Xbox’s Spencer Sees Progress Toward Activision Deal Approval, says he expects that console exclusives are something "we're just going to see less"

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
made exclusively for one device “is something we’re just going to see less and less of.”

He is talking about exclusives, that don't come to PC/another device.

@Bryank75 you guys really should correct misleading thread titles/threads like this one.. don't be like NeoGAF where the mods are too lazy to do anything but ban people and so you get 10 page threads based on lies.

I mean all he's saying is just.. reality.. with Sony making less exclusives for just one device.. duh.

Absolutely meaningless quote from Spencer that triggers Sony fanboys again.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Good guy Phil, being consumer friendly as always. This is the way forward.

If that's how you want to interpret it, okay I guess.

Personally, it reads like a cop-out. Also reads like an extension of MS'ss efforts to embed themselves in other company's ecosystems as much as possible, to access the customers other companies have worked to cultivate over years of consistent quality and built-up goodwill.

Consistent quality and goodwill that MS couldn't build themselves within their own ecosystem with their own customer base, by and large. Which they are trying to rectify now, given the acquisitions and strong GamePass push, but they probably realized that relying on the Xbox consoles and audience alone would be insufficient for that turnaround, hence a push that while it may include stuff from companies like Apple and Google to some extent, is probably eying the cultivated customer base of PlayStation and Nintendo as the prize to spread out into.

And that's why you get language like his statement you quoted; not so much because they really care about saving the customer money, but because it could mean more customers for their own products and services. And if that happens to incidentally mean less money for customers to spend on competitor products, then for Microsoft, that's just collateral damage.

@Bryank75 you guys really should correct misleading thread titles/threads like this one.. don't be like NeoGAF where the mods are too lazy to do anything but ban people and so you get 10 page threads based on lies.

I mean all he's saying is just.. reality.. with Sony making less exclusives for just one device.. duh.

The difference between Sony & Microsoft on that front, though, is that Sony's 1P games are still primarily made with PS consoles in mind as the top priority; PC is given lower priority. All initial development and optimization, game scope etc. is tailored for the PlayStation consoles and only after that does work escalate on porting the game to the PC platform.

With Microsoft, all of their 1P titles have to account for the consoles and the various PC configurations at the same time, that also includes optimizations. Given the ratio of Series S to X units, game scope for 1P games, if not now then going into the future, will probably target Series S as the priority and scale up settings, resolution and framerate for other platforms like Series X and PC, because that is just much easier to manage than the inverse.

Those approaches will still likely create fundamental differences in the scope of 1P games, even the marquee ones, between both platforms. Sony's approach at least still allows for optimal optimizations at release, vast majority of the time. Microsoft's approach doesn't really suit itself to that approach, and it's rare when it does.

I don't think anyone needs to be a fanboy to see the argument from either perspective TBH.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
How do people listen to his bullshit and lies, not throw up, and instead chose to suck his balls?

Here he implies that gatekeeping and exclusives are bad. "Oh, think of poor Timmy. The horrors!" At the same time, he buys multiplatform publishers and makes their games exclusive, spends money on timed exclusive deals, and even blocks next-gen upgrades on PS5 (Yakuza LAD)?

Fucking Diarrhea of lies and hypocrisy comes out of his mouth!

Go, get fucked by a cactus, Philnochio!
I'm pretty sure we'll see xbox games releasing on PS platforms down the road.

• fire
Reactions: Deleted member 140

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Somewhere in the interview he wants to acquire studios in regions theyre not very big in AKA Japan I guess. Best case scenario they go after sega or somehow government of japan blocks them because sony and or nintendo protest. Anything else is a worst case scenario for sony.

And this is why SIE shouldve always been a priority for sony. They should have never sold their shares of SE, on the contrary they should have bought more. From soft was sold for pennies on the dollar, shouldve gotten them. Instead sony is caught flatfooted and out gunned money wise. Its insane that by being so dependant on third parties, they never sought ownership of key third party partners, even if just stock percentage buyouts. Even backwards nintendo has some stock in Sqaure and Bandai Namco.

They really need to make a few moves, Bungie and some other no-name studios making GAAS just isn't it.

I suspect all the GAAS titles they plan will not reach anything like Fortnite and many will flop badly.

Then they are completely ignoring the audience that actually buys PlayStation and has made them successful... customers that want single player experiences... things like From Games, JRPG's, Fighting games etc....

Where is the logic in having EVO and not even having one fighting game in-house?

They started the Souls games by funding and commissioning and RPG from From and yet they have no Souls games made in PS Studios.... they should own From for a decade already.

Finally not having a JRPG or WRPG in-house is just insulting.

All those things should come before GAAS.

This is the problem with being focused on money instead of games. The games and customer need to come first, then they decide your product is serving them and they reward you....

Jim thinks he can just shove things down our throat and pump money out of us.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Changing now.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
They really need to make a few moves, Bungie and some other no-name studios making GAAS just isn't it.

I suspect all the GAAS titles they plan will not reach anything like Fortnite and many will flop badly.

Then they are completely ignoring the audience that actually buys PlayStation and has made them successful... customers that want single player experiences... things like From Games, JRPG's, Fighting games etc....

Where is the logic in having EVO and not even having one fighting game in-house?

They started the Souls games by funding and commissioning and RPG from From and yet they have no Souls games made in PS Studios.... they should own From for a decade already.

Finally not having a JRPG or WRPG in-house is just insulting.

All those things should come before GAAS.

This is the problem with being focused on money instead of games. The games and customer need to come first, then they decide your product is serving them and they reward you....

Jim thinks he can just shove things down our throat and pump money out of us.
Great points. Sony thinks as long as they provide a platform, people will come. But as weve just seen with Kojima, no I’m this industry is loyal. Sony gave this guy his own studio and let him go crazy with his new game, and he knifes them in back making an Xbox game.

Reactions: Bryank75

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Great points. Sony thinks as long as they provide a platform, people will come. But as weve just seen with Kojima, no I’m this industry is loyal. Sony gave this guy his own studio and let him go crazy with his new game, and he knifes them in back making an Xbox game.
Is the Xbox game out?

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Theres that of course but i think sony themselves carry some of the blame. Like i said, i dont understand how you be so dependent on third parties and not have an iota of ownership in any of them.
Because they dont want to own them, its that simple........... PS knows how to evolve, which they will continue to do, and make a profit by doing so.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022

I wonder if Microsoft has marketing rights to Steel Rising as well? Because they do with Lies of P, and I thought that would've been a game Sony tried getting at least marketing rights to if not timed exclusivity.

It's a good play on Microsoft's part, but also combined with the MS/FromSoft exclusive "rumor" (it's really more like gossip from fanboy insiders for clicks and narratives, but there's still maybe a 5% chance it's true), the deal giving away Elden Ring for free with Series S units (dunno how long the deal lasts, but point is they're the one with the deal and not Sony), and really not much from Sony in that space exclusive or tied strongly to the brand since Demon Soul's Remake, in a post Elden Ring world, feels like an opportunity Sony isn't capitalizing on.

If they don't have anything planned with FromSoft in terms of a new IP or sequel to Bloodborne, and the MS/FromSoft rumor ends up being true, they really do risk giving up brand association of the Souls-like genre (console-side) to Microsoft and that would just be such a massive blunder for Sony, I can't honestly picture them letting that happen so something has to be cooking on that front.

For the fighting game stuff, well Sony do have marketing rights on SFVI; there are rumors they might be interested in doing something with Arc System Works, if not acquiring them outright. Some people want them to acquire WB so they can get Mortal Kombat and NetherRealm. Maybe for the popularity that makes sense, but TBH I think Arc makes better-playing fighters and more visually appealing out of the two (tho I prefer Capcom's fighters visually to Arc's outside of any license-based fighting stuff).

Agreed with the thought that do need to also leverage IP and genres that helped define PS flavor in prior generations; Parappa/UmJammer, Katamari Damacy, God Hand, Ico etc. played their roles too in defining the brand same way God of War, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil, etc. have. There are some cool indie and AA 3P games bringing some of that energy like Skate Story, Stray, and DokeV (that one might be more of a AAA game tho or at least it had the production values of one in the reveal trailer) but for those not already released hard to say if Sony has any deeper involvement in those in terms of co-funding, marketing & exclusivity.

But Sony have a lot of classic IP they could be giving the indie/AA treatment to as well, even if that means co-developing or such with 3P developers. Sega's actually a good example with this, looking at what they've done with Sonic Mania and Streets of Rage 4. Sony could leverage outside studios in a similar capacity for some of their classic IP that are suited for a smaller indie/AA type of offering.

That entire snippet was about cross-play... which.. should be obvious?

Y'all are so ridiculously triggered by this man.

I think part of the issue though is that their push for cross-play can also be seen as a need on their part to rely on the customer base of other companies and their ecosystems, because Microsoft either feel they cannot drive enough customers to their own products & services (if they were confined to their own products), or have no desire to develop the type of software in abundance that would drive customers to their services and hardware, if the services and software were wholly confined to their own hardware products.

Nintendo don't have those problems so such is a non-issue for them when discussing their main content. Sony doesn't necessarily have those problems in the same way or to nearly the degree Microsoft does, and for what problems they have in that regard they want to address, they're doing so in a measured way that's highly selective (tho they could have taken some alternative approaches too, IMO).

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
I think part of the issue though is that their push for cross-play can also be seen as a need on their part to rely on the customer base of other companies and their ecosystems, because Microsoft either feel they cannot drive enough customers to their own products & services (if they were confined to their own products), or have no desire to develop the type of software in abundance that would drive customers to their services and hardware, if the services and software were wholly confined to their own hardware products.
I just don't know why anyone should care.

Crossplay between Xbox and Playstation is convenient for consumers.

End of the story for me... Sony bullshits about this stuff too, for $$$. "We want to protect our players" no you don't, you want to charge publishers and protect your ecosystem when it comes to crossplay.

Expect corps to bullshit.. it's what they do.. focus on what is actually good for consumers, and support it.. the end.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I wonder if Microsoft has marketing rights to Steel Rising as well? Because they do with Lies of P, and I thought that would've been a game Sony tried getting at least marketing rights to if not timed exclusivity.

It's a good play on Microsoft's part, but also combined with the MS/FromSoft exclusive "rumor" (it's really more like gossip from fanboy insiders for clicks and narratives, but there's still maybe a 5% chance it's true), the deal giving away Elden Ring for free with Series S units (dunno how long the deal lasts, but point is they're the one with the deal and not Sony), and really not much from Sony in that space exclusive or tied strongly to the brand since Demon Soul's Remake, in a post Elden Ring world, feels like an opportunity Sony isn't capitalizing on.

If they don't have anything planned with FromSoft in terms of a new IP or sequel to Bloodborne, and the MS/FromSoft rumor ends up being true, they really do risk giving up brand association of the Souls-like genre (console-side) to Microsoft and that would just be such a massive blunder for Sony, I can't honestly picture them letting that happen so something has to be cooking on that front.

For the fighting game stuff, well Sony do have marketing rights on SFVI; there are rumors they might be interested in doing something with Arc System Works, if not acquiring them outright. Some people want them to acquire WB so they can get Mortal Kombat and NetherRealm. Maybe for the popularity that makes sense, but TBH I think Arc makes better-playing fighters and more visually appealing out of the two (tho I prefer Capcom's fighters visually to Arc's outside of any license-based fighting stuff).

Agreed with the thought that do need to also leverage IP and genres that helped define PS flavor in prior generations; Parappa/UmJammer, Katamari Damacy, God Hand, Ico etc. played their roles too in defining the brand same way God of War, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil, etc. have. There are some cool indie and AA 3P games bringing some of that energy like Skate Story, Stray, and DokeV (that one might be more of a AAA game tho or at least it had the production values of one in the reveal trailer) but for those not already released hard to say if Sony has any deeper involvement in those in terms of co-funding, marketing & exclusivity.

But Sony have a lot of classic IP they could be giving the indie/AA treatment to as well, even if that means co-developing or such with 3P developers. Sega's actually a good example with this, looking at what they've done with Sonic Mania and Streets of Rage 4. Sony could leverage outside studios in a similar capacity for some of their classic IP that are suited for a smaller indie/AA type of offering.

Nintendo don't have those problems so such is a non-issue for them when discussing their main content. Sony doesn't necessarily have those problems in the same way or to nearly the degree Microsoft does, and for what problems they have in that regard they want to address, they're doing so in a measured way that's highly selective (tho they could have taken some alternative approaches too, IMO).

I never take any MSFT / Xbox rumors seriously anymore until they are confirmed by an official source.

I really don't think Elden Ring on Gamepass would make any real difference to be honest.... most people have bought it now and Xbox has the smaller fanbase for Souls, as you said.

You know I am big on Sony to buy Arc... so I doubt they will do it but an Anime vs Marvel game would be fun.

DokeV and many of those Korean games look very interesting but they are not 1st party, so they could be bought out or disappear after 1 game... I am very wary about the industry these days...

DarkMage619

Verified Gamepass Reseller
15 Jul 2022
That entire snippet was about cross-play... which.. should be obvious?

Y'all are so ridiculously triggered by this man.
Why are you so reasonable? I wish this entire board had more rational people such as yourself. You are an asset to this forum.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Whats asinine about all this is the company thats in third place in every metric is talking like theyre the game industry standard and one to follow. They cannot even do the most fundamental job of a game company which is release polished games in reasonable cadences, but phil is going to tell sony and nintendo how to conduct business.

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022

This is a big nothing burger argument. The games popular on PS are popular on Xbox as well. Outside of a handful of exclusives, the most played and best seller lists are practically the same.

Where cross play benefits consumers are the niche titles that need a larger audience no matter what platform you’re playing on.

Reactions: DarkMage619
Status
Not open for further replies.