Why PS would probably never make a true portable console.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Valve generates about $10-13 billion revenue each year.

Wild guess, about $1.5 - 4 billion (on the upper end) clean profit yearly.

We talking big numbers here for an acquisition.

ABK about 5-6 bill yearly profit went for $70 Billion.
Sony ain't buying Valve, that's something they should keep in mind as well. Someone else will buy Valve eventually and right now Sony supports Valve in every way possible while Valve doesn't support PlayStation in any way.

OP
OP
historia

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Any company that would not buy Valve if they could is just extremely stupid. The problem is that Valve is unlikely to go on sale as long as Gabe is around and when they are on sale Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon, MS will all show up to bid for it.

If you ask Valve they will say that the Steam Deck is a success for them yet it took them 10 years+ of investment, it sells less than the Vita. So Sony is only interested in stuff that doesn't require any effort? What a great company.

If PlayStation thinks like you do, it will defenetly not be around in 10 years.
To be fair, Xbox will definitely cease to exist in the next 10 years if Phil at helm too, throwing money at shit and waiting for shit to hit the wall.

I think Playstation got a great market analyst, and don't react on market trend asap.

By your logic, Nintendo will not be around next 10 years because they don't react to market trend? Of course not.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I believe Vita showed they can't support two platforms.
And without 1st-party and 3rd-party support any platform will be dead.

Remember that even making a deal for a BioShock game for Vita it never become a game because it is too much time and $$$ for console developers to convert or make games for a portable platform.

Nintendo realized that.
So they choose to make a unique platform... two platforms doesn't work (see Wii U and 3DS... only one will be sucessful).

Not only do these gaming companies not have the manpower and resources to support multiple platforms but they don’t have the IP power. Nintendo can’t compete with home consoles with low power and the playstation fanbase just generally aren’t interested in playing downgraded versions of their big AAAA games and sports titles. Nintendo pretty much became a portable game maker.

The peopel that want dedicated handheld games are in a minority in the playstation install base. The project Q is the best compromise between all of them.

If i can stream or remote play spider-man 2 from my bed with ease I’d rather have that than another platform sony isn’t going to properly support.

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
Valve generates about $10-13 billion revenue each year.

Wild guess, about $1.5 - 4 billion (on the upper end) clean profit yearly.

We talking big numbers here for an acquisition.

ABK about 5-6 bill yearly profit went for $70 Billion.
ABK makes 2 billion dollars in net income. Not 5-6 billion. Their revenue is around 8 billion dollars.

I think the other reason for ABK price was their cash on hand, which is like 13 billion dollars.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 223
D

Deleted member 223

ABK makes 2 billion dollars in net income. Not 5-6 billion. Their revenue is around 8 billion dollars.

I think the other reason for ABK price was their cash on hand, which is like 13 billion dollars.
Corrected. Googled ABK profit, and posted gross number ball park, not net, while talking about Valve as "clean" aka net. The point driven still applies, that is, you ain't looking at a small 3-6 billion acquisition here. You're going upper bound to the tens. That's major money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
Corrected. Googled ABK profit, and posted gross number ball park, not net, while talking about Valve as "clean" aka net. The point driven still applies, that is, you ain't looking at a small 3-6 billion acquisition here. You're going upper bound to the tens. That's major money.
According to Google Valve made 13 billion dollars in revenue. How much of that is profit is not known. I say they are worth 20-30 billion depending on their net income, but this website say Valve is worth $7.7 billion in 2022.

24 Jun 2022
Valve released a portable PC that may or may not run whatever PC game you throw at it.

If Sony released a handheld PS4 it would must run all PS4 games whatever it takes. This would mean full compute, memory bandwidth, latency and instruction set parity with the PS4's hardware.
With Wide I/O pretty much dead, the only way to get 200GB/s of low-power memory on a SoC would be to use LPDDR5 on a 256bit bus which even on Apple products you only get with the ~65W M2 Pro. Or they could use super expensive HBM that probably costs as much as all the rest combined nowadays.
And with the close-to-metal development for most PS4 1st party games, using L3 on the GPU could be useless.

I don't know where people get this idea that HBM is some super-expensive memory: it isn't.

If this is correct, then even in 2020, a GB of lower-speed HBM went for around $7.50. Now, the upper limit of HBM 1 is 1 GT/s, or 128 GB/s for a 4-Hi package (4-Hi being the limit). I'm sure HBM2 would cost more per GB, but not astronomically more, especially considering Sony would only need to hit PS4 bandwidth of 176 GB/s.

A 4-Hi stack of 8 GB low-speed HBM2 would probably not cost them more than $45, at the volumes Sony could order. The interposer may add a bit more to that, but again, at good volumes, not anything dramatically north of an additional $5. We're talking about a portable that'd probably have a MSRP of $399; that leaves more than enough room for this memory, as well as all other necessary components, while still selling it for a pretty decent profit margin out of the gate.

D

Deleted member 223

According to Google Valve made 13 billion dollars in revenue. How much of that is profit is not known. I say they are worth 20-30 billion depending on their net income, but this website say Valve is worth $7.7 billion in 2022.
I'm more in agreement with your number than $7.7 billion. I opined before prob around 10-20 billion. Taking ABK's deal into account, I can see 30 billion too as an overpay to close the deal, in this environment, both competitive wise and generally economics wise.
---------------------------------------------

👀: Steam gamers’ most frequently used Operating System was Windows, with 95.44% of the OS used by players on the Steam platform.

Daddy MS always around, no matter what the Linux fans say, a cause I support mind you. Windows/MS is PC for gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
historia

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I don't know where people get this idea that HBM is some super-expensive memory: it isn't.

If this is correct, then even in 2020, a GB of lower-speed HBM went for around $7.50. Now, the upper limit of HBM 1 is 1 GT/s, or 128 GB/s for a 4-Hi package (4-Hi being the limit). I'm sure HBM2 would cost more per GB, but not astronomically more, especially considering Sony would only need to hit PS4 bandwidth of 176 GB/s.

A 4-Hi stack of 8 GB low-speed HBM2 would probably not cost them more than $45, at the volumes Sony could order. The interposer may add a bit more to that, but again, at good volumes, not anything dramatically north of an additional $5. We're talking about a portable that'd probably have a MSRP of $399; that leaves more than enough room for this memory, as well as all other necessary components, while still selling it for a pretty decent profit margin out of the gate.
HBM cannot be used on board, it has to be stacked inside the SoC or APU. So Sony have to design an APU or SoC rather than ordering one from AMD like other. It also won't solve thermal and battery issue caused by x86 architecture running at high clock speed.
ad70919ba7124735ebdecbb717f331e8_XL.jpg

m1_chip.jpeg

OP
OP
historia

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Nintendo Switch OLED consumes whooping 3-4W while playing Zelda TOTK at medium brightness.

While other PC handheld to pull at least 1.87 TFLOPs will have to pull at least 16-18W.

Presume that Sony also using x86, it has to pack 60-80Wh battery to get close go Switch number.

24 Jun 2022
HBM cannot be used on board, it has to be stacked inside the SoC or APU. So Sony have to design an APU or SoC rather than ordering one from AMD like other. It also won't solve thermal and battery issue caused by x86 architecture running at high clock speed.
ad70919ba7124735ebdecbb717f331e8_XL.jpg

m1_chip.jpeg

Is that not what customizations are for? AMD have experience with HBM-based designs, going back to Vega, and more recently with the A100/A300 series.

More than sure they would be willing to work with Sony on designing an HBM-friendly APU, and better to get that experience now than wait until later. HBM is notably more power-efficient than GDDR, about in line with DDR memories, so that would help to a degree in dealing with thermals.

Another thing that would help is, we would be talking about an APU with thermal-efficient GPU architecture like RNDA3 or RNDA4, or something in-between. A PS4-level design doesn't actually mean using the same GCN and Jaguar architecture designs, after all Sony achieved BC for PS4 on PS5 despite switching architectures.

Nintendo Switch OLED consumes whooping 3-4W while playing Zelda TOTK at medium brightness.

While other PC handheld to pull at least 1.87 TFLOPs will have to pull at least 16-18W.

Presume that Sony also using x86, it has to pack 60-80Wh battery to get close go Switch number.

16-18 W is still more than reasonable. We're not talking about a portable that's directly competing with the Switch, it doesn't need to hit Switch OLED power consumption targets to be an efficient or justified design.

The battery needing to be larger, again, isn't too big an issue. We're talking about a portable that would be positioned at a higher pricing tier, $399 - $449 MSRP with a decent profit margin, sold as an outright portable PS4 with 100% software compatibility. Able to play all PS5 games via cloud streaming and Remote Play, and select PS5 games natively depending on their scope and performance needs (if they can be reasonably scaled down to a PS4 Portable spec, then it can be a cross-gen game with native PS4 Portable support).

Reactions: ksdixon
OP
OP
historia

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Is that not what customizations are for? AMD have experience with HBM-based designs, going back to Vega, and more recently with the A100/A300 series.

More than sure they would be willing to work with Sony on designing an HBM-friendly APU, and better to get that experience now than wait until later. HBM is notably more power-efficient than GDDR, about in line with DDR memories, so that would help to a degree in dealing with thermals.

Another thing that would help is, we would be talking about an APU with thermal-efficient GPU architecture like RNDA3 or RNDA4, or something in-between. A PS4-level design doesn't actually mean using the same GCN and Jaguar architecture designs, after all Sony achieved BC for PS4 on PS5 despite switching architectures.
So potentially an 4 cores/ 8 threads CPU(Jaguar is 8 cores 8 threads) running at 1.6Ghz multi-threading and a GPU running at 800 Mhz. So 1.2-1.6-2.0-2.4 Ghz should be clocks speed for CPU and 400-800-1200 Mhz should be the clock speeds for GPU.

RDNA 3 also taking in dual issue FP32 so PS4 games could take use of it? So 12 CUs, 2 disable for yields effect, 1 in idle. With 3 SE per CUs like Viola, it could reach maxium at 2.16 at 1.2Ghz single issue FP32. Die size should be below 150 nm2.

TFLOPs calcuation for PS4 mode would be 1.36 TFLOPs single FP32 or 2.72 TFLOPs dual FP32. With better architecture that is probably enough to run PS4 apps, assuming all 9 CUs take work of 2 GCN CUs, I guess that is what dual-issue are for.

For storage they probably go with EMMC, probably 512GB is enough for like just under 50 USD, while support UHS-II SD Card.

Battery wise, probably 7.7V 5200mAh ot 3.85V at 10400mAh to reach 40Wh. At energy saving setup 1.2 Ghz CPU, 400 Mhz CPU, it should draw 4W of power, which is up to 10 hours of battery like the Switch. Power comsuming game would use max power setup, which is 16W, which is 2.5 hours. For PS4 mode, 8W which is 5 hours of battery.

Sony also supply panels so no cost there, 1080p IPS LCD with anti-glaring probably enough.

I think it might probably costs some where around 300-350 USD per unit. They could sell it at 350 to compete with Switch 2.

Also it doesn't need parity like the retarded Series so some AA games can be downscaled. Still I think it needs good system seller to contest with Switch. Probably the new "PS Portable" sells 60-70 mil wi be a huge success.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Just release more games on steam. Same difference but better.
No, that's the same wasted time and effort as porting games to Android would be.

I have PS games. Getting a PS4 OS handheld device out there is the best plan. It can be digital only, it can have a cut down OS menu, like PSNow's PS3 OS menu.

I'm sure Sony would make more money getting that device into people's hands, even if it was £500 that's approximately 7.7 game purchases at £70 each. Once I own this PS4P my future games are going to go there too. I'm going to serve them better on a PS4P with my games, my gamesaves, my friend lists, than I am divorcing myself over onto Steam /a handheld PC OS. They'd be getting full retail price vs Steam, and full mtx spend cause it'd be a PS OS.

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023

That doesn't make sense. PS1 and PS2 should have ruined Sony as well then.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Not only do these gaming companies not have the manpower and resources to support multiple platforms but they don’t have the IP power. Nintendo can’t compete with home consoles with low power and the playstation fanbase just generally aren’t interested in playing downgraded versions of their big AAAA games and sports titles. Nintendo pretty much became a portable game maker.

The peopel that want dedicated handheld games are in a minority in the playstation install base. The project Q is the best compromise between all of them.

If i can stream or remote play spider-man 2 from my bed with ease I’d rather have that than another platform sony isn’t going to properly support.
Sony seems unable to support PSVR2, let alone another portable.

Sony is doing fine supporting the Steam Deck/PC, they are more committed to it than they are about supporting PSVR2.

They release more PC ports than PS5 games, lets not even mention that they bother with flopped PC ports that get pirated to death but can't bother patching PS4 games.

• fire
Reactions: ksdixon

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
That doesn't make sense. PS1 and PS2 should have ruined Sony as well then.
They will make home consoles no matter what. It is their well established business. Handheld consoles (extremely attractive for pirates) is secondary business, and Sony will not take chances again. PSP game sales numbers were a major disappointment. Vita proprietary cards prevented piracy but the price was the issue.

Ultimately Sony got tired and abandoned the idea of handhelds. Also mobile gaming has become big, so a potential new source of revenue for publishers.

I don't think Sony will make a portable console again. Time and money are precious and they want their AAA studios to concentrate on home console.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
With like 5 games that don’t run half as good as they do on ps5? Lol
If that is what you need to tell yourself... The Deck even runs games that the PS4 doesn't, same thing will end up happening again in the future. It's not like Valve or other manufactures will stop releasing and improving that format. For every botched PlayStation port there are plenty of games that run better on PC or that PS doesn't even run at all.

Right now we have games like RDR2 stuck at 30 fps and PS4 Pro settings on PS5 while very affordable GPUs are able to run it at locked 60 and beyond with higher settings and higher resolutions. There are so many details that Sony doesn't bother with like simply patching key PS4 games.

The PS5 hardware has pretty good value but if Sony thinks 3 games a year that later get porter to other platforms are enough they are about to find out the hard way that isn't. Momentum from the PS4 isn't going to last forever.

Once again MS incompetence helped Sony if it wasn't for how shitty Windows and DX12 are PC would have far less performance issues. At some point PC, with free online, Xbox+PC+PS libraries just becomes too attractive of a proposition.

PlayStation is starting to feel like the PS+ machine, very much like the Xbox of a few years ago, losing it's identity trying attract a different audience.

Last edited: