Why the PS5 Pro is absolutely necessary

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
So what's the point of buying the hardware before the pro comes out then? If you're gonna buy a PS5 and then by the time the software drops you're told your hardware isn't sufficient 💀🤔

Sony has a done a piss poor job with the console this generation. They haven't produced a single game that has pushed their hardware that justifies a Pro.
This is an enthusiast forum. We all have PS5s so who are you talking about?

Pro consoles are for hardcore gamers, not casuals who will pick up a system 4 years in

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Pro consoles are for hardcore gamers, not casuals who will pick up a system 4 years in
I still don't think people understand the point of this thread.

The PS5 Pro isn't necessary because consumers. It's necessary because of developers. It's necessary to start pushing developers towards making games that will use what's going to be in the PS6.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
just play on pc for more power. no need to buy a console for power, if you're power hungry.
and yet nvidia still has to pay developers to put in more than barebones RT in their games. Face it fam, playing on PC isn't pushing the medium forward.

• haha
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023

And what does the people of who post here have to do with my personal opinion on the Pro? Did you even understand my comment or you just wanted to disagree for the sake of it?

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023

The PS5 Pro isn't necessary because consumers. It's necessary because of developers. It's necessary to start pushing developers towards making games that will use what's going to be in the PS6.
We love a forum Nostradamus.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think it isn't needed, but if released some players will be interested on it. For devs it's going to be another SKU that won't add a lot of sales and instead will increase even more the budget of the games / costs of making a game.

AfnanAcchan

3 Mar 2023
If Sony decide to release PS6 in 2027/2028 then I dont think it is necessary but I with PS5 pro I hope PS6 didnt came out until 2030. Game is taking too long and too expensive to make.

Reactions: toadsage44

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
a portable would have failed.
Without game support like happened with Vita... yes.

I wonder if Vita should really have failed if all games that were cancelled got released and the 1st/3rd-party outputs were great.
Sadly the release schedule was dry and that kills any platform.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

That is for PS6.

What devs used in PS4 Pro that didn't work on PS4?
That is the points... devs will use what has available to the base machine.
At best they will add PSSR for PS5 Pro mode like they did with CBR with PS4 Pro mode.
And PSSR used in PS5 Pro won't be even an option to be used in PS6.

They will not push something that wont work on PS5.
Plus PS5 Pro has noting at all that will be used on PS6... PS6 is like 3-4 years away and until there several new gens of GPUs with new tech and APIs will be released to be used on PS6.

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I don't think the PS5 Pro is necessary, but there's definitely an audience for it. I'm its audience day one.
It's like >500€ GPUs and >500€ CPUs. No one in a consumer setting needs expensive GPUs, but they still have an audience.

The funny part here is how so much easier it should be for developers to make PS5 + PS5 Pro versions, compared to Series S + Series X versions.
On the PS5 Pro, devs of games already using temporal upscaling just need to implement PSSR and the framerate goes up. Enable more raytracing features and the framerate holds better. Otherwise both consoles have very similar amount of available memory and the base GPU capabilities are not that far off.

For the Series X+S devs need to target two consoles where one has much less memory and a GPU that's 3x weaker GPU.
With the xbox console and software sales collapsing worldwide, all that extra work is making devs think twice before launching their game at all, on their platform.
Microsoft really pushed themselves into a corner, here.

How can you be so off the mark.

$599
Can we do a poll and/or bets?
I'm optimistic about the PS5 Pro being $550 or less.

Reactions: Sircaw

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I don't think the PS5 Pro is necessary, but there's definitely an audience for it. I'm its audience day one.
It's like >500€ GPUs and >500€ CPUs. No one in a consumer setting needs expensive GPUs, but they still have an audience.

The funny part here is how so much easier it should be for developers to make PS5 + PS5 Pro versions, compared to Series S + Series X versions.
On the PS5 Pro, devs of games already using temporal upscaling just need to implement PSSR and the framerate goes up. Enable more raytracing features and the framerate holds better. Otherwise both consoles have very similar amount of available memory and the base GPU capabilities are not that far off.

For the Series X+S devs need to target two consoles where one has much less memory and a GPU that's 3x weaker GPU.
With the xbox console and software sales collapsing worldwide, all that extra work is making devs think twice before launching their game at all, on their platform.
Microsoft really pushed themselves into a corner, here.

Can we do a poll and/or bets?
I'm optimistic about the PS5 Pro being $550 or less.
Perhaps @anonpuffs can add a poll or perhaps a new thread with it as an option.

The closest person to the price gets one paid for by @Bryank75; we could make the 10 closest guesses. as winners, I am sure he won't mind.

Evil Smile GIF

• Heart
Reactions: ToTTenTranz

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
It's still absolutely pointless.
Devs should learn to optimize and code better. that's all there is to it.
If tlou2 is possible on ps4, ps5 should blow out mind and all they can do is tlou2 at 4k40fps.
PRO will just bring more confusion and market sepraration.

And your argument about devs is the opposite - devs are not happy to have yet another SKU to develop for. Series S already hurts them

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
So what's the point of buying the hardware before the pro comes out then?

With new-gen consoles offering backwards compatibility modes with performance boosts on the previous gen games, this becomes a cyclical argument.

Why buy a PS4 if the PS4 Pro plays the games better? Why buy the PS4 Pro if the PS5 plays the PS4 and the PS4 Pro games better? Why buy a PS5 if the PS5 Pro plays the PS4 and PS4 Pro and PS5 games better? Why not just wait for the PS8 Pro somewhere in 2048?

Why not just wait until a PC in 2060 can emulate all of that with much better quality?

In the end, the choice is to buy the hardware that lets you play the games you want to play, at the quality that your wallet permits or you're willing to pay for.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
It's still absolutely pointless.
Devs should learn to optimize and code better. that's all there is to it.
If tlou2 is possible on ps4, ps5 should blow out mind and all they can do is tlou2 at 4k40fps.
PRO will just bring more confusion and market sepraration.

And your argument about devs is the opposite - devs are not happy to have yet another SKU to develop for. Series S already hurts them
but not all devs can optimize because time/finance is issue. especially smaller one.

and i could argue, they need drop SS support, that's simple, if xbox is demanding SS port or non. then there should be non.

Reactions: rofif

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
and i could argue, they need drop SS support, that's simple, if xbox is demanding SS port or non. then there should be non.
Pretty sure they can't do this. Class action lawsuits would probably follow.
Not to mention they'd blow up whatever's left of their brand recognition.

But if I'm wrong then yes, I too think they should drop the Series S. It's probably dead weight at this point.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
With new-gen consoles offering backwards compatibility modes with performance boosts on the previous gen games, this becomes a cyclical argument.

Why buy a PS4 if the PS4 Pro plays the games better? Why buy the PS4 Pro if the PS5 plays the PS4 and the PS4 Pro games better? Why buy a PS5 if the PS5 Pro plays the PS4 and PS4 Pro and PS5 games better? Why not just wait for the PS8 Pro somewhere in 2048?

Why not just wait until a PC in 2060 can emulate all of that with much better quality?

In the end, the choice is to buy the hardware that lets you play the games you want to play, at the quality that your wallet permits or you're willing to pay for.
I was referring to the lack of PS5 only software from Sony 🧐