Will the Playstation Portal outsell the Steamdeck?

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
And if it does will it be considered a success?

Or will people continue to slate Sony for releasing it and not a native handheld which isn’t even feasible.

Crazy to think the Steamdeck is at around the 3 million mark according to forecasts yet considered by many to be successful story.

I reckon it will.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
it depends directly on the success of the PS5. I think if the PS5 can sell 100 million units then the portal can do 5 million at least

Reactions: Muddasar
OP
OP
Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
it depends directly on the success of the PS5. I think if the PS5 can sell 100 million units then the portal can do 5 million at least

So basically outselling the Steamdeck and PSVR2.

Will be interesting to see the worldwide sales numbers.

Won’t be surprised if it has sold 500k+ already

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
6c8819fefa40c5fa93d3a9a3598e168c.gif

• they're_right_you_know

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Or will people continue to slate Sony for releasing it and not a native handheld
Yes

which isn’t even feasible.
I still reckon it is, somehow. 10 years of tech advancements since Vita, and everyone ragged on PS4's slow component bottlenecks at the time. Flash PS4 OS onto it, or some cut-down version of it like PSNow's "half PS3 XMB".

OP
OP
Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I still reckon it is, somehow. 10 years of tech advancements since Vita, and everyone ragged on PS4's slow component bottlenecks at the time. Flash PS4 OS onto it, or some cut-down version of it like PSNow's "half PS3 XMB".

The Steamdeck is PS4 standard and costs the price of a PS5 digital.

We have all seen what nightmares the Xbox series S has caused which is more powerful than both the Steamdeck and PS4.

You really think that is feasible?

Or are you expecting Sony to make separate games for a handheld when they are struggling to output games for the PS5 currently.

It has caused Microsoft problems and Nintendo has given up on having 2 platforms too.

Not happening.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Will the Playstation Portal outsell the Steamdeck?
Steamdeck sold what, 3-4 million copies until now maybe? Yes, I see PS Portal selling more than this.

Specially once people hack it to put there emulators, and or when Sony would update it to officially include there PS cloud gaming, their PS1/PS2/PSP classics and maybe even their mobile phone games too.

But Sony won't make games specifically for this. It's a remote play device, maximum once they release the PS cloud gaming client and some games for Android they could include them here too because it's an Android device. As of now, the goal of the device is to increase player engagement (like daily or weekly gameplay hours) of the PS5 games via remote play.

I think it may even outsell the Vita specially if it gets some review to add an oled screen, wifi6 and the tech of the company they just bought to reduce the lag. But not sure if they'll spend a lot of work on firmware updates, hardware revisions or updating remote play even if very successful. They may even just wait to impleent all the improvements in hte next gen: PS Portal 2 for PS6.

And if it does will it be considered a success?
Yes. Sony considered a success recent releases such as PSVR2, DualSense Edge and other accesories. We didn't get repors from them getting sold out in stores or preorders, and we got them with PS Portal.

Last edited:
  • brain

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
The Steamdeck is PS4 standard and costs the price of a PS5 digital.

We have all seen what nightmares the Xbox series S has caused which is more powerful than both the Steamdeck and PS4.

You really think that is feasible?

Or are you expecting Sony to make separate games for a handheld when they are struggling to output games for the PS5 currently.

It has caused Microsoft problems and Nintendo has given up on having 2 platforms too.

Not happening.
I say "portable ps4" as a way of saying the device is lowest common denominator for connecting into the PSN ecosystem of playing the console games. No split libraries. I assume a ps4 portable is maybe do-able, but a ps5 portable is obviously still in dream-land. Would it be better for me to phrase it as "PS handheld with PS4 power levels/software compatability, and remote play PS5?"

Yes, the Portal connects into the PSN ecosystem and allows portable remote playing of the home console games (yay all the buttons; boo remote play only); but it has no local storage and downloading of games which is a great shame in the face of funky signal strength etc. It has no PS+ game streaming atm either. For what it is, it'll be better than smartphone remote playing, I'll get one for that, but it's still another half-assed product that could be so much more etc.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
This Is the problem with ppl they base success on arbitrary metrics they think means success! It will be successful if it recoups its R@D dev costs and then brings in a good amount of profit regardless of what others sell. That can be a million, 2 million, 5, etc we won't know until we know the budgets and numbers.

OP
OP
Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
This Is the problem with ppl they base success on arbitrary metrics they think means success! It will be successful if it recoups its R@D dev costs and then brings in a good amount of profit regardless of what others sell. That can be a million, 2 million, 5, etc we won't know until we know the budgets and numbers.

True.

Vita sold 15 million and was considered a failure.

Steamdeck a success selling 3 million.

Personally after all the bad press the Portal had anything around the Steamdeck figures would be considered a success.

I doubt there was much R and D costs involved in making the Portal.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I think it will outsell the deck not just in units but in revenue as well.

I can easily see the playstation portal selling 15m units lifetime.

• fire
Reactions: The Icon

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
I think there is a small chance but we will see

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
It's a silly comparison. Portal can be a "Success" for what it is. It can even outsell the Steam Deck in units. Nevertheless, the Portal is a modest device. It's useful, but it's a PS5 peripheral.

Steam Deck and Steam OS represent something much bigger. SteamOS as a platform for games that can go with you in a lot of different formats. Soon one Steam purchase will get you handheld, console, desktop, cloud, and VR experiences. The Deck is a singular device, but it is only the most significant among many PC handhelds which are only going to get faster, smaller, cheaper, with tech advancements.

That's why it's pointless to compare unit sales like it's Playstation vs Xbox. Deck is a breakthrough expanding the PC/Steam ecosystem. One massive library of games delivered to a lot of different kinds of devices.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nomen_Nescio

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
If they can find a way to make it a PS+ streaming device as well it will def sell well for years.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Steamdeck sold what, 3-4 million copies until now maybe? Yes, I see PS Portal selling more than this.

Specially once people hack it to put there emulators, and or when Sony would update it to officially include there PS cloud gaming, their PS1/PS2/PSP classics and maybe even their mobile phone games too.

But Sony won't make games specifically for this. It's a remote play device, maximum once they release the PS cloud gaming client and some games for Android they could include them here too because it's an Android device. As of now, the goal of the device is to increase player engagement (like daily or weekly gameplay hours) of the PS5 games via remote play.

I think it may even outsell the Vita specially if it gets some review to add an oled screen, wifi6 and the tech of the company they just bought to reduce the lag. But not sure if they'll spend a lot of work on firmware updates, hardware revisions or updating remote play even if very successful. They may even just wait to impleent all the improvements in hte next gen: PS Portal 2 for PS6.

Yes. Sony considered a success recent releases such as PSVR2, DualSense Edge and other accesories. We didn't get repors from them getting sold out in stores or preorders, and we got them with PS Portal.
That would make it very interesting. Do we know the cpu on the thing? What sort of emu’s can it run?