"Why Sony Made A Mistake Focusing On PS VR2 Instead of A New Next-Gen Handheld" - Gaming Bolt

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022

I just cannot wrap my head around this. What was this decision making? I mean, I know what it was, it was wrong is what it was, but to watch it play out in real time is flabbergasting. Sony has decided to split their resources, and they are going with the VR market over the portable one. I appreciate VR, and I really do hope the kinks that prevent it from catching on are worked out sooner than later, so that the format can hit its full potential, but at this point it is abundantly clear that for the broader market, VR holds less appeal.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
this is good thing. handhelds are nothing special from any technology standpoint. i like that they invested and pushing VR technology forward.
let Sony do differently from other brands. let them differentiate from others.

nintendo does handhelds good, just look at switch, it is their identity.

xbox does subs and cloud.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Id rather a Handheld but why not both.
Handheld would bring in more money atm, but VR will grow for awhile as technology gets better and better

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
🤣🤣 Thank God Sony you made that mistake! GT 7 VR looks better than anything out there! And I bought a copy as soon as I saw it.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Maybe they are doing both and are waiting to announce it sometime in the future.

Everything Sony does atm seems to turn to gold.

Agreed, Why not.

People say because Vita failed Sony should just let the handheld market be Nintendo and Steam.

But look how many times Nintendo and Xbox have sold really bad and tried again. N64, Gamecube, Wii U, OG Xbox etc
Sony has only failed to do more than 80m+ units once and that was Vita. Neither Xbox, Nintendo or Sega are close to being that successful with every device that have released.

PSP sold 80+m units, same as GBA and 3DS so it cant be that bad.
With the popularity of Playstation with PS4/PS5 Im sure they could sell a good amount which would drive software sales up worldwide and Japan.

I mean which handheld gamer wouldnt want to play FF16, Spiderman 2, Ronin, Dragon Quest and GTA6 on the go… Vita and PSP never had games like this, it would sell well.

Reactions: Sircaw

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Let Sony focus on VR and consoles. They are killing it. Remote Play fills that ps5 on the go void for me quite well. Steam Deck only sold 1 million so far and Switch has shit sewn up so it would be difficult. Plus Sony focusing on 3 diff systems, nahhhh thy good how they are now.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Let Sony focus on VR and consoles. They are killing it. Remote Play fills that ps5 on the go void for me quite well. Steam Deck only sold 1 million so far and Switch has shit sewn up so it would be difficult. Plus Sony focusing on 3 diff systems, nahhhh thy good how they are now.
I’m unable to wake the ps5 from sleep on remote play… does it work from you?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
What a dumb take. PSVR is an emerging new tech and Sony is pioneering them in consoles. They were happy with the PSVR1 performance so they are making PSVR2 with many lessons learnt and they are improving its tech, pricing, user experience, catalog, etc.

PS Vita did show them that there is only place for a single portable console, the Nintendo one, and that they didn't have enough specific 1st and 3rd party catalog to support it.

Steamdeck is a whole different story because Valve has a huge catalog from Steam, while Sony doesn't. And right now is not possible to have PS4 portable to make it 100% compatible with the home console library, or at least not with a decent pricing and battery.

I loved Sony's portables and I'd love to see more, but being realistic they took the best approach available right now.

Reactions: Hezekiah

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Of course it will! It sold Lil over 1 million so far lol PSVR 2 will sell more than it in its lifetime.

D

Deleted member 417

VR was the right direction to go in. Any VR game that comes to consoles is exclusive to one platform, without that platform having to pay for exclusivity, that's a clever business move.

If you're a VR developer and want to get into the console space, you talk to Sony and by doing so, create a two-way relationship. VR devs will want to bring their games to PSVR2 as a chance to be picked up by Sony or have the opportunity to work with them.

Sony get free access to the best, upcoming talent in the industry, without having to chase them down.

• Informative
Reactions: KickNamesTakeAss