"Why Sony Made A Mistake Focusing On PS VR2 Instead of A New Next-Gen Handheld" - Gaming Bolt

OP
OP
adamsapple

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Any personal take on the video?
I'm not watching 20min of probably what will be total BS.

I mostly agree with the video, but I haven't gotten a handheld since the PSP, which for me was more of a multimedia machine than a gaming portable.

Never thought about the need of VR in all the years I had a PS4 so I'm not interested in it anyway but I can see some people are.

However, I have a feeling that with the minimal marketing and exposure, Sony are kinda sending PSVR2 to die. I don't see it gaining mass media momentum outside of the initial volley of enthusiast buyers.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I mostly agree with the video, but I haven't gotten a handheld since the PSP, which for me was more of a multimedia machine than a gaming portable.

Never thought about the need of VR in all the years I had a PS4 so I'm not interested in it anyway but I can see some people are.

However, I have a feeling that with the minimal marketing and exposure, Sony are kinda sending PSVR2 to die. I don't see it gaining mass media momentum outside of the initial volley of enthusiast buyers.
PSRV on PS4 is just so great.
It is only way to play RE7 for example because after you experience it in PSVR you won't ever want to play again without it.

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
They can do both. PSVR2 is necessary, it's a great piece of kit, besides, it will help improve optimization on regular PS5 native titles because of the nature of foveated rendering.

I also do think that a handheld could be great, and Sony can definitely do PSVR and Vita 2 in simul, but perhaps they need to delay it a bit. Perhaps they could go against Switch 2 later on. Right now the Switch and Steam Deck are hot, let them shine for now. PSVR2 will help PS5 and that's where Sony should focus all it's energies. These two pieces of hardware are symbiotic in nature anyway...

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I've never been a fan of portables, I think they're gash. The OG gameboy and Gamegear were good tech. I love my Vita as an emulation machine. Outside of that, why would I want to game on anything other than a huge TV or monitor with a powerful console or PC rig hooked up to it?

The steamdeck has sold because it's a handheld for PCMR to jizz over. OMG!1!1!1 I CAN PLAY TEH GAMES ON TEH MOVE.!1!!1! when in reality, most PC gamers don't go leave their monitor, let alone go anywhere for long enough to need to play games. Joking aside, I can't see the demographic that wanks-off over spec wars to go buy a shitty handheld.

The steamdeck is selling purely on novelty and consumerist virtue signalling.

Totally right about the Steamdeck.

Theres lot of gamers who like portables. Nintendo just having a free ride with no competition what so ever. Im sure probably 50% of the Switch owners had never owned a Nintendo machine before. Lots of Teens and casual fans, who are now bigger fans of gaming.

Just like alot of new gamers bought a Switch because of Animal Crossing or Zelda. Im sure alot of gamers who want to go portable will buy a PSP3 to play GTA6 on the go, Spiderman 2 etc

Reactions: Deleted member 417

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Totally right about the Steamdeck.

Theres lot of gamers who like portables. Nintendo just having a free ride with no competition what so ever. Im sure probably 50% of the Switch owners had never owned a Nintendo machine before. Lots of Teens and casual fans, who are now bigger fans of gaming.

Just like alot of new gamers bought a Switch because of Animal Crossing or Zelda. Im sure alot of gamers who want to go portable will buy a PSP3 to play GTA6 on the go, Spiderman 2 etc
I think SteamDesk needs to prove itself first… right now it is niche.

That first against the market needs any portable… Switch is a case that was successful but seems like others are not having the say success including SteamDesk.

So something attract gamers to Switch and not to SteamDesk.

I can list some guesses like size is not ideal, lacks Nintendo games, etc.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Ehh, there's (according to wikipedia...) 122 million Switches out there versus 75 million 3DSes (and 13 million Wii Us, 101 million Wiis, 154 million DSes, as well as millions of their older systems.) There's surely lots of new-to-Nintendo owners out there but its way less than 50 percent.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Man I hate portables with everything I got.
I want my games to be developed with latest tech in mind.
You not getting ps5 graphics on a handheld without putting a ifty price tag on it.

I'm glad sony left abs never looked back.

Fucking killzone mercenary died on vita. When its much better than shadow fall. I rate that game the second best game after kz2.

Almost as if the team that knows killzone made that game

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Ehh, there's (according to wikipedia...) 122 million Switches out there versus 75 million 3DSes (and 13 million Wii Us, 101 million Wiis, 154 million DSes, as well as millions of their older systems.) There's surely lots of new-to-Nintendo owners out there but its way less than 50 percent.

I just calculated 3DS sales in my head and compared it to the Switch. So yeah not 50% but probably at least 30 are new fans%.

For me how big of a “old” fan are they if they ignored the Wii U? Not saying thats the real fanbase because there was the 3DS but where was the love? It was a good console. Wii U was day 1 like every Nintendo console/portable since NES for me.

I know my ex’s kids it was their first Nintendo machine as I bought it for them. There friends had PS4/PS3 but they got a Switch.
My 2 friends of 30 years, it was there first Nintendo machine. They were always Sega, Playstation, PC guys. His sister, it was her first video game device ever, she got it for Animal Crossing after trying his.

Animal Crossing and Splatoon, Pokemon brought in a hell alot of new fans.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I want my games to be developed with latest tech in mind.
You not getting ps5 graphics on a handheld without putting a ifty price tag on it.

I get the issue, and with those issues it wouldnt work. But what if it wasnt an issue?Just for entertainment and silly conversation purposes ;)

Returnal and TLOU1 Remake were developed with the latest tech in mind right? PS5 exclusives.
This year both will be on Steamdeck. Hopefully they can both hit 30fps, probably a stretch lol.
Most the Steam’s library are on Steamdeck and I doubt developers had to work on it much if at all to get the games to work on Steamdeck. Just like future games. So developers arent having to work extra on It.

Games can still be developed to the highest tech like they are with PS5 now, no worry of less tech getting int he way.

Its not too far from reality that something like an unlocked framerate mode could help. It won’t be much harder to do then what Insomniac did with Ratchet and Clank. 4k-30fps mode, 45fps, 60fps and 120fps VRR etc. Ray tracing etc all options. Some games have unlocked framerate modes.

Everyone worried about the PS4 Pro causing developer issues or BC on PS5 but it was done mostly without needing much from the developers. It just opened the door for 60fps or45fps on PS4 Pro games like God of War 2018, Horizon,GoT Instead of a 30fps (thank fuck lol)

Developers would just need to turn off Ray tracking. Have an Unlocked framerate mode. And a 30fps mode and have a resolution of 720-800p mode etc which is like 8x less than 4K?

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I just calculated 3DS sales in my head and compared it to the Switch. So yeah not 50% but probably at least 30 are new fans%.

For me how big of a “old” fan are they if they ignored the Wii U? Not saying thats the real fanbase because there was the 3DS but where was the love? It was a good console. Wii U was day 1 like every Nintendo console/portable since NES for me.

I know my ex’s kids it was their first Nintendo machine as I bought it for them. There friends had PS4/PS3 but they got a Switch.
My 2 friends of 30 years, it was there first Nintendo machine. They were always Sega, Playstation, PC guys. His sister, it was her first video game device ever, she got it for Animal Crossing after trying his.

Animal Crossing and Splatoon, Pokemon brought in a hell alot of new fans.
It came off the disappointing back half of the Wii's life, had no killer app at launch and suffered from terrible release droughts. By the time Nintendo got games flowing to it, it was too late.

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Fucking killzone mercenary died on vita. When its much better than shadow fall. I rate that game the second best game after kz2.
Well I agree with that statement. Come to think of it, Sony handhelds had some really impressive games, PSP and Vita. Also some of those indie games felt a bit more at place on Vita like Lumines, the pixel junk games etc......

I'm also a leading edge guy, but different platforms have different capabilities and also can cater to different demographics. I can attest that both PSP and Vita was cutting edge for their times and so is the upcoming VR2, so at least on tech, I think they were leading.

What interests me for a handheld is with all the strides AMD has made on the APU front and that low power footprint. Imagine a Vita 2 with a custom SSD just like the PS5 coupled with these new APU's....No custom propietary UMD or discs, just digital only, no need to waste the battery power on such, loadtimes would be just as instant perhaps even more isntant than PS5. This would check all the boxes for what a handheld should be in the modern age....Sadly I don't think Nintendo can help with bleeding edge tech in any department again, but Sony can. Also, Image reconstruction can go a long way in getting pristine IQ on a 1440p native handheld screen...

Reactions: SLB1904

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Well I agree with that statement. Come to think of it, Sony handhelds had some really impressive games, PSP and Vita. Also some of those indie games felt a bit more at place on Vita like Lumines, the pixel junk games etc......

I'm also a leading edge guy, but different platforms have different capabilities and also can cater to different demographics. I can attest that both PSP and Vita was cutting edge for their times and so is the upcoming VR2, so at least on tech, I think they were leading.

What interests me for a handheld is with all the strides AMD has made on the APU front and that low power footprint. Imagine a Vita 2 with a custom SSD just like the PS5 coupled with these new APU's....No custom propietary UMD or discs, just digital only, no need to waste the battery power on such, loadtimes would be just as instant perhaps even more isntant than PS5. This would check all the boxes for what a handheld should be in the modern age....Sadly I don't think Nintendo can help with bleeding edge tech in any department again, but Sony can. Also, Image reconstruction can go a long way in getting pristine IQ on a 1440p native handheld screen...
I took my vita everywhere and loved Mercenary, that game was good. Also had tons of fun with Unit 13 and Soul Sacrifice. Shit even COD and Resistance were OK for me.

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
I took my vita everywhere and loved Mercenary, that game was good. Also had tons of fun with Unit 13 and Soul Sacrifice. Shit even COD and Resistance were OK for me.
GT on PSP was great too, so was Arctic Edge.......Golden Abyss, Tearaway, Gravity Rush, Wipeout were all great on Vita.......I think Sony has a case to make for a handheld and there are enough smaller studios that could seize the opportunity. In essence, you don't need to take away devs from "Savage Starlight" at ND to work on games for a Vita 2...AA studios must stand up and be counted....

• party
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
GT on PSP was great too, so was Arctic Edge.......Golden Abyss, Tearaway, Gravity Rush, Wipeout were all great on Vita.......I think Sony has a case to make for a handheld and there are enough smaller studios that could seize the opportunity. In essence, you don't need to take away devs from "Savage Starlight" at ND to work on games for a Vita 2...AA studios must stand up and be counted....
During this time is when thy had started having multiple teams on studios. That organic growth allowed them to use some smaller teams for vita games. Damn htf I forget Tearaway, Uncharted Abyss, Little Big Planet, All Stars, etc. I had all those games on Vita and enjoyed the shit out of them. It was console gaming on a handheld and it was great.

On a drinking night I eventually stepped on my vita and broke it 😔 but it was my fav handheld ever. It was so cool getting it and seeing who was playing near you and I loved the bubbles for the folders. The screen oled was great and it just felt so premium.

• fire
Reactions: thelastword

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
My take on this, people need to realize that Sony is more than PlayStation. The tech will be used on other segments. Also between Meta who lost a lot of money, MS who scraped their mix VR projects and Apple who according to rumors is having tons of problems with VR.. Sony seems the only one actively developing VR successfully.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KickNamesTakeAss

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
VR was the right direction to go in. Any VR game that comes to consoles is exclusive to one platform, without that platform having to pay for exclusivity, that's a clever business move.

If you're a VR developer and want to get into the console space, you talk to Sony and by doing so, create a two-way relationship. VR devs will want to bring their games to PSVR2 as a chance to be picked up by Sony or have the opportunity to work with them.

Sony get free access to the best, upcoming talent in the industry, without having to chase them down.
Meta would have a successful product if they would just stop throwing money down a pit attempting to monopolize the "metaverse"

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
V,
Meta would have a successful product if they would just stop throwing money down a pit attempting to monopolize the "metaverse"
Thats the only reason they brought Oculus. Take away the "metaverse" bullshit and they either shut down or sell the division within two years. Somehow they think companies are actually going to do professional work on Facebook as if it was enterprise software instead of barely disguised spyware with zero customer feedback or consumer relations functions.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Between Steam Deck and Switch, there's clearly no space for a new handheld on the market.
Steam Deck is massive, Nintendo Switch is underpowered. People like Vita shape/size, it always just needed extra shoulder buttons for 1:1 button input for remote play/streaming/natively playing real console games. Sony are idiots who got lost for 10 years. More succinctly, how bad was that PS4/PS5 handover drama fallout.