Xbox is on track to knock Sony PlayStation down to third place for the first time in history

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
Oh wow, that is so pathetic of him.

New lows all the time.
Nick Jonas Wow GIF by Jonas Brothers

Nathandw9

9 Sep 2023
I like how jez doesn’t add anything journalistic wise to the graph shown, instead a clickbaity headline which isn’t true. It’s like they skew everything to try and create a narrative which isn’t there. This quarter alone Sony brought in $6.6 billion, this graph tells me this is removing all hardware revenue, something jez conveniently confuses with his headline. ‘Sony PlayStation’ as jez puts it, is tracking to have a $28 billion fiscal year. Microsoft would be $16 billion and then roughly ~$8 billion activision/blizz if it was a full year. He even puts in his article that Microsoft is forecasting a 50% increase next quarter with the inclusion of activ/bliz, one bit of journalism would have shown that still isn’t near what PlayStation would make next quarter.
What’s even more funny is how Microsoft used newzoo when acquiring activ/bliz to show that Sony would still be ahead even before Sonys bigger forecast and growth. That included hardware revenue. But now since the deal is closed the metrics which newzoo made are now changing to try and build a narrative. Very convenient and not suspicious at all 😂

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
I like how jez doesn’t add anything journalistic wise to the graph shown, instead a clickbaity headline which isn’t true. It’s like they skew everything to try and create a narrative which isn’t there. This quarter alone Sony brought in $6.6 billion, this graph tells me this is removing all hardware revenue, something jez conveniently confuses with his headline. ‘Sony PlayStation’ as jez puts it, is tracking to have a $28 billion fiscal year. Microsoft would be $16 billion and then roughly ~$8 billion activision/blizz if it was a full year. He even puts in his article that Microsoft is forecasting a 50% increase next quarter with the inclusion of activ/bliz, one bit of journalism would have shown that still isn’t near what PlayStation would make next quarter.
that's literally all he ever does, piggyback off of others work with zero real journalism, just fanboy drivel. And he says the same thing five different ways just to make the article longer

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
What’s even more funny is how Microsoft used newzoo when acquiring activ/bliz to show that Sony would still be ahead even before Sonys bigger forecast and growth. That included hardware revenue. But now since the deal is closed the metrics which newzoo made are now changing to try and build a narrative. Very convenient and not suspicious at all 😂

Microsoft are masters of changing metrics and trying to spin the narratives.

They switch from one metric to another, like someone changes clothes and I find it bizarre that no investors call them out.

At one point gamepass subs was all that mattered, until they were not growing enough and then it turned to engagement. It's all so unreliable, can't believe anything they say.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Oh man, Microsoft made more revenue than Sony? Guess I’ll trade my ps5.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
I am surprised so Many people here were thinking that Microsoft was just going to give up after buying acti-blizz. The profit surge aren’t surprising in the slightest.

Nathandw9

9 Sep 2023
Microsoft are masters of changing metrics and trying to spin the narratives.

They switch from one metric to another, like someone changes clothes and I find it bizarre that no investors call them out.

At one point gamepass subs was all that mattered, until they were not growing enough and then it turned to engagement. It's all so unreliable, can't believe anything they say.
It just annoys me how all the supposed ‘analysts’ on Twitter act blind to the actual data. They continue to eat Microsoft’s spin and credit Microsoft’s vision and success when the reality is the growth of Xbox is purely down to huge acquisition fees. Microsoft’s actual vision of series s, cloud, gamepass and etc have been completely proven wrong by Sony this generation, feels like analysts who doubted Sony early this gen and projected 360 sales for Xbox are still trying to avoid themselves been held accountable for being very wrong.

The only actual momentum for the brand and growth is at PlayStation, Xbox is declining pretty badly even with inflated revenues due to acquisition. It’s actually so embarrassing for xbox to post results like they do in npd when they bought two of the biggest North American publishers and they are in decline while their direct competitor is taking huge market share in America 🤣

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
With combined Activision and Xbox revenues, Sony PlayStation may be looking at a third-place spot behind Microsoft for the first time.

https://www.windowscentral.com/gami...-to-third-place-for-the-first-time-in-history

Well, this Q3 with monster sales of PS5 and games like Spider-Man 2 pretty likely MS will go back to 3rd position.

We also have to remember that as soon as ABK games start to land on GP -specially day one for the new games- the ABK revenue will drop. And well, if some game end being console exclusive their revenue will drop even more.

‪If anything wouldn’t this help Sony justify a publisher acquisition of their own to regulators? If they’re third then there is no reason to deny anything. ‬
Well both MS+ABK and Sony now will make around $25B/year aprox, but the market is >180B.

Meaning, both only have a market share of under 15% and even aren't market leaders in the global gamin market. So market regulators pretty likely wouldn't do anything about it.

But well, if the EU regulator sees that Sony beats MS in the high end console market with a 80%-20% or 90%-10% in EU market share then they may say that a big acquisition on Sony's side could be too abusive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diah