Xbox considering "OEM" for their next console (confirmed legit)

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Honestly, it's baffling that the worse xbox does, the more confident AND radicalized these people get. There has to be a medical term to explain this.

I'm being honest here, it's not a normal mental state.
It’s well past the point of cult and I’d say even beyond psychosis. Senj sage probably has more in common with Jeffrey dahmer. In my opinion

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Sony made around half a billion in revenue outside PS only in the last FY. And in the current FY is having an increase of over 50% vs the previous fiscal year. Each PC did cost them a couple millions, so they are making a ton of profit with PC.

Last month was their best selling one since the PS2 and they reached their biggest MAU ever, so they have their biggest active userbase everr. We also saw 50% of the PS5 consoles sold a year ago were to new users to the PS brand, they didn't have a PS4.

PS brand isn't being diluted, it's growing instead. They are making new fans in PC and some of them are buying the console, in a bigger number than the ones who may leave consoles.
Again, if those games were on PS devices only, said Steam purchaser at lower retail price would now buy a $70 game, a PS device and probably (now owning the device), other PS exclusive games. If your argument is "but money", pc ain't where to get it.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
If the Switch counts as a console, then so does the Asus ROG ally, steamdeck, etc etc.
They don't. If Microsoft make an Xbox handheld (which they should have done 15 years ago) then maybe.

Saying that, the next Xbox console would be better as a handheld, with GP going third party ...you may be on to something.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Again, if those games were on PS devices only, said Steam purchaser at lower retail price would now buy a $70 game, a PS device and probably (now owning the device), other PS exclusive games. If your argument is "but money", pc ain't where to get it.
The thing is that the big majority of the PC+mobile market don't play on consoles. Because they prefer to play on PC or mobile, because can't afford it or because in their country don't have tradition to do so due to local policies (like taxing very high the foreign hardware etc).

The console userbase has been stuck in a 200-300M population for decades, and since they need to expand the publishers also went for the 3B population of mobile and PC gaming.

Many people will know their brands or will become fan via their PC stuff, and a small portion of them will want to play their other games not available in PC and will go to buy the console.

Reactions: flaccidsnake

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
They don't. If Microsoft make an Xbox handheld (which they should have done 15 years ago) then maybe.

Saying that, the next Xbox console would be better as a handheld, with GP going third party ...you may be on to something.
How do you justify saying those consoles aren't considered consoles?

24 Jun 2022
Sony games generated 67.73B Yen ($457,21M) in the last fiscal year outside PS (meaning, PC+Destiny 2 Xbox), and in the first half of the current year generated 37.18B Yen ($250.99M) an increase of around 55% YoY.

image.png

image.png

Again why are you bringing Destiny 2 & Xbox into this? I am talking about the PC revenue from 1P non-GaaS ports from Sony/SIE, and that portion was under $250 million in FY revenue. It also included Destiny 2 PC revenue.

We saw that the costs of the PC ports was around a couple millions each, so all of them did cost them maybe around $20M. They and the 7 years old Destiny 2 outside PS generating almost half a billion in revenue (and this year having a 55% increase YoY) is a super profitable business.

No, not all of them were a "couple of million". I remember seeing Rift Apart's PC port was about $2 million, but we know some can go up to $30 million as per the email from Jim Ryan in the hacks.

Also I wouldn't get too hyped up on Destiny 2 revenue ATM; momentum has softened after the cuts and with the next expansion delayed that will also impact revenue negatively.

All their non-GaaS PC ports have been released around 2 years or more after the original release of these games. 10 years in the case of TLOU. Not 3 months, not 1 year: from 2 to 10 years of waiting for those who get ported (if they ever get ported, because Sony isn't porting all their games).

You are missing the fact, that the window for the ports over time has shrunk. You bring up TLOU without distinguishing that it was the remake, not the original. The remake launched 6 months between PS5 and PC. Acting as if it were 9-10 years only matters to the entrenched fans who already played the game prior on PS3 & PS4, who are just a portion of the target audience for the remake.

Basically, for newer would-be PS5 owners who were also new to TLOU franchise, if their interest in the game was spurred on by the show and they were factoring the remake as an incentive to pick up a PS5, some percentage of them may've decided against a PS5 purchase at that time because they may've know the game would get a port to PC six months later. Actually, just announcing the PC version was on the way right as they were advertising it for PS5 might've cut into PS5 sales and sales of the game on PS5.

It's actually a bit similar to what I believe might've had some effect on FF XVI; now I consider that game a success, as does Square-Enix. And it is a sales success...but they probably could have sold even more copies on PS5 if they didn't start talking about the PC version before the PS5 version even launched. That probably convinced some portion of PC FF fans who would've considered getting a PS5 for (among other things) FF XVI, to just skip that and wait for what they assumed would be a port exactly six months later. It got a point where Yoshida had to clarify and say realistically there wasn't much chance of the game launching on PC (Steam) on January 1, 2024.

Anyway back to my point: the window already shrunk from 3 years on average, to 2 years on average...what's to say it won't shrink to 1 year on average going forward? I still remember Herman Hulst saying something to that effect as a possibility sometime early last year, and it was Jim Ryan who came out and said that porting window was going to be closer to 2-3 years, contradicting Herman's statements. Well, Jim is retiring in a couple of months, while Herman is still there. Maybe Herman's statement was taken from something earlier with Jim, or maybe Herman was (or is) pushing for even smaller windows between PS5 and PC (Steam). We'll see.

But you already know where I stand on this: the windows should be larger between console and PC (Steam) for the non-GaaS titles, at least 4-6 years, and always within 1-2 years of a new entry or IP releasing exclusively on the console. That's in an ecosystem where the console is still the massively dominant component, and that won't be changing anytime soon for PlayStation. I'd consider that a good thing.

So if PC players want PS games have to options: to wait from 2 to 10 years to see if they get ported or not. Or to buy a PS5. The exception will be some MP GaaS (not all, see GT or MLB) titles like the Bungie ones, who will be day one on PC.

The porting strategy has began to create a cadence that some on PC are using to predict when on average a port is going to happen. And if there are less and less reasons for them to consider buying a PS5 in the first place (fewer 1P releases, much less defacto 3P exclusives compared to PS1/2/3, possibly relatively high price etc.), they won't have a problem waiting 2 years (or less) for the ports to come to PC. They have many other games to play in the meantime.

I mean you're already starting to see the consequences of this with these rumors of even more 1P ports to PC/Steam; whether the source is fake or not, the fact is Sony's strategy and cadence the past couple of years has created an environment where those types of rumors can actually manifest and get some type of substance or feedback (and confirmation bias) by various people in the community.

It's helped allow even the media to create certain narratives WRT the ports, narratives that ultimately dinge the unique value proposition of the console itself in the eyes of enthusiasts holdouts, and none of this is necessarily countered by Sony themselves, who frankly don't have good messaging in enthusiast spaces online. You could almost say it's nonexistent, which is a far cry from what it used to be.

Theres absolutely no Sony metric that leads to think that this PC ports strategy had any negative effect: the opposite, the console and 1st party games in console are selling better than ever and they are growing their MAU to all time record levels, with 50% of new to PS users in console sales. So if something the PC ports are selling consoles, not reducing them.

You're still only looking at the short-term, not the long-term. Microsoft's strategy with Xbox took several years to finally catch up to them. I've said for a while that, if Sony continue their current strategy for ports to PC of traditional AA/AAA games, or accelerate that strategy (flat-out all games, even shorter windows), then it'd be systems like the PS5 Pro and PS6 that pay the price, not necessarily the PS5 itself.

The PS5 has already more or less built up its necessary momentum. Most who are buying systems going forward are less enthusiast, more casual & mainstream types. For them it's more about the brand of PlayStation that's drawing them in, but part of what's built up that brand capital for PS5 were the hardcore & core enthusiasts who purchased the system en masse in the first 3 or so years of its lifecycle. They're the ones who set the momentum, and it's them whom Sony risk alienating with continuing the current porting strategy as-is or accelerating it (with no vested interest of their own to pool it towards, such as their own launcher/storefront on PC).

Most obvious would be slower adoption of systems like the PS5 Pro and PS6, but it can also start to manifest with the PS5 in terms of some notable percentage of hardcore/core enthusiasts switching to PC to access the 1P content which interests them, and do more and more of their 3P gaming & buying on. Since hardcore/core enthusiasts are the highest ARPU type in the ecosystem, what little difference they'd make in absolute customer numbers, they'd more than likely make up for in spending revenue.

Put it this way: if 5% of your total install base are doing 20% of the revenue spending on average, and you convince half of that 5% to shift their spending elsewhere, you're looking at potentially 5-10% less total revenue for your platform ecosystem. That can become significant.

The oppposite case of MS and their "all 1st party games day one on PC & GP" strategy. Very different strategy with very different results.

Opposite in some ways, similar in others. Again, TLOU Remake was a six-month window between PS5 and PC; that could be a one-off or it could be an example of things to come. However when you outright advertise "the PC version is on the way", while trying to pitch the game's sale on the console, at a messaging level it doesn't become too much different from what Microsoft has been doing.

As in, you're already getting that PC version to build up mindshare within the would-be customer's head, so that version already seems closer to happening then it would have otherwise if one had not mentioned it so soon. We kind of saw something similar play out with FF XVI, I'd argue, but this is about Sony's 1P titles, not 3P games.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Because a console is a console and a handheld is a handheld.
a switch is a handheld and a console. Also maybe you aren't aware but both steamdeck, rog ally, etc are all able to be plugged into a TV just like a switch is.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Again why are you bringing Destiny 2 & Xbox into this? I am talking about the PC revenue from 1P non-GaaS ports from Sony/SIE, and that portion was under $250 million in FY revenue. It also included Destiny 2 PC revenue.
Because Destiny is now a Sony game so it's included with the other ones and because in their most recent report is the one I posted, where they report all their non-PS revenue combined, not the PC revenue alone.

No, not all of them were a "couple of million". I remember seeing Rift Apart's PC port was about $2 million, but we know some can go up to $30 million as per the email from Jim Ryan in the hacks.
No, in the document of the Rift Apart budget there was the budget of other past PC ports and were all around $2M.

Spider-Man Remastered had a budget of $39M for the remaster itself (not the port). The PC port had a budget of $2.3M. The Morales one $1.5M and Rift Apart had a budget of $81M for the game and 2.6M for the port. As I said, the released PC ports of the Insomniac games had a budget of around 2M each.

umVyg5E.jpg

vdlrsxnnzd7c1.jpeg

Also I wouldn't get too hyped up on Destiny 2 revenue ATM; momentum has softened after the cuts and with the next expansion delayed that will also impact revenue negatively.
When Sony announced the Bungie acquisition they were "more than 900 people". They have been growing since then, being "more than 1400" now.

With these "cuts" the were temporally down from 1200 to 1100 people, and they are way more people than before that the cuts. Which Bloomberg and similar FUD aside, according to Sony and Bungie were mainly hr/pr/marketing/Q&A people that Bungie decided that weren't going to be needed when they made the acquisition (pretty likely because Sony already had people doing that for them).

Destiny 2 is a 7 years old game, still should generate a few hundred millions per year but obviously not as much as did in the past, at this point must be way less than before. I think this is going to be the last year it receives a major update / expansion, so they'll move their focus and gamers to Marathon once it releases. Plus their main devs I assume must be in Marathon, Matter and in more unannounced stuff as could be Destiny 3.

My point is that Destiny 2 is a GaaS on its sunseting stage so will continue declining every year. But once released, around a year from now new and fresh GaaS like Helldivers 2, Concord and Maraton they should be generating way more revenue.

You are missing the fact, that the window for the ports over time has shrunk. You bring up TLOU without distinguishing that it was the remake, not the original. The remake launched 6 months between PS5 and PC. Acting as if it were 9-10 years only matters to the entrenched fans who already played the game prior on PS3 & PS4, who are just a portion of the target audience for the remake.

Basically, for newer would-be PS5 owners who were also new to TLOU franchise, if their interest in the game was spurred on by the show and they were factoring the remake as an incentive to pick up a PS5, some percentage of them may've decided against a PS5 purchase at that time because they may've know the game would get a port to PC six months later. Actually, just announcing the PC version was on the way right as they were advertising it for PS5 might've cut into PS5 sales and sales of the game on PS5.

It's actually a bit similar to what I believe might've had some effect on FF XVI; now I consider that game a success, as does Square-Enix. And it is a sales success...but they probably could have sold even more copies on PS5 if they didn't start talking about the PC version before the PS5 version even launched. That probably convinced some portion of PC FF fans who would've considered getting a PS5 for (among other things) FF XVI, to just skip that and wait for what they assumed would be a port exactly six months later. It got a point where Yoshida had to clarify and say realistically there wasn't much chance of the game launching on PC (Steam) on January 1, 2024.

Anyway back to my point: the window already shrunk from 3 years on average, to 2 years on average...what's to say it won't shrink to 1 year on average going forward? I still remember Herman Hulst saying something to that effect as a possibility sometime early last year, and it was Jim Ryan who came out and said that porting window was going to be closer to 2-3 years, contradicting Herman's statements. Well, Jim is retiring in a couple of months, while Herman is still there. Maybe Herman's statement was taken from something earlier with Jim, or maybe Herman was (or is) pushing for even smaller windows between PS5 and PC (Steam). We'll see.
When Hermen and Jim said they are happy with the around 2 years or more from original release for traditional games (meaning not MP focused GaaS). They meant the original release, not recent ports/remasters/remakes.

This is the time since their original release to the PC port:

Helldivers 1: 6 months
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture: 8 months
Guns up!: around 2 years
Predator Hunting Grounds: around 1 year
---------------------------------------------------
HZD: around 3 years and a half
DG: around 2 years
GoW: around 4 years
Spider-Man: around 4 years
Spider-Man Morales: around 2 years
Uncharted 4: around 6 years and a half
Uncharted Lost Legacy: around 5 years
Sackboy: around 2 years
Returnal: around 2 years
TLOU: around 10 years
Rift Apart: around 2 years
HFW: 2 around years

The window never shrunk from 3 to 2 years. It always has been "around two or more" from their original release and I think will continue being the case going forward because they are happy with the results.

Unless you make the twist of only counting their late PS5 ports/remasters/remakes, acting as if the original game never existed and already was bought by most of the players interested on it. In that case yes, they'd have shrinked to around 1 year or less.

But games like Uncharted 4 and TLOU already had sold way over a dozen million copies on PS when released on PC, plus were on PS+, and their remasters/remake barely are different from the original game. Almost everybody interested on getting them on PS already did it before the PC port. And their next gen version (same goes with TLOU2R) are almost exactly the same game with a facelift, aren't cases like Demon's Souls or RE4 remake where they got important differences in art style or gameplay.

In any case, the thing is that they're running out of very old games to port with a potential to sell decently (I think there's only Bloodborne, Nathan Drake Collection and GoW Trilogy there, maybe could try with stuff like Gravity Rush Remastered+2 or Pataton Remastered once they release the adaptation but without hoping great sales, catalog filler experiments like Sackboy), so they'll focus more on games released around 2 years ago. And well, once they release their PC store I think they may also add emulated PS/PS2/PSP classics.

The porting strategy has began to create a cadence that some on PC are using to predict when on average a port is going to happen.
Yes, since they starter porting AAA titles it has been around 2 years or more since their original launch or more, up to 10. The "around 2 years" will be more frequent than to get older ports. And this is if they ever get ported. MP GaaS will have more chances to get ported, -even more if they are F2P, as I assume will be the case of the Asian mobile games-, and in many cases getting a day one release.

And if there are less and less reasons for them to consider buying a PS5 in the first place (fewer 1P releases, much less defacto 3P exclusives compared to PS1/2/3, possibly relatively high price etc.), they won't have a problem waiting 2 years (or less) for the ports to come to PC. They have many other games to play in the meantime.
In this case why sales of PS5 hardware and 1st party games are increasing with half of customers being new to PS? PS5 has a ton of games not available on PC.

The amount of PS5 only or console only games released every year is bigger than the amount of games that Sony ports to PC that year, which means that over time the total amount of games available in PS5 but not in PC will increase instead of decreasing. And this is not counting PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/PSP games.

Beyond the cheaper gaming hardware, downloadable PS+ catalog or PSVR2, plug and play experience there are a ton of exclusive games to make the jump from PC to PS5, and the number will continue growing.

I mean you're already starting to see the consequences of this with these rumors of even more 1P ports to PC/Steam;
Yes, I saw the all time records of PS5 hardware, service, games, plus MAU record and record PS5 only sales of sequels of games previously ported to PC, plus also half of PS5 being bought by new to PS users a year ago.

All the facts we have leading to some potential influence are positive, none of them are negative.

You're still only looking at the short-term, not the long-term.
I'm the one looking at the long term and being realistic: without GaaS, PC and mobile the big AAA Sony SP games won't be able to exist.

The game sales sevenue keep declining -specially in retail- and being replaced by addons revenue. The console userbase has been 200-300M since decades ago so doesn't seem possible to highly grow it. With inflation the game prices are cheaper than ever but budgets skyrocket every generation since the 8 to 16 bits generation transition.

So in the long term game sales revenue won't be enough to pay their budget even if they sell 30M copies. So they must expand to GaaS and other platforms to get revenue to fund these future SP AAA games. And also expand on the merchandising part like movie adaptations plus maybe also toys, board games, books and beyond.

Focusing only in consoles and only in SP games works now but won't work in 10 or 20 years from now. The correct strategy is the one they have: to focus on PS and SP but also to expand to GaaS, PC, mobile and merchandising/adaptations.

PS is in a great shape today, but they must expand to also support (not replacing console and non-GaaS SP game) GaaS, PC, mobile and cloud to survive in the future. This is the reality of the market and the nature of game development, the sky rocketing game budgets force them to do so.

If instead of listening to the market and understanding that the game dev get more expensive every generation they listen instead the few Sony blind fanboys who reject reality and cry when seeing Sony doing stuff related to cloud, GaaS, PC, then PlayStation would be fucked and would die in a generation or two.

Microsoft's strategy with Xbox took several years to finally catch up to them. I've said for a while that, if Sony continue their current strategy for ports to PC of traditional AA/AAA games, or accelerate that strategy (flat-out all games, even shorter windows), then it'd be systems like the PS5 Pro and PS6 that pay the price, not necessarily the PS5 itself.
Not sure if you realized it, but PS is the one dominating the market and Xbox the one collapsing and maybe stopping to make their own consoles. Not the opposite.

Sony continues dominating Xbox in console hardware, software and services plus sales, reviews and awards for exclusive games. MS is only catching up in revenue because they are adding on top the revenue of acquired companies.

Sony's revenue and profit instead is growing organically achieving gaming history records for any platform holder. And will grow even faster once they start releasing new top GaaS in console, PC and mobile.

PC ports of old games and mobile games will also highly grow their profitability, money they'll use to grow their existing teams and acquiring new ones as they already have been doing.

These many millions of new players reached via PC, mobile and adaptions will make the PS brand more popular, resulting on pushing the console sales way more than we're seeing today.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
If the Switch counts as a console, then so does the Asus ROG ally, steamdeck, etc etc.
This, but unironically. Steamdeck literally is a hybrid and the only reason people think of it as anything else is because of Valve's PC heritage and them cribbing parts of the library from Steam. And then all of the third party open source/Windows OS can be counted as a separate system, I suppose, or the rebirth of the microcomputer.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
sure, if you say so. everyone else disagrees.
Everyone who disagrees is wrong.

You have a console and a handheld console. The 'handheld' part is added to the word 'console' to differentiate itself from an ordinary console, otherwise, 'handheld' would be a redundant word.

Can I walk around playing a PS2? No, because it's a console. Can I walk around playing a 3DS? Yes, because it's a handheld.

All thumbs are fingers, but not all fingers are thumbs.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Everyone who disagrees is wrong.

You have a console and a handheld console. The 'handheld' part is added to the word 'console' to differentiate itself from an ordinary console, otherwise, 'handheld' would be a redundant word.

Can I walk around playing a PS2? No, because it's a console. Can I walk around playing a 3DS? Yes, because it's a handheld.

All thumbs are fingers, but not all fingers are thumbs.
Lol. So is this a console or handheld?