Xbox podcasters discuss the inevitable end of Xbox hardware (next 5 years) - Defining Duke

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Yeah that was my point, what Xbox loses or makes is a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of Microsoft. Thats why they don't care, but after spending 80b dollars, Phil has no more safety net, all eyes are on Xbox.

It's implied in the email. "I felt the feedback from BoD (board of directors) discussion on being too confident and maybe this will just reinforce that perception, I get the need to be humbly confident but today was a good day for us."

Reading between the lines: The board told him he was too cocky for how trash of a job he does, and that he needs to pipe down til he gets some real results.
That went over my head. I only focused on the yellow. Lol Even the BOD is tired of Phil’s overly confident, overly optimistic happy go lucky shit. Lol What’s funny about that email is that proved the board right, because everything he said was wrong again.

Reactions: JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
That went over my head. I only focused on the yellow. Lol Even the BOD is tired of Phil’s overly confident, overly optimistic happy go lucky shit. Lol What’s funny about that email is that proved the board right, because everything he said was wrong again.
Yep fast forward 3.5 years from when that email was sent, and now Xbox is getting outsold 3-1, GamePass has stagnated, and Xbox had to drop their console price to $350 to be competitive. He was so excited about having the better console and now suddenly "consoles don't matter, they're only a small piece of Xbox's strategy" 😂

It's gotten so bad that if Microsoft even thinks of bringing the Series X price back up to $500, it'll be over for them. But they lose a ton of money on every Series X sold at $350, so it's a lose lose situation....At that point, better to have no console and just piggyback off of Sony and Nintendo's install base 😎

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Microsoft is extremely lucky that PC makers are doing the hardware job for them. They can simply make games optimized for target platforms, like Phoenix / Hawk Point on mobile and RX 6700XT on desktop/laptop, and let people buy the hardware they want. Anything over that just scales in quality/features and call it a day.

Of course, what this also means is that Microsoft needs to become a competent software developer of gaming-focused front-end UIs for windows devices. Which they are not, nor will be if they keep someone as inadequate as Phil Spencer to run software development studios.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Yep fast forward 3.5 years from when that email was sent, and now Xbox is getting outsold 3-1, GamePass has stagnated, and Xbox had to drop their console price to $350 to be competitive. He was so excited about having the better console and now suddenly "consoles don't matter, they're only a small piece of Xbox's strategy" 😂

It's gotten so bad that if Microsoft even thinks of bringing the Series X price back up to $500, it'll be over for them. But they lose a ton of money on every Series X sold at $350, so it's a lose lose situation....At that point, better to have no console and just piggyback off of Sony and Nintendo's install base 😎
Yup. “Consoles don’t matter” because they know for them it’s a dead argument. They only like to brag about it when it’s convenient for them. Like this for example.

• they're_right_you_know

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Sony needs PlayStation for their bottom line, Xbox's operations are insignificant to Microsoft as a whole. Nothing they do really moves the needle, so they don't pay much attention to him. The CEO, CFO, and board have roasted him for being overly confident and incompetent. In the email, his dumbass said "I know I shouldn't but I can't help myself" 🤣 Satya didn't even know if the Xbox's price was revealed or not. If they did know how bad Xbox was doing, they never would've gave the clown 80b dollars for pointless acquisitions, but I'm glad those acquisitions happened cuz it only sped up the death of the console.

This email has aged so well 🤣

phil-spencer-on-ps5-1695125089636.jpg
Phil Spencer sucks and is the main reason why Xbox has sucked so much for so long. It goes all the way back to how he mismanaged Rare and Lionhead, in 2009 when he was put in charge of Xbox Studios he did long time permanent damage that nearly wiped them out, now he has been the main boss for nearly a decade and Xbox has never been any worse than what it is now.

Also failed to consistently show any sort of superiority when it came to hardware, getting completely outclassed on stuff like gamepad, VR, peripherals, current gen only games, etc.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sony needs PlayStation for their bottom line, Xbox's operations are insignificant to Microsoft as a whole. Nothing they do really moves the needle, so they don't pay much attention to him. The CEO, CFO, and board have roasted him for being overly confident and incompetent. In the email, his dumbass said "I know I shouldn't but I can't help myself" 🤣 Satya didn't even know if the Xbox's price was revealed or not. If they did know how bad Xbox was doing, they never would've gave the clown 80b dollars for pointless acquisitions, but I'm glad those acquisitions happened cuz it only sped up the death of the console.

This email has aged so well 🤣

phil-spencer-on-ps5-1695125089636.jpg
I think there are 2 important points on this mail that people normally ignored:
  • The MS Board of Directors told Phil/Xbox top staff that they were being too confident around the PS5 afterannouncement
  • The MS Board/Satya Nutella have hard discussions with Phil about pricing, profit and losses, investments, etc BEFORE this generation started and they went to acquire Zenimax, ABK and so on.
If this was the case in 2019 imagine now after having spend all these dozens of millions on acquisitions while seeing Xbox losing market share and Gamepass getting stuck and not growing anymore plus games like Redfall and Starfield underperforming.

Phil must be having a hard time right now.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Turn it into the Bro Box like the 360 was. An unapologetic toy for boys. Testosterone driven, tobacco chewing focus without the fruity agenda. This is the only point of difference that would matter. But we all know it’s pure fantasy at this point.
Agreed. And they should hire Andrew Tate to market it to all those red pill sigma males out there.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Where are they selling it at $350 almost all sites I see it's at $400.00 including Amazon. I only see it at $350 for curbside pickup at Walmart and I bet thts limited time.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Incredible rare form of discussion coming from Defining Duke, these guys are basically just nutting each other and Xbox weekly. Cog is bottom of the barrel warrior too.

Welcome the forum bro.

I am really glad other people are talking about the fact defining duke sounds like a fanboy podcast most of the time, with Cog just wanting Microsoft to buy basically anything and everything they can.

It's not on the same level of discussion as Sacred Symbols.

But at least Matty is bringing some reality to the table, I can see Cog doesn't like having to sit there and hear it though.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
it was $350 for an entire month at Walmart, and $350 on and off at a few other retailers for weeks. There was a thread about it
OH I know for the holidays but reading into the comments it seems ppl think it stayed at $350 but overall it has not. It's around $400 generally which is still cheaper.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Steam's big picture is over 10 years old and this point.

MS hasn't figured out how to make a basic storefront on PC or even a decent UI for regular Windows without a mouse, they are just way behind on everything when it comes to PC gaming.
Windows XP had a media center interface to use with the remote back in the days. It might have been good if they had developed this option overtime (make sure that the store and installers can run from this).

This is just to say that they had opportunities to merge Xbox/PC gaming in the past and they could not see it as an organization when it made sense.

Their best hope to not lose too much money on their studios is to let them build games and hope they recoup that as third party publishers do.

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
OH I know for the holidays but reading into the comments it seems ppl think it stayed at $350 but overall it has not. It's around $400 generally which is still cheaper.
$400 still isn't enough, even at $350 it still was outsold badly, people would rather spend a bit extra to get the digital PS5. It needs to be $299 for the X and $99 for the S to be in consideration for most consumers, it's just that undesirable.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
$400 still isn't enough, even at $350 it still was outsold badly, people would rather spend a bit extra to get the digital PS5. It needs to be $299 for the X and $99 for the S to be in consideration for most consumers, it's just that undesirable.
LOL Jah you know I know. Ppl don't really want the X and it has to be as cheap as possible for them to even stay afloat, fuck competing because tht just isn't possible at this point.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I think there will be one more traditional Xbox. It might even be a little exotic with ARM CPU and Nvidia GPU like the leaks outlined. But that will flop. After that, there could be PCs with an gaming frontend, or Xbox just becomes a multiplat publisher + Game Pass.

Reactions: Bryank75

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Windows XP had a media center interface to use with the remote back in the days. It might have been good if they had developed this option overtime (make sure that the store and installers can run from this).

This is just to say that they had opportunities to merge Xbox/PC gaming in the past and they could not see it as an organization when it made sense.

Their best hope to not lose too much money on their studios is to let them build games and hope they recoup that as third party publishers do.
Xbox becomes an even bigger failure when you consider the opportunity cost for MS of focusing so much on it instead of PC gaming. Good.