Xbox podcasters discuss the inevitable end of Xbox hardware (next 5 years) - Defining Duke

24 Jun 2022
Been saying for a while now: their best option would be to turn Xbox into Windows gaming-centric consolized PC NUCs and laptop-like devices. And they offer two UI environments, a console-like one Xbox gamers today are used to, and a mode that switches to the Windows desktop environment, activating/deactivating OS utilities and processes as needed.

It solves so many of Microsoft's problems in terms of perception in the console market, and production volume scaling/logistics/profit margins on hardware, plus lets them fully commit to publishing their games everywhere and selling the systems with much bigger profit margins out of the box. Plus an excuse to iterate on model refreshes every two years (in some cases like with laptop-style devices they wouldn't even need to make huge jumps in performance of every area), making use of the All-Access program more fully.

But it'd require a complete change of the business model for them and a lot of Xbox console zealots don't like the sound of that. But in time, I think more will accept the idea as a possible reality. If the 2026 'Xbox Next' rumors hold any weight, IMO this approach is kind of the only way they can really add a differentiation factor that plays to their strengths and doesn't get them directly outpaced in comparisons with Sony a couple years later.

Also each of the Big 3 would finally, truly be doing their own thing, and that'd be a positive overall for the industry.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Been saying for a while now: their best option would be to turn Xbox into Windows gaming-centric consolized PC NUCs and laptop-like devices. And they offer two UI environments, a console-like one Xbox gamers today are used to, and a mode that switches to the Windows desktop environment, activating/deactivating OS utilities and processes as needed.

It solves so many of Microsoft's problems in terms of perception in the console market, and production volume scaling/logistics/profit margins on hardware, plus lets them fully commit to publishing their games everywhere and selling the systems with much bigger profit margins out of the box. Plus an excuse to iterate on model refreshes every two years (in some cases like with laptop-style devices they wouldn't even need to make huge jumps in performance of every area), making use of the All-Access program more fully.

But it'd require a complete change of the business model for them and a lot of Xbox console zealots don't like the sound of that. But in time, I think more will accept the idea as a possible reality. If the 2026 'Xbox Next' rumors hold any weight, IMO this approach is kind of the only way they can really add a differentiation factor that plays to their strengths and doesn't get them directly outpaced in comparisons with Sony a couple years later.

Also each of the Big 3 would finally, truly be doing their own thing, and that'd be a positive overall for the industry.
Steam's big picture is over 10 years old and this point.

MS hasn't figured out how to make a basic storefront on PC or even a decent UI for regular Windows without a mouse, they are just way behind on everything when it comes to PC gaming.

24 Jun 2022
Steam's big picture is over 10 years old and this point.

MS hasn't figured out how to make a basic storefront on PC or even a decent UI for regular Windows without a mouse, they are just way behind on everything when it comes to PC gaming.

Yeah, and that's their fault. But if they want to lock PC gamers in to Windows for the long-term, using Xbox to do that would be their best bet. In that sense it doesn't matter so much what Valve wants to do in shifting those users away from Windows, if Microsoft are making better console-like gaming PC hardware devices than Valve, can be more competitive on pricing for equivalent device types, and manufacture at larger scale.

Ironically, it'd be Microsoft's hardware strengths that'd give them the advantage in that landscape, not their OS UI or storefront ones (the latter of which monumentally sucks compared to Steam and even most way smaller storefronts on PC for gaming).

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
Just gotta say that seeing Cognito grimace when Matty says "there won't be a box" is just -chef's kiss-

Couldn't happen to a more deserving and delusional fanbase. They'll still be "holding the line" even after Microsoft has shut down the Xbox division.
Agreed. I can’t stand cognito. He will hype up games but then will admit to never playing them if they arent in gamepass. He hyped up persona 5r going to xbox and gamepass, saying finally he can play it, only in a later episode to admit hes not playing it and JRPGS arent for him

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Agreed. I can’t stand cognito. He will hype up games but then will admit to never playing them if they arent in gamepass. He hyped up persona 5r going to xbox and gamepass, saying finally he can play it, only in a later episode to admit hes not playing it and JRPGS arent for him
dude is a major fraud. matty is just a fanboy, at least he plays games

Reactions: Shadow2027

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Yep. I stand by theory still. There won't be another Xbox.

They have just canceled the refresh, and people are thinking that's because they are launching their next-gen earlier. I think they have just canceled the refresh because they are not doing hardware anymore.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
The chance of there being another Xbox is very slim. They're already selling terribly and once PS5 Pro, Switch 2, and GTA 6 PS5 bundles release, it'll be a bloodbath.
Personally feel like Xbox may stick around in the console market out of spite just to harass us, but this podcast has implied before that they say things in their podcast ahead of time in order to prep the Xbox fanbase for bad news.
Idk, they're already losing billions on hardware, I don't think shareholders will appreciate them losing even more for another 7 years when they can just put their games on PlayStation and Nintendo and make way more. Maybe worst case scenario they release a weak console they don't lose money on, like a Switch but with a focus on cloud gaming.

BUT Phil getting fired could change all that....

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
little mermaid goodbye GIF

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The chance of there being another Xbox is very slim. They're already selling terribly and once PS5 Pro, Switch 2, and GTA 6 PS5 bundles release, it'll be a bloodbath.

Idk, they're already losing billions on hardware, I don't think shareholders will appreciate them losing even more for another 7 years when they can just put their games on PlayStation and Nintendo and make way more. Maybe worst case scenario they release a weak console they don't lose money on, like a Switch but with a focus on cloud gaming.

BUT Phil getting fired could change all that....
i wonder why microsoft doesn't understand that firing phil is the only way for them to be able to move forward in gaming, his ideas are trash

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
i wonder why microsoft doesn't understand that firing phil is the only way for them to be able to move forward in gaming, his ideas are trash
Sony needs PlayStation for their bottom line, Xbox's operations are insignificant to Microsoft as a whole. Nothing they do really moves the needle, so they don't pay much attention to him. The CEO, CFO, and board have roasted him for being overly confident and incompetent. In the email, his dumbass said "I know I shouldn't but I can't help myself" 🤣 Satya didn't even know if the Xbox's price was revealed or not. If they did know how bad Xbox was doing, they never would've gave the clown 80b dollars for pointless acquisitions, but I'm glad those acquisitions happened cuz it only sped up the death of the console.

This email has aged so well 🤣

phil-spencer-on-ps5-1695125089636.jpg

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Sony needs PlayStation for their bottom line, Xbox's operations are insignificant to Microsoft as a whole. Nothing they do really moves the needle, so they don't pay much attention to him. The CEO, CFO, and board have roasted him for being overly confident and incompetent. In the email, his dumbass said "I know I shouldn't but I can't help myself" 🤣 Satya didn't even know if the Xbox's price was revealed or not. If they did know how bad Xbox was doing, they never would've gave the clown 80b dollars for pointless acquisitions, but I'm glad those acquisitions happened cuz it only sped up the death of the console.

He's still costing them billions of dollars, capitalists hate losing any money at all which is why they're always trying to squeeze workers, renters, the taxpayers, etc etc etc. Maybe the easiest explanation is their board is incompetent and fat/lazy off the success of Azure and Windows/the other segments that are actually making a ton of money

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023

How do you know the higher ups roasting him? Where did you read that?

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Turn it into the Bro Box like the 360 was. An unapologetic toy for boys. Testosterone driven, tobacco chewing focus without the fruity agenda. This is the only point of difference that would matter. But we all know it’s pure fantasy at this point.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
He's still costing them billions of dollars, capitalists hate losing any money at all which is why they're always trying to squeeze workers, renters, the taxpayers, etc etc etc. Maybe the easiest explanation is their board is incompetent and fat/lazy off the success of Azure and Windows/the other segments that are actually making a ton of money
Yeah that was my point, what Xbox loses or makes is a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of Microsoft. Thats why they don't care, but after spending 80b dollars, Phil has no more safety net, all eyes are on Xbox.
How do you know the higher ups roasting him? Where did you read that?
It's implied in the email. "I felt the feedback from BoD (board of directors) discussion on being too confident and maybe this will just reinforce that perception, I get the need to be humbly confident but today was a good day for us."

Reading between the lines: The board told him he was too cocky for how trash of a job he does, and that he needs to pipe down til he gets some real results.