Will Halo Infinite survive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Of course, they just need to inject the right content into it and it'll be fine. Counter-Strike Global Offensive was a dead game with barely over 20,000 concurrent players for its first 18 months, after the Arms Deal update it became one of the biggest FPS games ever.

CS GO also came out way back in 2012. Back then, the market for live-service GaaS shooters was practically non-existent. It was also WAY less crowded and competitive.

Today's market is vastly different; Overwatch 2 (soon), VALORANT, Apex Legends, COD Warzone, Fortnite, CS GO, Destiny 2, etc. are all either very active and thriving live-service shooters, or will be in the case of Overwatch 2 when it launches, not slowing down or stopping their own growth momentum which means they'll just keep increasing the gap between them and Halo Infinite. HI has to do something so innovative and plentiful with new content that it actually blows those games out of the water in order to gain back some serious numbers in terms of playerbase and revenue.

Realistically speaking, that will never happen. 343i simply don't have the chops for it, whether that's down to upper management or creative staff doesn't necessarily matter anymore. Just adding in campaign co-op and Forge won't be enough in light of what the competition is doing. Even a Battle Royale in itself won't be enough, regardless what spin on the formula they have. HI would actually need to innovate big-time with something new that the other games have to quickly try adding themselves, and 343i doesn't have the vision or drive to be leaders in that respect.

So I guess to answer the OP of the thread: I think Halo Infinite will "survive" as in just have a small but dedicated hardcore community; the average community size (in terms of concurrent players) on Steam seems to be stablizing around 4,500 - 5,000 players. It's probably around 60,000 - 70,000 on Xbox, and probably won't drop too much lower. New seasons with stuff like campaign co-op and Forge will give it some bumps, along with new maps, but those new numbers won't sustain and they'll quickly drop off again. Anything that might give some decent bump in overall numbers will be the Battle Royale mode, but that depends on how good it actually is and, again, what new map/guns/skins content come along with it.

To say Halo Infinite's been a failure in reinvigorating the IP is an understatement.

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
The Battle Royale can do it. But watching that landscape now… they also require massive meta and landscape shifts season to season.

To which I can’t help but argue that’s an entirely different game built by Creative Assembly.

The issue of development bandwidth would still be an issue just mentioned by the poster above. Creative Assembly doesn’t really alleviate that issue from 343 as they’re working on their own separate thing. And who will sustain that content pipeline? Creative Assembly has their hands in a few pots right now and they’re not some giant dev.

There’s things you can do with Halo to try. I suggest taking MCC multiplatform with pvp being f2p and have the games purchasable a la carte in addition to making the BR multi platform.

All depends how much money Microsoft wants to hemorrhage on the Infinite project. It looks like … plenty

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
MS is probably planning to add things to Infinite over the years to try to get the game popular again.

Live service games have been able to stick it out long term and been big successes even w/ mediocre launches.

Their biggest problem is 343i not knowing WTF they are doing. MS needs to hire someone else to pick the project up and generally clean house.

W/ the marketing muscle of MS and the Halo name they can bring it back to life.

My guess? They'll eventually get a core game popular enough to keep it going indefinitely. But it's not a solid "they will absolutely do it" guess.. I just think MS has too much to lose form letting Halo Infinite die to not give it a shot for a few years.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Why do people keep blaming 343i for everything? Doesn't the PS Studios example prove that games can be of high quality regardless of studio, which indicates that solid leadership and guidance is actually more important?

Halo Infinite was a mess, Forza Horizon 5 was just Forza Horizon re-re-re-remastered, Gears of War is in shambles...

Xbox studios are a mess because someone gave Phil a very expensive guitar with all the bells and whistles and he can't even play the first 5 notes of nothing else matters.

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
You’re preaching to the choir here with that.

I have zero confidence in Phil Spencer. Gamepass is nothing more than a handout. It all trickles down from there to 343s sham managers.

Nor does Microsoft have a genuine industry success story at the moment that they didn’t buy from someone else (Minecraft).

Outside of Forza Xbox games is still basura.

Reactions: nominedomine
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
eMvTJt.jpg

Streams about to cross for the 30 day avg. 18 on XBL.

“FLAGSHIP IP”

Take MCC multiplatform. Take pvp side of all games and make it f2p. Work on Infinite while MCC actually makes money.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
There is some buzz about Halo today.
They really want to sell you that Battle Pass Season 2 lol

If you have Data Cap the best you can do is avoid Halo Infinite until they fix that issue.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Bonus. Halo Infinite drops to 20 on XBL most played. With 3 months to go before another season…

“FLAGSHIP IP” on their own platform. What the fuck is “power wash simulator” …

The cover band that couldn’t. O for 3.

kaosmx.jpg

ka2tsa.jpg

Bungie:
r05meaybyaz61.jpg

Vs

arts-starkey-mini_kiss_7-30-1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
The streams have crossed on steam. Paid MCC has surpassed Infinite.

Infinite peaks higher but MCC doesn’t bottom out as low during other hours.

vZpXhG.jpg

• haha

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
There is no going back from floping this hard while being F2P.
This. Where do they even go next from here?

Make it F2P again? With a GP sub model, there is very little incentive to sub to GP for Halo Infinite (a 10-hour campaign).

Make the full game paid again? It'll hit even fewer numbers after the poor reception of Halo Infinite.

Drop their flagship IP altogether? That'll be even worse to drop the IP that defined Xbox and put it on the map.

Their best bet would be to change the developers and make someone like Infinity Ward and Id co-develop it and kind of reboot it like Sony revamped God of War in 2018.

• they're_right_you_know

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
This. Where do they even go next from here?

Make it F2P again? With a GP sub model, there is very little incentive to sub to GP for Halo Infinite (a 10-hour campaign).

Make the full game paid again? It'll hit even fewer numbers after the poor reception of Halo Infinite.

Drop their flagship IP altogether? That'll be even worse to drop the IP that defined Xbox and put it on the map.

Their best bet would be to change the developers and make someone like Infinity Ward and Id co-develop it and kind of reboot it like Sony revamped God of War
Taking Infinity Ward away from CoD to try to salvage Halo makes no sense, the truth is Halo just isn't as important to MS as it once was, it's dead for now.

Reactions: Hezekiah
D

Deleted member 223

hailo.jpg

I think there are a lot of adults in their 30s who are agonizing seeing this franchise slip into irrelevance ever since Bungie left. The good times ain't coming back. MS continues to pump infinite money literally for almost no return. The original developer pumped out 5 games within a 10 year span and burned out. The shooter genre rests on the new kids, the teenagers and young adults who have their own "Halo" with Fortnite, Apex, and Destiny etc etc. The Xbox platform is not, say, Nintendo's consoles which are starved of third party support (heavy hitter franchises) so Mario gets staying power by default regardless of how many Mario games get pumped out. The quality isn't there either relative to say, a Naughty Dog/SSM game. It's over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Hezekiah
D

Deleted member 140

The game will die inside of the next 5 years, I think. It didn't look like the game had a lot of momentum and I don't think MS will be able to keep it popular over time!

Status
Not open for further replies.