Why is Insomniac Games Incapable of making a successful new IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Sleepy Brown

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
Why are people still entertaining this troll thread?
Troll thread? So tell me which successful new IP Insomniac has created in the last 15 years?
I mean they just got bought because they don't own any ips. Now they under Sony umbrella. They are one of the best developers in the world right now.
They release spiderman, ratchet, mile morales, next spiderman 2, wolverine and what else god knows they have plenty of developers. For you to have an idea.
They are only 4 years in sonys umbrella now theybdont have to worry about making a game to keep the studio afloat they will go nuts.
Look at the level of ratchet compared to the previous ones before they were aquire. The scope of spiderman the first game of the franchise.
Dude imsoniac are in another league.
Spiderman 2 will outsell everything next year or whenever it comes out.
They got money from Sony to create Sony 1st party games before Sony bought them. They received Microsoft funding for Sunset Overdrive.
Money wasn't the problem. The problem is that Insomniac can't create their own successful IPs.

Yes, Spider-Man will sell great. That's why Insomniac will keep making Marvel games. Because they can't make their own successful IPs like Naughty Dog, Guerrilla or Sucker Punch. That's is the point of this thread.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
I don't know why they really need to be capable of that, most developers aren't.

Most of their past games were hardly attempts at big AAA franchises or anything either.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Troll thread? So tell me which successful new IP Insomniac has created in the last 15 years?

They got money from Sony to create Sony 1st party games before Sony bought them. They received Microsoft funding for Sunset Overdrive.
Money wasn't the problem. The problem is that Insomniac can't create their own successful IPs.

Yes, Spider-Man will sell great. That's why Insomniac will keep making Marvel games. Because they can't make their own successful IPs like Naughty Dog, Guerrilla or Sucker Punch. That's is the point of this thread.

You mean yet?
You keep bringing sunset Overdrive. The game reviewed well. The problem was releasing on xbox. Literally everything releasing on xbox bombed. And they got acquired by Sony which makes kinda pointless having a sequel. How many games out there are still running like ratchet?
And what's up with your obsession with new ip? New ips are risky. You talk like being naughty dog is easy. There is only one studio that can compete with naughty dog and that us Rockstar. They are untouchable. Look at the pokemon company, they can't make anything else. Just an example.

Your thread is pretty much grasping straws because. Because imsoniac are just in another level baby

Reactions: Swift_Star
OP
OP
Sleepy Brown

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
You mean yet?
You keep bringing sunset Overdrive. The game reviewed well. The problem was releasing on xbox.
Sunset Overdrive's problem was being Sunset Overdrive. It would have flopped on PS4 too.
Your thread is pretty much grasping straws because. Because imsoniac are just in another level baby
"Grasping straws"? The thread title is "Why is Insomniac incapable of making a successful new IP". It's a fact that they are struggling to make their own successful IPs. That's why they are a Marvel factory now.
"...just in another level baby"? Level of what exactly? Working on foreign licenses they don't own? I mean yeah, they made a better Marvel game than Crystal Dynamics. That's something I guess.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Why are people still entertaining this troll thread? (Also why am I replying?)

yeah, this is a pretty elaborate troll thread from and already suspect propagandist user.

got any free WelfarePass codes to hand out, by any chance?

We're part of the the problem for giving these threads attention lol :(
It's still fun to read 😆 These threads wouldn't be allowed anywhere else so let's enjoy them while it lasts.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Sunset Overdrive's problem was being Sunset Overdrive. It would have flopped on PS4 too.

"Grasping straws"? The thread title is "Why is Insomniac incapable of making a successful new IP". It's a fact that they are struggling to make their own successful IPs. That's why they are a Marvel factory now.
"...just in another level baby"? Level of what exactly? Working on foreign licenses they don't own? I mean yeah, they made a better Marvel game than Crystal Dynamics. That's something I guess.
Nah sunset Overdrive problem was xbox. Game is great. Loads of fun, tight gameplay. All the recipes fir success, but unfortunately xbox failed miserably.

They also made better Marvel games than Activision and pretty everyone else who made Marvel games. Spiderman 2 is pretty much the biggest game releasing next year

Reactions: Hobbygaming

Three

24 Jun 2022
So you think Insomniac isn't struggling with making successful new IPs?
Even Bend Studio's terrible Days Gone game was more successful than Resistance or Sunset Overdrive.
Because it's difficult to make a new successful ip regardless of the dev. Days Gone wasn't more successful than Resistance or Ratchet and Clank.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
does this seem OK to you? (Metacritic)

2022 PS5 releases not on Xbox
  1. (SONY) Horizon: Forbidden West - 88
  2. (SONY) GT7 - 88
  3. (SONY) Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves - 87
  4. (SONY) SIFU - 81
  5. (KADOKOWA) Relayer - 77
  6. (BETHESDA) ghostwire tokyo - 75
  7. (SQUARE-ENIX) The centennial case: a Shijima Story - 71
  8. (NIS) Disgaea 6 complete - 71
  9. (NIS) Yurukill - 71
  10. (NIS) monark - 61
  11. (SQUARE-ENIX) babylon's fall - 41

2022 Xbox releases not on PS5
  1. (MICROSOFT/SMILEBIT/REMEDY) Crossfire X - 38
Why is Microsoft incapable of releasing games?

Why is Microsoft incapable of even generating a single 3rd party exclusive, let alone creating a game themself? How is it possible that in a banner year like 2022 a publisher as big as Microsoft has released one 38-rated game (A repurposed Korean F2P shooter originally released in 2007)?

it all makes sense when you realize Microsoft didn't intend to release anything. They don't care. They've ripped off and lied to every single xbox series owner.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
They're not incapable, Sunset Overdrive was great but it was shackled to the Xbone. Not going to address the other shit you said because this is all blatant bait.
Was it really great? I think it gets overhyped because it was an Xbox game when it didn't have anything going on for it. To me the entire visuals and attempt at humor in that game are repulsive.

Insomniac still come up short when it comes to story, like ND gets a lot of hate for their "leftists agenda" in TLoU2 but Miles Morales is a lot more preachy, cringe and less subtle. But it's harmless enough and that it doesn't get in the way of it still being a pretty good game. Those Danika podcasts you get to listen are pure torture compared to how fun listening to JJJ is.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022

Still waiting for your 343 thread, you know, the studio created with the sole intent to take over MS's most successful IP and failed miserably to take it out of mediocrity.

OP
OP
Sleepy Brown

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
Nah sunset Overdrive problem was xbox. Game is great. Loads of fun, tight gameplay. All the recipes fir success, but unfortunately xbox failed miserably.
Sunset Ovedrive failed miserably. The problem was the game. Not the platform. Xbox sold great in NA and Sunset Overdrive still flopped. Even with a big marketing campaign and a Limited Edition console.
Because it's difficult to make a new successful ip regardless of the dev. Days Gone wasn't more successful than Resistance or Ratchet and Clank.
It's save to assume that Days Gone sold over 6 million copies so far. No Ratchet or Resistance game sold that much.
The Ratchet PS4 game came close. Again, it's a PS2 era platformer. The topic is "Insomniac is struggling to create a new successful IP".
Still waiting for your 343 thread, you know, the studio created with the sole intent to take over MS's most successful IP and failed miserably to take it out of mediocrity.
Why should I make a 343 thread? I don't give a damn about 343 or Halo.
This thread is about Insomniac. They are a Marvel factory now, just like 343 is a Halo factory.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Sunset Ovedrive failed miserable. The problem was the game. Not the platform. Xbox sold great in NA and Sunset Overdrive still flopped. Even with a big marketing campaign and a Limited Edition console.
No one wanted xbox one. Having a limited console was pointless. Hell even killzone shadow fall sold very well and it wasn't a great game. Sunset exclusive to ps4 would have done so much better. I enjoy the the game. Gameplay is addictive as hell.
Literally everything on xbone bombed. So kinda pointless bruh

OP
OP
Sleepy Brown

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
No one wanted xbox one.
The Xbox One sold over 31.5 million units in NA. And Sunset Ovedrive still didn't manage to sell at least 1 million copies. Worldwide! With bundles and a huge marketing campaign. The game was the problem, my guy. Not the console.
The same reason why Fuse flopped.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Swift_Star

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
SSO didn't fit the xbox demographic. quality game on the wrong console. the aesthetic was counter to everything xbox customers want (Basically just grey and brown shooters and racing games). Plus with no history of Insomniac games on the platform, no one on xbox was giving them the benefit of the doubt.

the game also released in 2014 when xbox one was at it's lowest in sales and perception. The game stood no chance.

WoolleyGamer

WoolleyGamer
Content Creator
27 Jun 2022
youtube.com
Why is Sony's 1st party studio "Insomniac Games" so bad at making successful original IPs?
They tried before with Sony's help. They had huge budgets and big marketing campaigns for Resistance and it never became a blockbuster hit franchise.
They tried with Microsoft's help. Sunset Overdrive had a big budget and a huge Xbox marketing campaign and the game still flopped and didn't even sell a million copies on Xbox.

They thought VR might save them and so they made Edge of Nowhere and Stormland. But like with most VR games they had little to no success.
Song of the Deep, Fuse, Fruit Fusion.. all flops.
All the have is Ratchet & Clank. A 2 decade old action-adventure/platformer hybrid.
And they had to bundle Rift Apart like crazy to sell over 1 million copies on the PS5.

Well they finally struck gold with the Spider-Man game. A reskinned Sunset Overdrive but with Spider-Man as the main character. A Marvel IP.
They realized they can't make their own IPs, so now it's all about licensed Marvel IPs. Spider-Man, Wolverine, Miles...
(Let's ignore the GaaS they're working. But maybe this one will be a Marvel game too.)

Marvel fans and console warriors are talking a lot about Insomniac on social media these days because they're making Spider-man games.
But the reality is: Take the Marvel IPs away (which will happen some day) and Insomniac will be left with the Ratchet & Clank IP. Nothing more.
And when Sony realizes that they have a huge AAA studio that is struggling to make successful games... they will do the same thing they did with Evolution Studios, Cambridge Studio or Liverpool Studio.

Insomniac needs more talent. Hiring some Marvel comic fanboys won't be a long-term solution.
Maybe they should try what Guerrilla, Bend Studio, Sucker Punch or Santa Monica Studio are doing these days. Copying Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed games.
Just call it "Ghost of Bloodborne" and make another Sony/Ubisoft open-world game set in the Victorian era. It might sell more than Resistance, Ratchet & Clank and Sunset Overdrive combined.

Why is Sony's 1st party studio "Insomniac Games" so bad at making successful original IPs?
They tried before with Sony's help. They had huge budgets and big marketing campaigns for Resistance and it never became a blockbuster hit franchise.
They tried with Microsoft's help. Sunset Overdrive had a big budget and a huge Xbox marketing campaign and the game still flopped and didn't even sell a million copies on Xbox.

They thought VR might save them and so they made Edge of Nowhere and Stormland. But like with most VR games they had little to no success.
All the have is Ratchet & Clank. A 2 decade old action-adventure/platformer hybrid.
And they had to bundle Rift Apart like crazy to sell over 1 million copies on the PS5.

Well they finally struck gold with the Spider-Man game. A reskinned Sunset Overdrive but with Spider-Man as the main character. A Marvel IP.
They realized they can't make their own IPs, so now it's all about licensed Marvel IPs. Spider-Man, Wolverine, Miles...
(Let's ignore the GaaS they're working. But maybe this one will be a Marvel game too.)

Marvel fans and console warriors are talking a lot about Insomniac on social media these days because they're making Spider-man games.
But the reality is: Take the Marvel IPs away (which will happen some day) and Insomniac will be left with the Ratchet & Clank IP. Nothing more.
And when Sony realizes that they have a huge AAA studio that is struggling to make successful games... they will do the same thing they did with Evolution Studios, Cambridge Studio or Liverpool Studio.

Insomniac needs more talent. Hiring some Marvel comic fanboys won't be a long-term solution.
Maybe they should try what Guerrilla, Bend Studio, Sucker Punch or Santa Monica Studio are doing these days. Copying Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed games.
Just call it "Ghost of Bloodborne" and make another Sony/Ubisoft open-world game set in the Victorian era. It might sell more than Resistance, Ratchet & Clank and Sunset Overdrive combined.
Bro... if Sunset had released on playstation I'm damn sure there would already be a Sunset 2 out right now. As it would have sold like hot cakes and been successful. I'd also argue that Sunset and spiderman play extremely differently. In virtually every sense. I think on a technical level their games have consistently proven to show Insomniac as some of the most talented devs in the industry. Miles Morales puts Gotham Knights to shame. So this isn't about a lack of talent. More gaming climate and optics. I say optics because think about this... forza h 5 - across all platforms sold under 2m copies. Its only touted as more successful than it actually is because of its ease of access through "players" not buyers - thanks to gamepass. And even then the playerbase fell off fast. Is Ratchet then, with it's 1m across just 20m consoles max, really something to scoff at?

Let's face it... Insomniac are leading the industry right now. They've created the innovation that is 40hz mode. They implemented machine learning before anyone else in a console game. And they have set the rayracing standard on par with ID doom eternal - but across an entire open city. Insane when you really think about it. Especially for a cross gen title no fully utilising the hardware. So let's give props where props are due 👊🏼❤️

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Wtf are you talking about? Insomniac created top IPs like Spyro, Ratchet, Resistance and made probably the best (or one of the best) superhero games series ever with their Spider-Man. These are more successful IPs than any MS studio.

They didn't make more IPs or didn't make sequels of other new IPs they created because they didn't want, or because they decided it was a better idea to make sequels or to use some of the biggest IPs in the world like Spider-Man and soon Wolverine.

Azuren

9 Jul 2022

1. Bait.

2. Insomniac has made some of the best and most gorgeous games in the planet using the Spider-Man IP.

3. Insomniac made Spyro, Ratchet, and Resistance- all banger IPs.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
the launch games for xbox one were terrible though. i know people remember them fondly but let's be honest, they only look good in retrospect when comparing to them Xbox's non existent 2016-and-onwards lineup.

I keep hearing about low-rated lauch jank like Ryse Son of Rome (A QTE button mash game), Dead Rising 3 (a maybe 7/10 best brainless zombie basher) and Quantum Break (Which was completely forgettable) precisely because Xbox has had nothing since.

The fact that RYSE is being discussed seriously 10 years later is all you need to know.

Xbox owners are dying for mature, AAA games with realistic visuals and MS just refuses to give them what they want.

I thought Phil Spencer launching Xbox One X with nothing but SUPER LUCKY TALE was baffling, and that things really couldn't get worse... but then I saw the Series X lineup. Yikes.

OP
OP
Sleepy Brown

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
Bro... if Sunset had released on playstation I'm damn sure there would already be a Sunset 2 out right now. As it would have sold like hot cakes and been successful.
Like there was a Fuse 2 while Fuse 1 sold millions on PS3?
Sunset Overdrive wasn't successful because it was Sunset Overdrive. Stop blaming Xbox. This thread is about Insomniac struggling to make their own successful IP. And they are. That's why they are a Marvel factory now.
Let's face it... Insomniac are leading the industry right now. They've created the innovation that is 40hz mode. They implemented machine learning before anyone else in a console game. And they have set the rayracing standard on par with ID doom eternal - but across an entire open city. Insane when you really think about it. Especially for a cross gen title no fully utilising the hardware. So let's give props where props are due 👊🏼❤️
Leading the industry in what? Surely not making the best games, because I see many more games out there with way better reviews.
This thread is about Insomniac struggling to make their own successful IP. Not about Insomniac implementing raytracing to one of their Marvel games.
Making their OWN SUCCESSFUL IPs.
Wtf are you talking about? Insomniac created top IPs like Spyro, Ratchet, Resistance and made probably the best (or one of the best) superhero games series ever with their Spider-Man. These are more successful IPs than any MS studio.
Insomniac made Spyro, Ratchet, and Resistance- all banger IPs.
Spyro was ~25 years ago. Ratchet was ~20 years ago. Resistance wasn't a big success. We already discussed this here. Spider-Man is a Marvel IP. Not Insomniac's/Sony's IP.
For over 15 years now they are struggling to make their own successful IP. That's why they kept making Ratchet games and why they are a Marvel factory now.

Status
Not open for further replies.