Will forumites stop lying to themselves about $70 day one?

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I constantly see people in forums saying they don’t buy $70 games day one and wait for deep sale. Let’s be honest here, these people are LYING. Just look at the sales of $70 games, TOTK, GOW Ragnarok and others to see they’re lying.
I don’t know why these people keep lying on forums, because we know and they know they’re spending $70 on games day one.
What gives?
Just be honest, people, y’all are buying games full price and don’t care.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
I buy "most" of my games at launch or a week or so later and pre-order some that i know i want ready and downloaded for launch date.
Hell, if i am pre-ordering a game there is a even higher chance of me paying more then 70 as at these times i tend to sway towards deluxe versions.
The last game i paid for was Diablo 4 Ultimate Edition and that was 99.99 i believe (I did use PS Stars rewards points to get £20 off)

That being said if you had a look at the the amount of games i own digitally the higher % will be games i got on sale, as i tend to buy multiple games when they are on sale.

The only reason they wait for sales is because they don't need or want to play them at launch, Because if they did they would buy them on release date and not wait.
(Also yes there are some people that have to be more careful with there money and spending and that is understandable)

Reactions: Lord Mittens

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Uhhh of course I buy games at full price when I want them at launch. What a silly premise for a thread. No problem spending 70. I go for the deluxe editions often times too.

• Shake
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Touché, you are right. Because I buy physical, I often get them at launch for 10 (sometimes more) bucks less. Or I pay more than that because of a steelbook edition or something like that.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Before TotK my last launch purchase was either Smash Bros. or SwSh, 4 or 5 years ago (a pair of disappointments!). Not everybody needs day one, especially if you play single player games primarily.

D

Deleted member 417

I don't buy games day one, with the exception of Larian Games.

I have been burned with broken, content-lite games too many times. I used to buy new games religiously in the 360 era, then GoW 3 happened and that was it. I wait for a deep discount and GOTY edition with patches to fix the broken mess that games launch in.

With the current state of the industry, there's no reason for me to buy games day one, as there are enough sub services, ftp games and backlogs that I don't need to buy games day one. Add that that I have less time to spend on gaming and it makes no sense to keep up with the Jones'.

Each to their own, but I think people who buy games day one and don't play them fully to 100% completion are fools and fooling themselves into some moral justification of why they are spending £70 on a game they'll barely play

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Well I’m more conservative now with my purchases here in the UK ever since the price hike.

The only games I have purchased Day 1 lately are GOWR, Elden Ring, RE4R and TOTK.

FF16 will also be Day 1.

69.99 is worth it for some games.

Gone are the days when I would simply buy everything Day 1 and leave it to collect dust in my backlog to play months later.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
People on these forums are hardcore gamers. They're a minority. Even if every single one of them, across all gaming forums, stopped paying for these $70 games, it wouldn't affect the industry much. The majority of sales come from casual gamers. That goes for consoles as well as games.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Well I’m more conservative now with my purchases here in the UK ever since the price hike.

The only games I have purchased Day 1 lately are GOWR, Elden Ring, RE4R and TOTK.

FF16 will also be Day 1.

69.99 is worth it for some games.

Gone are the days when I would simply buy everything Day 1 and leave it to collect dust in my backlog to play months later.

I'm kinda like this, of course I will buy what I know I want. That's not an issue and never would be.

It's games that I am not 100% about, for example a game might get great reviews but it doesn't look like my type of game, yet I am curious... but I'm not gonna drop 80 euro just because I am curious.... I will wait till it hits a sale.

Or if something does look like a game I am really interested in but the reviews come in low.... that's probably a sale now too.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Well, it's true that most game sold are discounted. But not only the $70/80€ ones, it has been forever like that since digital games started to become really popular and big discounts started to become common because it's easier to discount a digital game than a retail game because there are less costs involved.

But it's also true that there are millions of passionate players (like the ones in forums) who but the games day one. In my case, when possible I get a nice steelbook edition. Now in recent years I don't do it anymore and buy less games due to having way less to play and a giant backlog with hundreds of games not played, but even bought several collector editions for some key games.

In the case of Street Fighter 6 I'll get the most expensive edition that isn't the big collector edition: the Ultimate one, that includes the biggest season pass. In other cases for games that I'm not that interested I get them very discounted, and even get PSN credit in cd key stores to get an extra discount.

Also, outside Nintendo nowadays games get discounted pretty soon. So $70/80€ pricing isn't really an issue. Specially considering that adjusting inflation games of the older generations were more expensive, in some cases up to what would be current $120, and back then there weren't quick discounts or digital versions to get them cheaper.

Last edited:

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
In the uk atleast i've not had to buy many £70 games on release, mainly because i mostly by physical copies. In the uk typically you can find a big release for around £55 for a physical copy. Makes it a bit easier to swallow.

Also i would highly recommend anyone in the uk who does buy digitally to buy psn credit from sellers like shopto, they give a decent discount on psn credit. Also sign upto ps stars, as the more you buy digitally the more reward points you get which you can exchange for more psn credit, overall getting a pretty decent dicount.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yeah I buy them. I normally buy PSN £’s from something like cedkeys and then buy the game launch day. Only game Ive regretted buying Launch was Disco Elysium and Pillars of Eternity.

I dont mind Etc if it helps the industry. But Id rather still have some smaller cheaper games from 1st party PS and Nitendo if they are gonna release 70bucks games.

And Personally I think Nintendo should of waited till next gen to make there games 70. Im happy to pay but not for Switch/ Wii U tech games that are coming from last gen engines and ports and doesnt cost much to make compared to other 70dollar games.

I bought Pikmin 3 cheaper on launch for the Wii U but Nintendo charged £55 for it on the Switch. A port which was cheaper originally and they’ve made there money back from there Wii U games on the Wii U. Mario Kart, Pikmin, Zelda

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I buy an average of 3-4 games a year. Probably a total of 8 games this year which is a special case because of too many interesting releases.
$70 isn't an issue.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
OoT was still more expensive that totk..

Donkey Kong Country on the SNES was 60 pounds.

Remember paying 50 pounds for games like Resident Evil 2 on the PS1 etc.

70 pounds is worth it provided the game is great.

Not paying 70 pounds for a COD or FIFA.

OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Donkey Kong Country on the SNES was 60 pounds.

Remember paying 50 pounds for games like Resident Evil 2 on the PS1 etc.

70 pounds is worth it provided the game is great.

Not paying 70 pounds for a COD or FIFA.
Yeah, don’t need to buy every game day one as I obviously don’t do it. But some people are adamant they don’t do it at all and I know they’re lying.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Yeah, don’t need to buy every game day one as I obviously don’t do it. But some people are adamant they don’t do it at all and I know they’re lying.

Completely agree.

Theres simply some games which you can’t miss. I’m willing whatever price to play them.

Resident Evil, MGS, Silent Hill, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Naughty Dog and SSM games are/were always Day 1 for me.

The rest are dependent on reviews.

Also the fact that we have social media sites like Twitter where spoilers are everywhere.

Don’t want that to spoil my experience so best to get Day 1 and finish these games.

Reactions: Swift_Star