Why is ‘The Verge’ Pro-Microsoft and typically Anti-Sony?

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I feel like everyone that writes for them and most of their articles are typically pro MS and/or Anti-Sony. This is a real question, where does this bias originate from? It also makes me wonder why Sony continue to do business with them when there is a very obvious slant with their editorials. I’m not really looking for conspiracy theories i just want to know if they are directly affiliated with Microsoft somehow, like their parent company is owned by or endorsed by Microsoft.

Just some examples,

Also, all throughout the trial the past two weeks they’ve been pretty much posting nothing but positive PR on twitter for Microsoft. They haven’t been shy about being pro-merger at all.

This seems like its a open secret in the media, i mean they aren’t the only media outlet that openly shows bias towards specific companies or platforms. I’m just not sure why they continue to get the benefit of the doubt as if they aren’t.

Greg Miller openly acknowledged it last week regarding the project Q

Seems like Sony would just be setting themselves up for failure sending hardware to them at this point. Kind of how the industry has acknowledged Stevivor’ s anti-sony sentiment and stopped giving them any exclusive games because of it. There are certain outlets that get way too much attention by playing into console wars and its becoming very obvious.

I get the platform specific media sites (xbox era, push square) being biased but these tech and gaming sites that have no obvious ties to a platform playing PR for them feels gross

Last edited:

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Microsoft has always been a burden on the whole gaming industry, they tried to buy their way in from the start.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I mean you should look at the individuals...

Tom Warrior.

There is nothing more to say... one of the most addicted Xbox fan in the media.
Expecting guys like him and Grubb to be honest and imparcial is impossible.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I assume that like others as Bloomberg they may get 'finantial support' from MS.

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
money GIF

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gediminas

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Gotta get that Phil's cock in his mouth, whatever the cost.

Pardon the vulgar language but I can't stand corporate dick riders. All of them should be labeled as an employee for the company they shill for, in any and all media they present their views in.

Same goes for Sony ones, what little of them there are.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Gotta get that Phil's cock in his mouth, whatever the cost.

Pardon the vulgar language but I can't stand corporate dick riders. All of them should be labeled as an employee for the company they shill for, in any and all media they present their views in.

Same goes for Sony ones, what little of them there are.
better to make some kind of point i'd say

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
They were always like that, I always assumed they were just paid by MS.

MS is petty enough to bother with this type of stuff instead of just improving their products.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Are they required to be fair to everyone, why are we pro Sony here. I'm so tired of this toy contest eating all of your brains.

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
It's paid astroturfing. Microsoft has been doing it for decades.

Read more about it in this Microsoft internal document where they explain how they will pay media to attack their "enemies"

And more in this thread

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Are they required to be fair to everyone, why are we pro Sony here. I'm so tired of this toy contest eating all of your brains.

There's no possibility for unbiased, "objective" reporting. Even if some tech outlet is even-handed to Valve/Sony/Xbox, most are still corporate-owned, for-profit enterprises with advertising concerns. The only thing you can really do is marginalize and repel the Nintendo cultists because their souls are truly lost.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nym