Xbox is in a very difficult hardware predicament

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
During the epidemic and lockdowns, the Series S seemed like a very good idea. The media and Xbox influencers were bullish on the hardware, touting it as 'incredible value' and a low cost entry-point for access to gamepass.
The lower production of silicon and AMD's limited capacity also made the series S ideal since they could make more of those units using less silicon comparative to the PS5 and Series X.

Microsoft Size GIF by Xbox

However things changed, the silicon situation resolved itself and the series s doesn't seem to be carrying the demand anymore. Games are struggling to be developed for the series S, the latest example is Baldurs Gate 3, which is delayed into next year.

Then we have the Series X, which seems to be costly to produce and therefore gets less production capacity from Microsoft, as they want to limit losses. The console uses the most silicon but performs about the same as a PS5, which is obviously using less silicon.

The situation now: Both Xbox consoles are selling less than ever due to the split SKU strategy, Series S being perceived to hold back the generation and microsoft unable to phase it out as well over half the Xbox units sold are the lesser series S.

PlayStation are on the verge of releasing their PS5 Slim and then the Pro.... these will do two things, continue undercutting Xbox, while offering a superior product (in terms of consumers) and then the Pro will push performance and the generation forward, overshadowing the series X and making PlayStation even more favored by developers that want to showcase the cutting edge and easier development.

Gamer Ps GIF by PlayStation

I can't see Microsoft willing to suck up even more losses in the area of hardware for an ailing platform. Are we approaching the end of Xbox hardware?

Or will they draw out this terminal condition and refuse to face the truth for now?

Ps5 Wow GIF by PlayStation

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
They have been absolutely bullish about the Series S and the parity clause, so I vote for drawing it out. There's also the great, unproven hope that Starfield and the potential acquisition of ABK will shift more units.

Reactions: Bryank75

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Regardless of how the hardware performs with games, its being outsold at LEAST 2:1 right now and thats before a presumably 399 PS5 slim and the Xbox price hikes have kicked in.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Puff and Bryank75

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The Series always seemed like a terrible idea. It's the opposite of what a console should be.

Bad value, outdated on release, compromised in every way, zero new experiences, holds devs back.

The Series S is the equivalent to Sony releasing a console with 1/3 of the power of the PS4 in 2013 and half the storage, it's such a bad idea that it offends me.

When you factor things like the expensive storage expansion options and compare the Series S to the PS5 DE it becomes clear how shot it is.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Nintendo switch is that you?
The Switch is easily the best portable hardware Nintendo ever made.

The Seires S doesn't even have the excuse of being a portable. It makes no sense.
yes. I bet PlayStation motto is:

"How do we kill Xbox (hardware) this gen".
If that was true Xbox would be dead already.

PlayStation motto under Jimbo is:"How much can we sacrifice to increase short term profits and move on from consoles?"

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I don't think Xbox is failing because of Series S. Xbox is failing because they can't make games. The first party is so massive they don't even need 3rd party support, and they have nothing to show for it.

Reactions: Vlado_Millenium

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I thought it sounded like a good idea at launch too. Cheap hardware for people who dont care about visuals but what to get the "next gen" stuff. You would think they would have engineered it in a way where it could have just literally run the same stuff as XSX but at a lower res, but seems like they weren't that smart.

As a result, those of us who thought it could be a positive for MS were 100% wrong.

At this point I'm glad though. MS has turned up the gaming toxicity to 11 so them having any success at this point is basically a bad thing.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Screenshot_2023-08-02-00-50-50-79_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
The copium on this is hilarious, talking about 'way more demanding games released on series S' what games would those be ... Redfall ? 🤣 Also remember halo infinite not getting split screen co-op where were all the 'its so easy just scale down the graphical quality' armchair Devs then

16 Feb 2023
With the Series S it seems that they cut just a little too much on the memory. I was never as enthusiastic as Xbox on how many they would sell but I thought it would sell better than it has. Mostly as I though Xbox would make an effort to localise and make inroads in poorer areas parts of the world like India/China/Latam etc. A cheaper console certainly had potential I think it just needed better first party support in games for the first couple of years and some marketing
Series X I think is where their choices were really bad though. A high number of cores so it could be used in server blades for cloud (which they seems to be distancing themselves from already) which meant that the APU uses larger silicon. A split motherboard just to try and keep the the form factor smaller, vapor chamber cooling, the weird propriety memory sticks. Just some weird decisions all round.

Reactions: laynelane

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
microsoft unable to phase it out as well over half the Xbox units sold are the lesser series S.
Wait, what? Do we have a source on that?

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
lmao that's what they get for putting out a last gen spec console, they should have made a handheld instead of the series s