Xbox is in a very difficult hardware predicament

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
It does seemingly have a better cpu than the ps5 still. But if what’s around it restricts its ability to perform it doesn’t matter. And that’s what’s seemingly happening here. And that’s also why devs called the PS5 a masterpiece of console design.

Agree It does have a slightly better CPU but people were spinning that to say it is powerful enough.

Luffy123

Veteran
16 Jul 2023
Precisely, I'm sorry I didn't put it so concisely.

That is exactly the issue.

yep, their only strategy is basically try and kill this Gen off within the next 1-2 years. They can't keep the X and not the S because there are so many more S consoles out their then X consoles.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
It does seemingly have a better cpu than the ps5 still. But if what’s around it restricts its ability to perform it doesn’t matter. And that’s what’s seemingly happening here. And that’s also why devs called the PS5 a masterpiece of console design.
Agree It does have a slightly better CPU but people were spinning that to say it is powerful enough.
What is the advantage the Series S CPU has over the PS5? PS5 is even clocked higher, it's not like devs are disabling SMT. This sound a lot like second hand green rat narratives from 3 years ago.

Even the difference in CPU from the Series X to the PS5 seems ridiculously small to the point that any small difference in what the CPU is actually doing will make a lot more difference (different API, memory, different I/O architecture, etc).

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
The current record for Xbox dropping support for a console is 4 years. We could see the next-gen Xbox as early as 2024 (not likely) but more likely in 2025 or 2026, giving MS a 1 or 2-year advantage into the next generation.

Honestly, they have tried everything; releasing years before PS has been the only successful tactic for them.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Between PC hardware prices dropping sharply, Steam getting really fucking good, mid-gen Pro consoles, and the extremely slow start to the current gen, I'm not excited about buying any new console at launch.

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Between PC hardware prices dropping sharply, Steam getting really fucking good, mid-gen Pro consoles, and the extremely slow start to the current gen, I'm not excited about buying any new console at launch.
Pc gaming is still expensive for any normal user, also pc ports are on the shitter right now

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
The current record for Xbox dropping support for a console is 4 years. We could see the next-gen Xbox as early as 2024 (not likely) but more likely in 2025 or 2026, giving MS a 1 or 2-year advantage into the next generation.

Honestly, they have tried everything; releasing years before PS has been the only successful tactic for them.
today more than ever the Xbox Hardware feels like it could be the last one.

in fact, if that report is true (MS using Xbox hardware to make its cloud gaming infrastructure) that is MS showing where their priorities actually are.

And with MS's recent acquisitions, Sony has an imperative drive to "Kill Xbox" (hardware) if they don't try, they are risking a big loss in market share for the next gen.

I think if sony increases their aggressiveness (making even more Third Party Deals), price cuts and is able to deliver Zeitgeist games in all fronts (Single Player, GaaS) AND MS keeps stumbling with game development and management....is over for the Xbox hardware.

Reactions: Entropi

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Pc gaming is still expensive for any normal user, also pc ports are on the shitter right now
I kinda don't care about the normal user in this. The "normal user" is not necessarily a day-1 console owner either. Between Intel GPUs, Steam Deck and very attractive laptops (esp from ASUS and Lenovo), there are a lot of affordable ways to get into PC now.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
What is the advantage the Series S CPU has over the PS5? PS5 is even clocked higher, it's not like devs are disabling SMT. This sound a lot like second hand green rat narratives from 3 years ago.

Even the difference in CPU from the Series X to the PS5 seems ridiculously small to the point that any small difference in what the CPU is actually doing will make a lot more difference (different API, memory, different I/O architecture, etc).

Precisely. I assume that the PS5 performs at 3.5GHz with or without SMT, but even if we assume the 0.1GHz difference for the Series S, the amount of stuff the PS5 offloads to other hardware, freeing CPU resources, beats any tiny difference the Series S may have.

What Xbox did is actually stupid as shit, since a lot of CPU bound stuff (physics, etc) does not scale with resolution, but rather CPU, so having a slower CPU on the Series S actually impedes the big brother even further.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I know what they'll do. I got it.
More intensive games get an XB Gold banner or something denoting it'll only work on XBSX?

"We said most XB Series X games would run on Series S, we didn't say our new XB Gold lineup would play on Series S."... Something along those lines

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

3 years, one x came out in 2017

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I know what they'll do. I got it.
More intensive games get an XB Gold banner or something denoting it'll only work on XBSX?

"We said most XB Series X games would run on Series S, we didn't say our new XB Gold lineup would play on Series S."... Something along those lines
I remember when they were talking about moving away from the concept of generations when promoting the One X and soon after the Series S showed up.

MS completely misread the market as far as multiple SKUs go and mid gen refresh, what makes midgen upgrades interesting is how much the technology advances in 4 or so years allowing for stronger hardware at a good price.

Any knowledgeable gamer would've seen all the issues and implication that come alongside a compromised console like the Series S. MS knew it would be bad for their players and for the console market but they assumed it would sell a lot so they were willing to do it anyway.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
The PS2 outsold the 360 (and the PS3 as well for a while) until the PS3 outsold the 360 as well... Still it was a success in specific regions of the globe.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
The PS2 outsold the 360 (and the PS3 as well for a while) until the PS3 outsold the 360 as well... Still it was a success in specific regions of the globe.
Releasing before PlayStation was one factor among many other (most not even under MS control) that resulted in them being more competitive with the 360. They had their chance and wasted it away by releasing bad consoles with extremely poor software support for two decades.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023

That was never their strategy though. Xbox didn't launch ahead of PS3 on purpose, PS3 got delayed, was supposed to launch in 2005. Microsoft cut the OG Xbox life short to just 4 years so they could launch along side PS3 in 2005 accept PS3 ended up getting delayed.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
That was never their strategy, though. Xbox didn't launch ahead of PS3 on purpose, PS3 got delayed, was supposed to launch in 2005. Microsoft cut the OG Xbox life short to just 4 years so they could launch along side PS3 in 2005 accept PS3 ended up getting delayed.
It worked wonders for them, though.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Series S is clocked higher. 3.6 ghz vs 3.5. Thought they were nearly identical aside from that but your point about what’s around it being more important as a result is exactly right IMO. It’s basically the point I was making earlier.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Series S is clocked higher. 3.6 ghz vs 3.5. Thought they were nearly identical aside from that but your point about what’s around it being more important as a result is exactly right IMO. It’s basically the point I was making earlier.
It's only clocked higher if you disable SMT something no dev will do, not to mention that a difference of 100Mhz is absolutely negligible. I bet MS just did that to allow their shills to claim the Series S is faster to confuse people.

Looking at all these low clocks I hope the PS5 Pro shows up with a 5Ghz clock.

Reactions: Muddasar