Why the PS5 Pro is absolutely necessary

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
but not all devs can optimize because time/finance is issue. especially smaller one.

and i could argue, they need drop SS support, that's simple, if xbox is demanding SS port or non. then there should be non.
sure. Devs can't always optimize to the metal but the fact is that these consoles being just closer to pc, makes devs lazy.
Like Remedy... they just slapped LOW on pc version of Alan wake 2 and released it on pc... on lowest low settings, no substitute for lack of rt and barely hitting 30fps with terrible pixel breakup in motion.... and everyone loved it. People said how amazing the shit game looks. I couldn't believe it when I played it how bad image quality was.

Meanwhile Demons souls is 1440p, 60fps and looks like a postcard.... and ton of other games

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Sony is milking what is left of this gen and moving on. It’s really not that deep.

Hybrid is the future. Microsoft is developing their version and I’d bet Sony is too.

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I was referring to the lack of PS5 only software from Sony 🧐

Why is "lack of PS5 only software" a problem? Do you not have cross-gen games with excellent PS5 enhancements, some of them with raytracing and "zero" loading times which is what the console promised? Why are those somehow invalid?

I'd be angry if all crossgen PS4-PS5 games were just a resolution and framerate bump, but that's definitely not been the case. Have you tried seeing how these latest crossgen games look on the original PS4 in comparison to their PS5 versions, like Resident Evil 4 Remake or Jedi Survivor?

They look pretty good for something running on a 10 year-old system, but put them on a large 4K display and they look like ass.

Reactions: panda-zebra

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Why is "lack of PS5 only software" a problem? Do you not have cross-gen games with excellent PS5 enhancements, some of them with raytracing and "zero" loading times which is what the console promised? Why are those somehow invalid?

I'd be angry if all crossgen PS4-PS5 games were just a resolution and framerate bump, but that's definitely not been the case. Have you tried seeing how these latest crossgen games look on the original PS4 in comparison to their PS5 versions, like Resident Evil 4 Remake or Jedi Survivor?

They look pretty good for something running on a 10 year-old system, but put them on a large 4K display and they look like ass.
What's the point of your comment exactly? It still has no correlation to anything I've said in here 🧐

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sony is milking what is left of this gen and moving on. It’s really not that deep.
No, PS5 will be supported more than a decade like their previous generations, specially when this one is outperforming the previous ones in most fronts.

Hybrid is the future. Microsoft is developing their version and I’d bet Sony is too.
"Hybrid" isn't the future, it's the present of the portable consoles. Sony already experimented with it with PSP and Vita.

And portables is different market of the home consoles, PC and mobile. Make sure Sony will be in the future in all of them. And well, it's nonsensical to think they'll replace high end gaming on console and PC.

In case of portables, very likely with a next gen PS Player successor that will also feature PS cloud gaming and would play natively the games from the potentially upcoming PC and mobile PSN stores, or minimum the Sony games released on such platforms.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

I don't see any evidence that Sony is packing it in.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
My point is you're objectively wrong.
Just in case that wasn't obvious through Sony's software sales numbers.
You don't even make sense but has the nerve to imply I'm objectively wrong lol. Again what does software sales have to do with anything? What does me saying Sony has a done a poor job at pushing their own hardware that gen has to with any of the garbage you have said in here? Before you try to argue learn to grasp context.

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Again what does software sales have to do with anything? What does me saying Sony has a done a poor job at pushing their own hardware that gen has to with any of the garbage you have said in here?

You're whining and saying "Sony is doing a piss-poor job with the PS5 this generation". Their software sales prove you're wrong.
Sony isn't doing what you somehow idealized Sony should do, but your needs and wants isolated are irrelevant for Sony's financial performance and duties to its shareholders.
Just so you know, crying harder won't help.

And even if we do accept the goalpost change to "poor job at pushing their own hardware", it's still born out of ignorance.

All 7 consoles from the 8th and 9th generations have used AMD x86-64 CPUs and AMD GFX7-GFX10 GPUs. GFX10 is 100% compliant with GFX7, so it's a superset of the former.
On Sony's side, the main purpose for this is for time-to-triangle to be progressively shorter and tackle the ballooning cost and time to make games. Mark Cerny puts a lot of emphasis on this subject in his presentations.

20200329001216.jpg
20200329001524.jpg

For 2 generations straight, there's been no crazy architectures for consoles anymore. There's no 16 pixel pipelines for texture effects like no other console can do but 10 guys must code for 3 months for it to work like the PS2. There's no 7 core vector processing unit that can assist its lackluster GPU in running pixel and vertex shaders like the PS3.

There were consoles with an 8-core Jaguar CPU that performed just a bit above an 8-core Jaguar did on a windows PC, GPUs that performed just a bit above GCN discrete PC GPUs. Now there are consoles that perform similar to a 8-core Zen2 and a RX6700 / XT. Lack of Windows overhead and some low-level optimizations help, but not in a very substantial way and the tendency with everyone having 8+ core CPUs is for this overhead to become irrelevant.

So whatever you're waiting for, some secret sauce that makes all games look and run like they could be running on a RTX5090, isn't coming.
That's why the PS4 had some of its best looking games releasing in its launch window like Killzone Shadowfall, and on the PS5 it won't get that much better than e.g. Demon's Souls Remake.

Sony didn't do a poor job at pushing its hardware this gen. They did the best job at pushing its hardware this gen and the one before, by providing devs with access to eloquent enough SDK + documentation that let them push the hardware right on the first year. Same for Microsoft.

Wing84

7 Feb 2024
Do we know if the PS5 Pro will come with WiFi 7?I really want to see if WiFi 7 lives up to the hype. Will drop packets and interference be super rare with all the features of WiFi 6, WiFi 6E and WiFi 7 working together in unison.

Would be super nice not to always have my future PS6 next to the modem because I only ever use Ethernet.

Still, I'm not getting a Pro. I'm fine playing a game at 4K-30FPS or sub-4K-60FPS when using a controller.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
You're whining and saying "Sony is doing a piss-poor job with the PS5 this generation". Their software sales prove you're wrong.
Sony isn't doing what you somehow idealized Sony should do, but your needs and wants isolated are irrelevant for Sony's financial performance and duties to its shareholders.
Just so you know, crying harder won't help.

And even if we do accept the goalpost change to "poor job at pushing their own hardware", it's still born out of ignorance.

All 7 consoles from the 8th and 9th generations have used AMD x86-64 CPUs and AMD GFX7-GFX10 GPUs. GFX10 is 100% compliant with GFX7, so it's a superset of the former.
On Sony's side, the main purpose for this is for time-to-triangle to be progressively shorter and tackle the ballooning cost and time to make games. Mark Cerny puts a lot of emphasis on this subject in his presentations.

20200329001216.jpg
20200329001524.jpg

For 2 generations straight, there's been no crazy architectures for consoles anymore. There's no 16 pixel pipelines for texture effects like no other console can do but 10 guys must code for 3 months for it to work like the PS2. There's no 7 core vector processing unit that can assist its lackluster GPU in running pixel and vertex shaders like the PS3.

There were consoles with an 8-core Jaguar CPU that performed just a bit above an 8-core Jaguar did on a windows PC, GPUs that performed just a bit above GCN discrete PC GPUs. Now there are consoles that perform similar to a 8-core Zen2 and a RX6700 / XT. Lack of Windows overhead and some low-level optimizations help, but not in a very substantial way and the tendency with everyone having 8+ core CPUs is for this overhead to become irrelevant.

So whatever you're waiting for, some secret sauce that makes all games look and run like they could be running on a RTX5090, isn't coming.
That's why the PS4 had some of its best looking games releasing in its launch window like Killzone Shadowfall, and on the PS5 it won't get that much better than e.g. Demon's Souls Remake.

Sony didn't do a poor job at pushing its hardware this gen. They did the best job at pushing its hardware this gen and the one before, by providing devs with access to eloquent enough SDK + documentation that let them push the hardware right on the first year. Same for Microsoft.
Won't even read this laundry list of nonsense based off your first sentence. Perhaps you should order a basic package of Hooked on Phonics before trying to argue on the internet. I said they haven't don't a good job at Flexing their own hardware this generation. If you cannot decipher what such a simple sentence means then You're hopeless.

• haha
Reactions: anonpuffs

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Do we know if the PS5 Pro will come with WiFi 7?I really want to see if WiFi 7 lives up to the hype. Will drop packets and interference be super rare with all the features of WiFi 6, WiFi 6E and WiFi 7 working together in unison.

Would be super nice not to always have my future PS6 next to the modem because I only ever use Ethernet.

I don't think there's ever been a console releasing with support for a WiFi protocol that hasn't been ratified yet.

Though it's probably coming with WiFi 6E, in case the 6GHz band makes any difference to you.

Wing84

7 Feb 2024
I don't think there's ever been a console releasing with support for a WiFi protocol that hasn't been ratified yet.

Though it's probably coming with WiFi 6E, in case the 6GHz band makes any difference to you.
WiFi 7 been a completed and certified standard for a little while now. We're even getting laptops with WiFi 7 built-in.

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
WiFi 7 been a completed and certified standard for a little while now. We're even getting laptops with WiFi 7 built-in.
From what I've read, the standard isn't complete until late 2024 and current WiFi 7 devices are working on a candidate software/firmware release, but the technical requirements are finalized which is why the WiFi Alliance is already passing WiFi 7 certifications.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
no one will put wf7 into PS5 PRO. they want cost reduction as much as possible. wifi 6 still, fully enough.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I changed my mind, PS5 Pro will be the best place to watch Paramount+. Absolutely necessary. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited: