Xbox Series S 50% Off Via Verizon ($149.99 AGGRESSIVE Promo)

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
It's funny that at the beginning of the generation MS went with the smartphone strategy for its hardware. A weaker and a pro model at launch, an all access program that allowed you do to do monthly installments, and now this promo. Nothing seems to be paying off. Gamepass hasnt gotten a subscriber count update in what feels like over a year, so the numbers and churn are probably abysmal.

OP
OP
thicc_girls_are_teh_best
24 Jun 2022
It's funny that at the beginning of the generation MS went with the smartphone strategy for its hardware. A weaker and a pro model at launch, an all access program that allowed you do to do monthly installments, and now this promo. Nothing seems to be paying off. Gamepass hasnt gotten a subscriber count update in what feels like over a year, so the numbers and churn are probably abysmal.

In Game Pass's case I would be even more concerned about the total likely revenue. I doubt it's as high as some people want to think it is.

Like you said, they tried the smartphone strategy, and they wanted Game Pass to be the service, Microsoft the carrier. But they forgot to have their big compelling content lined up for that service in a reasonable span of time.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
In Game Pass's case I would be even more concerned about the total likely revenue. I doubt it's as high as some people want to think it is.

Like you said, they tried the smartphone strategy, and they wanted Game Pass to be the service, Microsoft the carrier. But they forgot to have their big compelling content lined up for that service in a reasonable span of time.
They also thought that the iPhone SE (Series S) would be the main draw vs the iPhone Max (Series X), which looks like a misfire.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Well, I won't contest that. Again for $150 it's a really good deal.

Of course none of this is the purpose of Series S in terms of the market, but it's good that it can have alternative uses that might make it more appealing for a smaller niche interested in emulation. Heck if this deal weren't walled behind Verizon and maybe shaved another $25 I'd impulse buy a Series S myself just for having another emulation machine.

Speaking about alternative uses, I've seen more expensive doorstops.

D

Deleted member 417

which do they discontinue first, S or X? S seems to be the more desirable unit...
S and upgrade, X and redesign under the guise of a 'digital' X.

Most xbox fanboys didn't realise that the 1x was almost an entirely new console under the hood. I had many arguments on GAF when I bought one in 2018 about how the X isn't the same as the Ps4Pro.

Xbox could release a 24tf machine and the only way the fans would know is if MS told them. They could release a 2tf machine and the 'fans' would be none the wiser.

D

Deleted member 417

It’s a shit deal for them, as it totally precludes the buying of used games due to the lack of an optical drive!
I never thought about that but you're right. The message is "Here's a cheap console because you are poor and can't afford one at normal price. Now go buy another device to play your Dvds and Blu ray on, because you are poor and you will be nickel and dimed"