Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S price increase announced for Japan

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Microsoft has announced a 5,000 yen price increase for the manufacturer suggested retail price of Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S consoles in Japan, which will go into effect beginning February 17.

[Xbox Series X | S domestic new price] *From February 17, 2023

• Xbox Series X body: 59978 yen [tax included]
  • Xbox Series S body: 37978 yen [tax included]

24 Jun 2022
Yeah, this console is dead in Japan now. Though it was already drying up dramatically in sales for months now.

I get the feeling the price will increase in as many non-US/UK markets as Microsoft can muster, and they will avoid everything possible to increase the price in their two strongest markets. Get ready for lots of bundles over the next few months!!

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I can remember when Xbox folks where saying that Xbox will take over Japan. I love how it always backfires at them. xD
Jeff Grubb seems to be shocked too. 😜

• haha
Reactions: toadsage44

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
risitas-main.gif

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
They don't sell enough in Japan to justify the bad press. Unless they are hoping that Starfield will sell consoles in Japan and want to lessen the loss per console while keeping the price increase and Starfield separate arguments.

That's me trying to add logic to the decision.

Also price increase across the board (pull the band aid off) and have a short bad news cycle instead of regular trickles of bad news.

OP
OP
Gediminas

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
They don't sell enough in Japan to justify the bad press. Unless they are hoping that Starfield will sell consoles in Japan and want to lessen the loss per console while keeping the price increase and Starfield separate arguments.

That's me trying to add logic to the decision.

Also price increase across the board (pull the band aid off) and have a short bad news cycle instead of regular trickles of bad news.
FUD incoming.. we got some already with activision employee crying over tlou series to ftc, more to come.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
the fact that they stay in japan solely to occupy shelf space is still baffling. No one wants an Xbox in Japan and they never have. 20 plus years of being completely undesirable.

any other company would have pulled out by now.

oh, and that's nearly a $100 increase because in September 2020, MS reduced the Series S before launch in Japan from ¥32,980 to ¥29,980. Now it's up to ¥37,978.

after their recent financial report, they've probably been forced to raise prices after losing so much on the recent low price firesales.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It will increase in most places where the currencies are fucked up compared to the dollar.
Every place outside US.
And US price rise is not out of option for both Sony or MS imo.

It is not just about currency exchanges... it is about material costs.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Found that on ERA... so true.
The guy shift PR claims in matter of days lol

Phil Spencer on September 16th 2022:

"I can definitely say we have no plans today to raise price of our consoles,". "We think in a time when our customers are more economically challenged and uncertain than ever, we don't think it's the right move for us at this point to be raising prices on our console."

Phil Spencer on October 26th 2022:

"I do think at some point we'll have to raise the prices on certain things, but going into this holiday we thought it was important to maintain the prices."

"We've held price on our console, we've held price on games… and our subscription. I don't think we'll be able to do that forever. I do think at some point we'll have to raise some prices on certain things…"

Phil Spencer on February 2022:

???

In another news the price in India increased again in early January.

Reactions: toadsage44

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
what an insult to japanese consumers, right when the yen is doing rather poorly, too.

they were just giving $50 rebate coupons away with the series S, too.

Series S is just really undesirable. everyone knows it's a gimped sub-system.