Xbox wants Starfield to have the 12-year staying power of Skyrim

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
starfield-popular-like-skyrim-580x334.jpg

Xbox and Bethesda want Starfield to be the longstanding hit Skyrim has been, but right now I’m unsure if they can pull it off. Well, head of Xbox Phil Spencer says as much at CCXP 2023, comparing the longevity of Skyrim to the plans Bethesda currently has for Starfield.

That’s our goal,” Spencer begins. “Skyrim is such an amazing hit from Bethesda Game Studios, and talking to Todd Howard and the team what they wanted to do as people who love space and space exploration is give them that same opportunity [as Skyrim].

“So we’ve already announced that we’ve got our next expansion coming, Shattered Space. We’ve already told the community that they’ll get all the modules that they need, so they can go and create their own content in Starfield, which has been so important to Skyrim. So a tonne of confidence that for many, many years, Starfield sitting very high in the gameplay.”

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I have hope that they will, Helen Keller-like, suddenly remember how to spell waterRPG and return to making good singleplayer narrative, exploration experiences but I doubt it.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
They died in my eyes when M$ bought them, so I couldn't care less if they're still here 12 years from now
I feel this for sure, but I'm not ready to say that Bethesda, ID, Machine Games, Arkane, etc are all dead studios just because MS bought them (and 2 of them put out underwhelming flops since). I can still play these games on PC anyway, and I'd rather have more great games than dead studios.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Starfield Special Edition
Starfield Anniversary Edition
Starfield Legendary Edition
Starfield Ultimate Edition
Starfield No-loading Screen Edition
Starfield Director's Cut
Starfield Remaster
Starfield Remake