Why is ‘The Verge’ Pro-Microsoft and typically Anti-Sony?

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Are they required to be fair to everyone, why are we pro Sony here. I'm so tired of this toy contest eating all of your brains.
That's what journalism should be about. You have your own preferences but you lave them at the door to do your job. Journalism should be about reporting the facts and letting the readers/viewers come to their own conclusions. You don't put your own pro/anti spin on it.

None of us here have huge followings and can't spread our message to the masses. We're just a small forum discussing stuff.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
That's what journalism should be about. You have your own preferences but you lave them at the door to do your job. Journalism should be about reporting the facts and letting the readers/viewers come to their own conclusions. You don't put your own pro/anti spin on it.

None of us here have huge followings and can't spread our message to the masses. We're just a small forum discussing stuff.

This is not a good standard at all. Arguably the best reporting comes from motivated, tenacious people determined to expose wrongdoing by entrenched power centers. There aren't just "Stories" floating in the air as a feature of nature. Humans decide what is important/interesting to report on. Would you say "don't put your own pro/anti spin" on coverage of Jeffery Epstein and his totally neutral, objective island?

Also there aren't officially anointed "journalists". We are all potentially journalists if we decide to lean into it. It does happen occasionally that a forum poster is in a position to break a story nobody else can. Just recently a ton of documents related to US analysis of the Ukraine proxy war were released by a Discord poster. They didn't need an official blessing from Columbia or the Washington Post publish this material.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: BroodCorp and Nym

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This is not a good standard at all. Arguably the best reporting comes from motivated, tenacious people determined to expose wrongdoing by entrenched power centers. There aren't just "Stories" floating in the air as a feature of nature. Humans decide what is important/interesting to report on. Would you say "don't put your own pro/anti spin" on coverage of Jeffery Epstein and his totally neutral, objective island?

Also there aren't officially anointed "journalists". We are all potentially journalists if we decide to lean into it. It does happen occasionally that a forum poster is in a position to break a story nobody else can. Just recently a ton of documents related to US analysis of the Ukraine proxy war were released by a Discord poster. They didn't need an official blessing from Columbia or the Washington Post publish this material.
Yeah I wouldn't want anyone to spin reporting on the facts, even Epstein. Why do you need a slant on that? If you just reported the facts on Epstein Island (which is still not being done, where is that list of visitors?), you don't need anyone's editorializing to know he was a real bad guy.

Explosive Zombie

21 Jun 2022
A game's journalist that doesn't let their bias enter into it usually sucks, most of why IGN is hard to care about for hardcore gamers is because there's absolutely no personality to it, just a huge staff of interchangeable nobody writers, the only ones who stand out are the ones who are the most clearly stupid and deranged. I think the idea is to strive for impartiality as a journalist (as in, don't ignore evidence to other arguments) but don't hide who you are completely and give the journalism no flavor what-so-ever.

This can even be true of a whole publication, you might argue the Verge forces writers to comply with a pro-Microsoft stance but what if they just attract those writers who care more about Microsoft's role in the industry? Hard to say.

Video game journalism is the hardest type of journalism to take seriously because the ONLY thing they report on is something they actively need ad money from and review copies for. The news reporter doesn't need the serial killer community to like them enough to clue them in on the next killing or some shit lol. I mean there are politically biased news stations who get preferential treatment but you kinda know what you're in for with those, you don't go to FOX news and get mad they don't blow Biden (lately they sorta do) any more than you visit Push Square for favorable coverage of XBOX. Mission statement matters. But again, with gaming the relationship between advertising money and what they cover is too incestuous to actually root out corruption without being able to mind read.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
As a journalist I have to be fair to everyone? Says who?
Can you name any other company that pays the media to attack their competition like Microsoft does with Sony daily? Is there a Sony, Apple or Amazon equivalent to Tom Warren?

Bloomberg attacks Sony, Forbes attacks Sony, The Verge attacks Sony. You would think they are Big Pharma the way they get attacked constantly. All because of Microsoft.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Can you name any other company that pays the media to attack their competition like Microsoft does with Sony daily? Is there a Sony, Apple or Amazon equivalent to Tom Warren?

Bloomberg attacks Sony, Forbes attacks Sony, The Verge attacks Sony. You would think they are Big Pharma the way they get attacked constantly. All because of Microsoft.
Isn't Metro the same? There is literally ton of them, sucking to m$ while they are most shitty company. Hilarious.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven

How is objective reporting not a good standard? You put that tenacity behind your motivation to uncover the truth, not in the content of your report.

If you have facts about child abuse on Epstein's island, you report them. And you keep reporting facts and nothing but facts until the news get traction. You don't put a personal spin on it and embellish details to make the story more attractive, even if you have the best of intentions.

@Nym

The very ethics of journalism?

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022

No I'm not aware of who pays who for what coverage but I understand that is a reality and generally do not look to mainstream news organizations for fair and balanced opinions on basically anything.

I'm not sure what people want here it sounds like the question is why is journalism not fair in 2023 and it's a good question but my solution to garbage news outlets was to stop giving them clicks.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Because $£$£ —- Shilly Shilly Shills
Add that to Bloomberg. Eurogamer. Forbes and the host of twitter and forum Bots lol

Especially now on twitter claiming taking pictures and having dinner with Xbox marketing team doesnt mean anything. Especially if they have flights,hotel and diner paid for….lol

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
Just more a reason why I don't frequent any of those websites, and why I don't fellate these people on Twitter. They don't deserve any validation for actively enabling toxicity in gaming discourse on behalf of Microsoft, whose gaming division is ran by people who thrive off toxicity in gaming directed at their chief competitors (namely Sony).

These sort of people are worthless to gaming discussion and in my eyes are already irrelevant. Them trying to grift every now and then to being PS dudes doing the same thing but just towards Xbox (usually with kids gloves) is both cringe and disgusting.

Remember, these people are only as important as you make them.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
No I'm not aware of who pays who for what coverage but I understand that is a reality and generally do not look to mainstream news organizations for fair and balanced opinions on basically anything.

I'm not sure what people want here it sounds like the question is why is journalism not fair in 2023 and it's a good question but my solution to garbage news outlets was to stop giving them clicks.
Generally I agree with you with worldwide politics etc. They are so many paid journalists.

But when it comes to tech, I havent seen it this much. Its been obvious since the PS3/360

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Any time you have a question about this type of corporate favoritism, all you need to do is stop and ask yourself how a rag like the verge can afford to pay someone like tom warren. It ain't off the clicks from his articles that's for sure.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Because contrary to what gullible/naive ppl think Microsoft and other companies allocate money and resources to getting paid sites, astroturfers, fanboys etc to schill for them. It's amazing it took this FTC case to finally show ppl what tactics big corps use to get mind share. Sites such as these schill for a financial reason. This has been common knowledge for decades. Same with big corps, politics and newspapers.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
This should tell you what you need to know.

Man was pre-Jez Corden Jez Corden.
Lo3bcen.png

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
If I recall the particulars correctly polygon is in part funded by MS. And kotaku and their ring of sites are literally woke pushing articles as their mission statement, so MS's good guy act has been easy article traffic, perhaps.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
If I recall the particulars correctly polygon is in part funded by MS. And kotaku and their ring of sites are literally woke pushing articles as their mission statement, so MS's good guy act has been easy article traffic, perhaps.
Yeah there's alot of that. Also if you get through the subsidiary slog and investigate you'll see how many sites and schills connect to "mother Microsoft" 🤣🤣🤣