Windows Central-Embracer is showing the dangers of irresponsible consolidation, stands in stark contrast to Xbox (Hmmm paid piece?) Thoughts?

Kx11

Banned
7 Jan 2024
Katar
flickr.com
Funny how Tomb Raider changed its whole perspective and when it rebooted it was an Uncharted clone and still not good enough 🤣 imitation is the best flattery.

Nope, Tomb Raider was Tomb Raider, upscaling the game design from the N64 days to PS3/X360 hardware was inline of what a TR game should be, they even went darker and way more gore than Uncharted, also less cringe jokes in TR than Uncharted :cool::cool::cool:

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Nope, Tomb Raider was Tomb Raider, upscaling the game design from the N64 days to PS3/X360 hardware was inline of what a TR game should be, they even went darker and way more gore than Uncharted, also less cringe jokes in TR than Uncharted :cool::cool::cool:
Nope you are factually incorrect, they all take inspiration from each other and as a treasure hunter Gane Uncharted sure dud but Uncharted was a diff beast and Tomb Raider devs when they rebooted ripped off Uncharted all the way through which is how and why they rebooted changing the games look in 2013 to of course be more like Uncharted 😊

Not to mention several games did the treasure hunter thing way before any of them including Pitfall and Indiana Jones franchise.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Not reading the article but I think everyone gets Embracer wrong. Its not that consolidation doesn't work, its that they did it very badly by not consolidating enough. They have six different video game publishers under their belt, all duplicating HR, marketing, etc, none with any quality control, none with a strong brand (maybe Gearbox, but man its been a looooong time since BL3...) The more diversified you are, the less appealing your stock is to investors, so I'd really like to know what they thought they were getting out of, like, Dark Horse. It seems like they brought shit in the same way that I, a collector-consumer, do. And thats no way to run a business.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Interesting info, thnks for sharing.
As a reference, when Vivendi tried to buy Ubisoft there was a non-corporate letter signed in a personal level -as I remember- by around 4000 employees saying that we were against the acquisition and that we'd leave (I was one of them, even was one of the people who organized it) if the acquisition was going to be made, this or other one that could compromise Ubisoft's creative freedom (like forcing to work on external IPs we didn't want, focusing on a few best selling ones, to stop working on new IPs, to force stop supporting all platforms we wanted, etc). Basically we didn't want to repeat what Activision Blizzard suffered when acquired by Vivendi.

Back then Ubi didn't have the around 20K employees it has now. Vivendi had to go away with their money and Yves Guillemot did put a photo of many of us in his office (which appeared in one of the E3 conference hype trailers).

I'm no longer there, but I assume a similar situation would happen if someone else would try a similar hostile takeover -as could be Microsoft-, you can expect a similar response from them. But now thanks to Tencent a hostile takeover isn't possible. Ubisoft would only be sold if they want to sell, and they don't want. In fact they can't because signed so with Tencent.

Regarding investors like Tencent, who only puts money and ask nothing to change in exchange other than the typical dividends of any investment (and in this case Tencent also helps with the Chinese stores) there's no issue.

Ubisoft has full control, do what they want in all platforms, Tencent help Ubi to grow and in exchange they get a portion that money. Win/win situation, everybody is happy.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
They acquire to then shortly layoff and shutter so many ppl. Xbox consolidation isn't no better they are going to mismanage, layoff as well and do horrible things to beloved ips.
Microsoft avoids mass layoffs by using contractors. You aren’t technically laid off if they just don’t renew your contract at the end!

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I saw someone attacking John Campea for saying he wants to play Indy on PlayStation. Umm, Campea is what you would call a casual? Of course he’d rather play Indy on the only console that people own or matters this gen….

😂
Yeah I bet fur him it wasn't even port begging just a matter of wanting for him. I agree.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Yeah I bet fur him it wasn't even port begging just a matter of wanting for him. I agree.

Whenever you try to sell your favorite games to a friend or peer etc… usually the first thing someone says is “can I play it on (platform of choice).”

It makes sense someone would be disappointed that it’s only available on the least popular game console and not the one everyone else has.

And that’s all that was… but they’re coming at him with the pitchforks and torches.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Whenever you try to sell your favorite games to a friend or peer etc… usually the first thing someone says is “can I play it on (platform of choice).”

It makes sense someone would be disappointed that it’s only available on the least popular game console and not the one everyone else has.

And that’s all that was… but they’re coming at him with the pitchforks and torches.
Ridiculous. Hardcore gamers are stuck in a weird bubble. No port begging as a rule lol. It's like the ppl associated with the underworld and gangs and having a "no snitch" code. The average, law abiding citizen doesn't adhere to tht nor should they. A crime is committed and you go report it, simple.