Xbox hardware team (Jason Ronald) replaced by Surface team. - xboxera

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
Middle of the week I'd think but I also would like it to be over soon so tomorrow. Aftermath will be even funnier when this is all officially announced.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
They are making a handheld Xbox for sure.
Look at this interview:
Spencer: I don't know a lot about - what is it, Project Q?

Spencer: Like, I haven't been briefed on it. I know a lot about the Steam Deck. And things like the Asus ROG Ally, I don't think those are going to be niche devices - those are going to reach scale. They've sold millions of Steam Decks and they get used. We have a lot of games in Steam, so I can kind of see and in fact, I think we just saw in the Steam charts that Linux is now ahead of Mac OS as a runtime platform, and I have to believe the Steam Deck had a ton to do with that. I know for me, my ROG Ally is my Xbox on the go. Because almost every game supports cross-save so I can sit down and I can pick up my progress there. My friends are there if I'm playing a multiplayer game. And then when I go home, and I pick up from my console, it's very continuous. So I'm picking a little bit on the niche experience. I think if it was something totally dedicated to being extension of the console. But these are standalone platforms unto themselves.

I think you have answered my question! I think Project Q is part of the PlayStation ecosystem and for Xbox, there isn't a specific Xbox handheld thing - you just have the ability to play Xbox games, and PC games on those other devices, like you mentioned.

Spencer: Yeah. And I'll pick the ROG Ally because it's one I'm playing on right now a lot. Every time I sit down I and I'm playing with it - I'm playing a lot of Brotato right now - but it's like, why doesn't this feel... why isn't this an Xbox? What is it about it, for the player experience? Forget about what colour the plastic is or whose name is on the back of it. What is it about that experience that is different when I'm on the go from what I have with my console? I think the differences are smaller and smaller for us. Because Game Pass is there so my library of games are there. The controls are basically the same ABXY, twin stick, triggers. My saved games are there. So yeah, I don't need people to buy a piece of hardware from us specifically to go play. It's an amazing Xbox experience, even though we didn't build the device. And I think that's totally fine.
https://www.eurogamer.net/the-definitive-xbox-gamescom-interview

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Reading on ERA that if MS announce a handheld it will be a huge win.
It would be a huge L playstation seems to have struck gold with the portal far more successful than it should be since it just streams games from the ps5 you already own , an Xbox version would bomb because it doesn't have the power the playstation brand has

Reactions: Diah

Nitro

Icon Extra
10 Apr 2023
North Pole
They figured bigger numbers coupled with an immense marketing machine would help them.

"No compromises!"

Meanwhile Mark Cerny and the ICE Team: "It's easier to fully use 36 compute units in parallel than it is to fully use 48 CUs; it's much harder to fill all the CUs with useful work." (paraphrasing)

Xbox diehards accused him of damage controlling. Mark Cerny. Yeah.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
That is irrelevant my dude. it sold only 3 million.
It's availability was pretty varied so I don't think that's as indicative of addressable market for such a device. It never even got an official release in countries like Australia.

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
It's availability was pretty varied so I don't think that's as indicative of addressable market for such a device. It never even got an official release in countries like Australia.
Fair point, but its more niche then the xbox.

Reactions: Nimrota

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Their hardware team sucks:
- Series S complete awfulness
- Series X not consistently beating the PS5
- Always on with the Xbox One
- DDR3 memory on the Xbox One
- No solution VR support despite promises
- Boring controller that is pretty much the same since the 360 days

Reactions: Diah and Jim Ryan
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Their hardware team sucks:
- Series S complete awfulness
- Series X not consistently beating the PS5
- Always on with the Xbox One
- DDR3 memory on the Xbox One
- No solution VR support despite promises
- Boring controller that is pretty much the same since the 360 days
The original Xbox was the one good hardware , I liked the 360 but lots of people got the rrod so I'm not counting it

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Diah and Nhomnhom
24 Jun 2022
Not surprising that they would think that.

An Xbox handheld that isn't MS's equivalent to a Steam Deck will fail. Which means, if Microsoft otherwise keeps Xbox hardware (which would now include a handheld) on the traditional console business model, particularly with the quirks Microsoft have introduced in their own ecosystem over the years, it will fail.

Why? Because it would still be plagued by many of the problems the Series S & X have. The games are still Day 1 on PC, and Microsoft puts all their games on Steam. Valve has the Steam Deck, which can play all of those games plus plenty others (including many games exclusive to Steam). So in that sense an Xbox handheld that's still a closed box, and does what the Series consoles currently do just in a handheld format, has little value compared to the Steam Deck, which has the added bonus of being usable as a Linux computer when docked (signaling what an Xbox handheld should be, i.e a Microsoft Windows gaming handheld). Don't even get me started on how poorly it'd fare against Nintendo.

If it's meant to be a hardware extension allowing Series X and S games to be natively played on-the-go, similar to the PlayStation handheld rumors, then no one should expect it to suddenly have an explosion of sales. Such a handheld would still be mainly appealing to people who already have a Series X or S console, which doesn't have the largest or healthiest install base. And again, it would still suffer from the Day 1 on PC problem, meaning it still has to contend with devices like the Steam Deck, ASUS Rog Ally etc. while lacking the general-purpose PC benefits those devices provide.

If it's meant to act as a Game Pass pusher, that inherently means it'll be heavily focused on streaming. Meaning, it wouldn't have a lot in terms of power, which would make you question the rumor that it (even if a dockable) and the home console variant (pertaining to that rumor) would have the same power capability, especially if Microsoft are using AMD again for the GPU side of things. If they would in fact have the same power, then either the "beefy" home console would be something between a One X and Series X in terms of raw compute power (which would mean the dock portion of the dockable handheld would have the same power so...why make two models doing the exact same thing more or less?), or be even weaker than that.

The only way an Xbox handheld that's functioning in the confines of a traditional business model console-wise can succeed, is if Microsoft undo their Day 1 PC policy, at least for the majority of their games, and cut back on a good number of their ports to PlayStation & Nintendo systems too. And they'd have to marry that with aggressive free perks and discounts, etc. of their games to Game Pass subscribers on console. I won't 100% rule out that's something they actually do, but you can imagine the shitstorm it'd cause not even with PS & Nintendo gamers, but especially PC gamers, not to mention it'd run completely counter to all the messaging Microsoft did in the media and for regulators the past two years. It might even directly violate a lot of the contractual agreements in place and concessions they agreed to for ABK.

In short there's like a 5% chance at best they do something that drastic, even if that would be the surefire way to make Xbox consoles and a handheld operating on the traditional model, find actual success. Therefore chances are this handheld, if it exists, is way more likely to be a Microsoft Gaming/Windows handheld/dockable and probably part of a push for Microsoft gaming hardware that's much more PC-centric in the business model, and competing as gaming-specific Windows devices in market segments like mini-PC NUCs, portables, laptops etc. that Microsoft and 3P OEMs would make customized variants of, running an Xbox-like gaming frontend and also functioning as full Windows machines.

That's something which not only fits with their "pro-consumer" messaging the past couple years, and not only fits in with the rest of the corporation's operations, but also gives new hardware some actual market appeal (and higher/better pricing to have good profit margins off the hardware sales directly).

Reactions: pop and Kokoloko

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
There was development? Noobs can make a better job.
Series is through and through garbage, from software to hardware and price.
If i were m$ higher up, i would consider, that i was scammed.
I would have taken him seriously with the length of the beard alone I think the guy is a genius, throw in a few buzz word and I'm buying bridges all over the place from this genius!