Xbox is in a very difficult hardware predicament

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Thats Good Finding Nemo GIF

We all knew this the moment they announced that potato.

It literally gimped the XSX but we were all told it has a better CPU than the PS5.

Microsoft are double screwed now cause Sony can release a Pro version while Microsoft can’t even reply to it.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
In light of Remnant 2, I'm starting to believe the PS5 Pro will be a necessary boost to UE5 games. Honestly it might turn out to be more of a PS6 engine. But it seems like the Series S will be federally fucked if developers flock to it.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
End of hardware? Nope. Literally just dropped 77 billion on it to spend Sony out of business, with a mobile market middle finger to Apple/Google. Lost gen, Yes. Now it's all about the next gen set up. As for current gen - expect fire sales to push n carry.

It's not dead like the Wii U. Should have been if not for first wave COVID and PS5 shortages.

Reactions: nongkris

Red2Radio

13 Mar 2023
Germany
End of hardware? Nope. Literally just dropped 77 billion on it to spend Sony out of business, with a mobile market middle finger to Apple/Google. Lost gen, Yes. Now it's all about the next gen set up. As for current gen - expect fire sales to push n carry.

It's not dead like the Wii U. Should have been if not for first wave COVID and PS5 shortages.
Honest question, but do you seriously believe that? Because that same thing was said last gen. It's always either next year or next gen with Xbox and their fans still haven't caught up to the fact that this has been going on for a decade now. All of their ideas to gain new customers have failed them and were a short-term reaction without thinking of the long-term consequences.

GamePass is a dying business, their cloud streaming service makes you wait hours to play a game, Xbox in general has been losing steam in its two strongest markets and has been irrelevant in the rest of the world since the second half of the 360 era. Whatever you see, only Xbox fans see. The reality is a completely different thing and I think it wouldn't hurt you to check out what is actually happening for once. Shareholders eventually want to see some gains, Phil hasn't and will never deliver. And I bet you before the shareholders come for Nutellas head, he'll rather cut off Phil - and with that Xbox, at least as a console platform, from the equation. They'd be okay as a third party publisher, but they suck at being a platform holder - see UWP, Windows Phone, the entire Surface lineup, etc.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I like(d) my Surface Pro and Surface Duo, but goddam do I wish it wasn't MS making them.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

Yep MS isn't doing its largest acquisition in the history of the company for a division they're going to shutter. Xbox hardware will live on, even if it becomes a mostly xcloud streaming box next gen. they can't give up the 30% cut they make from their store. They will probably want to work on making the boxes profitable next gen though.

Luffy123

Veteran
16 Jul 2023

DF discussion on PS5 Pro, which I think will put Xbox in a very difficult position.

Xbox can’t just release a new Pro console either because then they have to produce games for 3 different consoles of different specs. People aren’t realising how absolutely fucked they are in the hardware space atm

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Xbox can’t just release a new Pro console either because then they have to produce games for 3 different consoles of different specs. People aren’t realising how absolutely fucked they are in the hardware space atm
I think they could point back to comments of next gen really starts a few years in, or position the series s as BC/gp focused, and just jump start the gen with "Xbox XS"

Reactions: Luffy123
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Precisely, I'm sorry I didn't put it so concisely.

That is exactly the issue.

Reactions: flaccidsnake

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Honest question, but do you seriously believe that? Because that same thing was said last gen. It's always either next year or next gen with Xbox and their fans still haven't caught up to the fact that this has been going on for a decade now. All of their ideas to gain new customers have failed them and were a short-term reaction without thinking of the long-term consequences.

GamePass is a dying business, their cloud streaming service makes you wait hours to play a game, Xbox in general has been losing steam in its two strongest markets and has been irrelevant in the rest of the world since the second half of the 360 era. Whatever you see, only Xbox fans see. The reality is a completely different thing and I think it wouldn't hurt you to check out what is actually happening for once. Shareholders eventually want to see some gains, Phil hasn't and will never deliver. And I bet you before the shareholders come for Nutellas head, he'll rather cut off Phil - and with that Xbox, at least as a console platform, from the equation. They'd be okay as a third party publisher, but they suck at being a platform holder - see UWP, Windows Phone, the entire Surface lineup, etc.

Well said. And I agree especially about shareholders wanting to see some gains. To me, MS has just wrongly predicted the market. They released the S and expected people to flock to this lower-priced console. That didn't happen. They have gone all in on a subscription service which is stagnating and has been for some time. The same could be said for cloud gaming. Neither are catching on. Even with the ABK acquisition, they initially expected no regulator push back. It's just been a constant stream of bad decisions and market predictions - and their market share, sub rates, and console sales reflect that.

There are still people saying they're playing the "long game", but I don't see it. They're just fucking up and they've been doing it for years now. And now that they've invested so much money into these failing strategies, there's going to come a time when they need to have something to show for it. I suspect 'next gen things will improve' isn't going to cut it with shareholders and the upper echelon of executives at MS.

Reactions: Red2Radio

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
I really dont like Xbox's hardware inconsistency, the only good hardware was OG Xbox. The 360 had rrod and a harddriveless version everyone called the Xbox Tard Pack. The base Xbox 1 got a cpu bump which meant hard core gamers that wanted the best base console hardware had to shell out again for the Xbox 1S. And current gen those idiots holding back the entire gen with a 4tf console. You can't make this shit up.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Thats Good Finding Nemo GIF

We all knew this the moment they announced that potato.

It literally gimped the XSX but we were all told it has a better CPU than the PS5.

Microsoft are double screwed now cause Sony can release a Pro version while Microsoft can’t even reply to it.
It does seemingly have a better cpu than the ps5 still. But if what’s around it restricts its ability to perform it doesn’t matter. And that’s what’s seemingly happening here. And that’s also why devs called the PS5 a masterpiece of console design.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
There are still people saying they're playing the "long game", but I don't see it. They're just fucking up and they've been doing it for years now. And now that they've invested so much money into these failing strategies, there's going to come a time when they need to have something to show for it. I suspect 'next gen things will improve' isn't going to cut it with shareholders and the upper echelon of executives at MS.
Winning the long game imply that they are making a bunch of apparently small wins, people are taking notice and the buzz around the brand is genuine (it translates in growing sales/revenue).

Now, they have bought over 25 studios (last time I saw a number that was 25)... since 2018 and lately their revenue (not even profit) are down, when it should be up just from having more revenue streams for all the games that are now under their umbrella.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
The answer is simple, kill the S. And if they replace its "dev slot" with a Pro version then maybe that can brute force the performance issues they've been having on X. The downside: they lose even more money doing all that stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luffy123

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
The answer is simple, kill the S. And if they replave its "dev slot" with a Pro version then maybe that can brute force the performance issues they've been having on X. The downside: they lose even more money doing all that stuff.
There are more S than X so good luck with that.

It gonna be lit

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
There are more S than X so good luck with that.

It gonna be lit
I still want a source on that. Who would voluntarily buy the shit version with no disc drive if given a choice? And didn't the dye account for more X production?