Xbox says the VR market is currently too small for it to chase

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
PlayStation-VR-d-768x475.jpeg

The head of Xbox Game Studios has said the VR and AR market is currently too small for the platform holder to get involved in.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Matt Booty suggested Xbox games need to reach around 10 million players to be successful.

“I think for us, it’s just a bit of wait until there’s an audience there,” he said. “We’re very fortunate that we have got these big IPs that have turned into ongoing franchises with big communities.

“We have 10 games that have achieved over 10 million players life-to-date, which is a pretty big accomplishment, but that’s the kind of scale that we need to see success for the game and it’s just, it’s not quite there yet with AR, VR.”

Helios

Coolios
11 Jun 2023
I have a quest 2 and use inserts inside it so i don't have to wear glasses.
It's a known thing that vr doesn't fit well with myopic vision and xbox's vision for their brand can also be described as that: myopic

Forget VR they don't even know what will become of the series s when the mid gen refreshes hit, are they still going to make a clause of parity and force devs to build for 3 consoles?

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
VR market is currently as big, if not bigger, than the Cloud gaming market that Xbox has pivoted its entire business model to lol.

Also, if it's so small, why was Phil Spencer promising VR compatibility with Xbox One X back in 2016?

P

peter42O

Awesome. Hoping Microsoft stays away from VR for as long as im gaming. 😂

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
They'll just wait until it's larger and then buy up the major players.
That appears to be their M.O. now wait until they're too far behind then act like they didn't know things were going to grow to make themselves look little help to push their purchases through.

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
They re deprieved of any inovation. All they can do s copy some1 else. If it becomes bigger they ll buy someone1with vr.

Garbage company.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KickNamesTakeAss

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
If they were honest when they say they wanted to grow the gaming market without taking market share away from their competitors, they would support new ways to play and innovate.

But of course they're full of shit.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
I'm pretty sure your opinion will change the second they jump on the bandwagon. The Scorpio bullshit presention you were clapping for sure

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This doesn't make sense to me. VR/AR would be purely additive.

Yet moves like the Bethesda and ABK acquisition are purely subtractive.

Are you cheering for the acquisitions while saying you don't want an entirely optional choice that a bunch of players want that would actually grow the Xbox ecosystem?

Think about what you're saying here and what that actually means.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Everyone that like VR also want MS away from it. Win, win.

Too bad that is not how they feel about gaming in general since the world would be a better place if MS just went away.

Reactions: SLB1904