Why is Gaming considerd a "waste" of time?

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Why does this topic always come up with the maionstream media? why is watching Netflic or mindlessly scrolling on instagram considered normal but not gaming?

There's guys who get high on drugs, in and out of jail, alcoholics, give money to women on Onlyfans, dead beat fathers

But men who yo play vidya games are bad?

1689811161106.png

why does it matter if two grown men are standing 20 feet apart and throwing sand bags into a wood box vs 2 grown men from different countries battling dragons involving tons of strategy and skill and being able to interact with interesting people not restricted to proximity?

Why do boomers complain about videogames?

Yet we have people who play chess, some people even being addicted to it, and no one talks about that. Chess is even glorified in movies .

Reactions: JAHGamer and Puff

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Yeah, I take issue with this characterization of gaming too.

There are games that waste your time.... grindy, live service type games where you get nothing from it after dozens of hours.

On the other hand, if you enjoy the gameplay and are making memories with friends, that turns the situation around and gives it all value.

I tend to keep my gaming time focused on using my time well and buying titles I know I will love and be highly invested in and remember forever.... games like FFXVI, GOW, Ratchet and Clank RA, Ghost of Tsushima etc.... when I finish them, they are like reading a great novel, something I truly immersed myself in and enjoyed to the maximum. That's why having a physical edition is nice, it sits on my shelf like a great book.

That's part of why I don't like the devaluation and commodification of gaming.... all you can eat, cheap as you can get, disposable, forgettable and focused on wasting peoples time, rather than USING peoples time.

Games should enrich your life and make memories.... not whittle away your time like it means nothing.

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
Its due to jealously in my opinion. Especially when it comes to boomers who hate on gaming because they didn't have video games when they were kids.

• brain
Reactions: Box and Bryank75

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
The skill it takes to play most games well don’t translate to anything outside of gaming. I don’t mean hand eye coordination, either. I’m talking S Rank, high level skill. It doesn’t translate to anything.

I like gaming as a pastime. Whether it makes me richer or affects my actual life beyond personal enjoyment is a bonus.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
The skill it takes to play most games well don’t translate to anything outside of gaming. I don’t mean hand eye coordination, either. I’m talking S Rank, high level skill. It doesn’t translate to anything.

I like gaming as a pastime. Whether it makes me richer or affects my actual life beyond personal enjoyment is a bonus.

Studies show that it has a lot of psychological and physical health benefits as well as improving memory. historically people thought reading and writing were a waste of time.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Everything you do is going to be a waste of time to someone else. I play games because I like (some of them :LOL:) and that's it, just like I watch movies, listen to music.

Once you have reached a certain standard of living your life doesn't need to revolve around maximizing productivity unless that is something you are after.

Its due to jealously in my opinion. Especially when it comes to boomers who hate on gaming because they didn't have video games when they were kids.
I know people that will openly say they hate games, can't even explain why but would never understand if you were to tell them that you hate movies or music.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's because they are a consumptive hobby that can suck up a lot of time. They are also designed to make you feel like you accomplish something (personally I think Xbox achievements and Sony Trophies are embarrassing) when you don't. Building up characters, stats, etc. Meanwhile your real life is likely going nowhere. Again, if you play them constantly.

Played in moderation they are fine. If they are your all consuming hobby outside of a 9-5 you are destined for mediocrity. If you're ok with that, then no issue.

This goes for really any hobby that can impact your real life in a negative way. I just think it's easier for games to have that effect than something like reading, because of their more inherently addictive nature. Then you add in they have been largely considered a kids pastime since they began, it just tends to be a bad look on adults.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Cold hard truth its because they are (no matter what statistics say) not as popular among women. Binge watching a Netflix series can take as long as playing an RPG at times. That became a cool thing to do, while hardcore gaming is not quite there.

Reactions: Box
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Cold hard truth its because they are (no matter what statistics say) not as popular among women. Binge watching a Netflix series can take as long as playing an RPG at times. That became a cool thing to do, while hardcore gaming is not quite there.

We also have Boomers who spend all their free time arguing with strangers on Facebook about politics, yet they consider gaming to be a "waste of time".

It's because they are a consumptive hobby that can suck up a lot of time. They are also designed to make you feel like you accomplish something (personally I think Xbox achievements and Sony Trophies are embarrassing) when you don't. Building up characters, stats, etc. Meanwhile your real life is likely going nowhere. Again, if you play them constantly.

Played in moderation they are fine. If they are your all consuming hobby outside of a 9-5 you are destined for mediocrity. If you're ok with that, then no issue.

This goes for really any hobby that can impact your real life in a negative way. I just think it's easier for games to have that effect than something like reading, because of their more inherently addictive nature. Then you add in they have been largely considered a kids pastime since they began, it just tends to be a bad look on adults.
Ancient societies used to think reading and writing were a waste of time, and that the world would collapse. It's pretty funny in hindsight but i feel in the future people will see gaming as a productive pastime.
znct7zwsrk4b1.jpg

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
We also have Boomers who spend all their free time arguing with strangers on Facebook about politics, yet they consider gaming to be a "waste of time".

Ancient societies used to think reading and writing were a waste of time, and that the world would collapse. It's pretty funny in hindsight but i feel in the future people will see gaming as a productive pastime.
View attachment 1914
Well I don’t really see how that tablet says reading and writing are a waste of time. No mention of reading is made. Indeed this is a written tablet lol. It’s possible the meaning of that passage is “everyone thinks himself so smart and wise as to be worth reading.” But I could be wrong.

I think most of us know that games can be a really great experience. But just like anything else it has plenty of crap that’s a waste of time.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
A while ago i was having lunch at a restaurant with my sister and her husbands family(ugh)

Anyways i was chatting to one of her husbands relative, when this dude found about i played video games holy shit the confused and borderline disgusted vibe he gave me, like "you still play video games"? I never bought it up, this kid who was sitting next to me who knew i played video games as i've spoken to him before, just started talking to about the next gta.

And this mofo had the cheek to then go talk about some bum ass reality tv show he watches.

Folks will watch the most brain rotting shit on tv, and then look down on those who play video games which actually require some use of your brain.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
No one would ever consider marathon streaming sessions to not also be a waste of time. There’s no difference.

Actually, television is lazier. Games require user interaction and can stimulate the mind with puzzle and gameskill challenges.

Many hobbies are a waste of time. It’s not necessarily like playing an instrument, going to they gym or building a rc car but eh… it’s something.

I do consider it a waste of time but doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy it. So it’s not a waste of time… personally. Because I place value in it.

Gaming addictions are the least concerning of vice related disease in the world. Laziness and obesity is number one.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Mainly because for a long time gamers were associated with a negative image of fat nerds with no jobs living in their parents basements. No one wanted their kids ending up like one of those people which is why gaming was frowned upon and things like sports and instruments were promoted as the superior alternative.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
First time I hear that in over 30 years playing games 🤔

Most gamers in my generation were dorks that went to the gym everyday because we felt out of place and ostracized. I couldn’t them then anywhere else in my life. Even as a teenager your peers expected to to evolve out of it somehow. This has yet to be true for even my friends with larger households now.

It definitely seems more “hip” now just like everything else that’s popular.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
They are a waste because they are a huge time sink and they make some people isolate themselves, playing online is self isolation.

If you have kids this is easy to spot, they get in some kind of trans when they play, they're not happy, but somehow they are satisfied... Yet the games keep them stimulated so they keep going through the motions, when you remove them they show signs of withdrawal and aggression, especially with portable devices.

Thake that same kid outside for play, preferably with friends and you see them in their truly happy form, smiling, laughing, etc. Completely alive. This is why parents need to have real limits to how much time their kids play videogames and which games they play.

For adults the same problems can happen, we just become better at isolation and nobody will come to tell us we need to move our asses at least one hour a day.

Video games are great, just don't do to much, same as drugs and alcohol.

Chess, movies or even books don't do this, outdoors activities or group sports don't do this at all.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Most gamers in my generation were dorks that went to the gym everyday because we felt out of place and ostracized. I couldn’t them then anywhere else in my life. Even as a teenager your peers expected to to evolve out of it somehow. This has yet to be true for even my friends with larger households now.

It definitely seems more “hip” now just like everything else that’s popular.
You made a good point...

Anyway sharing something personal... I tried go to gym twice in my life (one of these times I regularry keep going about 1 month) and every single day I was there it doing physical exercices I keep thinking "I could be gaming", "I could be eating", "I could be working", "I cloud be drinking beer", "I cloud be watching TV", "I cloud be gaming", "I cloud be sleeping", "I cloud be doing something else", etc.

It was painful.

And I reallized that for me it was the biggest waste time in my life.
So I never tried to go gym again.

I'm the opposite of that society view :p

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
You made a good point...

Anyway sharing something personal... I tried go to gym twice in my life (one of these times I regularry keep going about 1 month) and every single day I was there it doing physical exercices I keep thinking "I could be gaming", "I could be eating", "I could be working", "I cloud be drinking beer", "I cloud be watching TV", "I cloud be gaming", "I cloud be sleeping", "I cloud be doing something else", etc.

It was painful.

Gyms suck big time.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
You made a good point...

It was painful.

45 mins a day suffices a shit ton. To be honest how i got started was combing gaming with exercise in between. Since I liked fighters, racers and online games. After each loss I would do push ups or pull ups. Helped that at the time I was watching goku in the hyperbolic time chamber. Like I’m saying… there’s an overlap as a 90s kid. Helps that all are action figures looked like Arnold back then too. Luke Skywalker with a 20 inch arms? You got it!

Any gamer I meet these days outside of the gym is probably a decade younger than me.