channel.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Why would you pre-order a virtual product anyway? The "storefront" isn't gonna run out.
I can say for myself that there are two big advantages in preorders digital games:
  1. You can pre-load early (that makes me preorder games one day before release to have a whole day to preload before the launch).
  2. The preorder bonus is good (yes even digital have some nice preorder bonus... not all games of course).
Anyway I usually preorder in the week of the release... I don't pre-load with way much time before the release.
IMO if the game one of these I usually will preorder it.

Sloane_Ranger

Icon Extra
3 Jul 2023
I have cancelled two different pre-orders from PSN in the last 18 months. I used their online chatbot - had 0 issues, money was back in my online wallet by the next day, with an email confirmation that my wallet fund had changed. I had not pre-downloaded.

Was I just the exception to the rule?

EDIT: I'm in the US

OP
OP
Nym

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
I have cancelled two different pre-orders from PSN in the last 18 months. I used their online chatbot - had 0 issues, money was back in my online wallet by the next day, with an email confirmation that my wallet fund had changed. I had not pre-downloaded.

Was I just the exception to the rule?

EDIT: I'm in the US

I suppose it depends on when you are doing it, but my first experience doing this took over 3 and a half hours waiting in a queue, to do something I should be able to do myself with a couple of clicks, like I can with Amazon preorders.

Sloane_Ranger

Icon Extra
3 Jul 2023
I suppose it depends on when you are doing it, but my first experience doing this took over 3 and a half hours waiting in a queue, to do something I should be able to do myself with a couple of clicks, like I can with Amazon preorders.

Can't remember the time of day / day of week - but yeah that could have altered my results.