Yoshi says FF16 initially a PS4/PS5 game. Decision made PS5 only in middle of dev. Also says It may Be Time 4 Younger Gen. to Handle FF 17

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1705072266300.png

According to Yoshi-P, he says FF16 was initially a PS4 & PS5 game.

"He wanted no loading with the high quality graphics the FF series is known for. Trying to make no loading on PS4 they found the graphics dropped to below FF15 levels, so he decided to make it PS5 only in the middle of development"

Also...

Final Fantasy 16 Producer Naoki Yoshida Says It May Be Time for the Younger Generation to Handle Final Fantasy 17​

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Game feels great when it's at it best but also really dull at it's lowest.

A more focused version of this game would've been a stronger contender for the GoTY awards.
I was lukewarm on it. Dropped it after half way through, just wasn't having tht much fun with it.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Game feels great when it's at it best but also really dull at it's lowest.

A more focused version of this game would've been a stronger contender for the GoTY awards.

I said something similar elsewhere but I view FFXVI as : Many steps forward, a few critical steps backwards and some side grades.
One of its worst offense is that, while it is a much better overall package that many of the most recent FF games, it is a much worse RPG. Which is kind of a big issue considering the series, lmao.

Also the story between like 2/3 of the game up to near the end of the game seemingly just languishes in nothing. Real BIG lull right there in terms of narrative.

In the end, it sort of feels like a bit of a disappointment, not because the game is bad, but because it could be better than what it ended up being.
Normally this isn't that much of an issue on an visceral/emotional level, but then we remember that new entries in the FF series take like 7-8 years between them and it feels bad when a game falls short, especially when it's *this* close to being great.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Ps4 literally would have bricked if you tried to play FF16 boss fights on it
Bro we had some epic boss fights from GOW3 on PS3 some I consider way more spectacular than Eikon fights so I think thy might have made something happen

This is remastered but it's insane what ps3 was able to do.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: Nomen_Nescio

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
I completed Final Fantasy XVI back at launch and for me, it was an 8.5/10. Loved the story and characters since im a Game of Thrones fan and the soundtrack is excellent. The combat/gameplay was the weakest aspect of the game as there's literally no RPG elements to it at all. A great DMC style game but a disappointing FF game in my opinion. Easily prefer Remake and Rebirth will slaughter it.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Gotta say it looks like it. Final Fantasy 15 looks better if not solely because its not a blurry unreadable mess like 16 is on consoles.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
It’s mostly underwhelming visually and outside of cutscenes. Looks it and runs like shit. Not surprised. I still think it mostly acted as part of an asset upgrade for ff14.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It is a great game but could be better.

Start to middle it is really shine but after the Bahamut arc it lost the appeal… I had to take a two weeks vacation from it to get vibe again to finish it.

The Ultima thing just doesn’t fit the game at all.

Some great characters (Cid) in contract with some plants (Jill). Character development is near non existent including Clive.

Battle system / gameplay is not bad but it lacks options and depth… you end basically doing the same thing all the time.

The potential was there and that is great for a new FF game.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
It is a great game but could be better.

Start to middle it is really shine but after the Bahamut arc it lost the appeal… I had to take a two weeks vacation from it to get vibe again to finish it.

The Ultima thing just doesn’t fit the game at all.

Some great characters (Cid) in contract with some plants (Jill). Character development is near non existent including Clive.

Battle system / gameplay is not bad but it lacks options and depth… you end basically doing the same thing all the time.

The potential was there and that is great for a new FF game.

Everything i disliked about weeb era FF was gone and I loved the changes…. All the changes to make it a braindead brawler with surface level rpg mechanics and no dungeons made me hate it. Didn’t help that after the ramnstein fight the game pretty much nosedives and becomes tediously painful to play. Amplified further by some of the worst side quests ever. I wanted to like it. It’s very rare I hate a game the more I play but FF16 pulled it off. Fuck that game

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: toadsage44

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
So this confirms its a vanity exclusive.

If FF7R and RE4R can be cross gen then I strongly believe other games could have been too.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I said something similar elsewhere but I view FFXVI as : Many steps forward, a few critical steps backwards and some side grades.
One of its worst offense is that, while it is a much better overall package that many of the most recent FF games, it is a much worse RPG. Which is kind of a big issue considering the series, lmao.

Also the story between like 2/3 of the game up to near the end of the game seemingly just languishes in nothing. Real BIG lull right there in terms of narrative.

In the end, it sort of feels like a bit of a disappointment, not because the game is bad, but because it could be better than what it ended up being.
Normally this isn't that much of an issue on an visceral/emotional level, but then we remember that new entries in the FF series take like 7-8 years between them and it feels bad when a game falls short, especially when it's *this* close to being great.
I like the combat a lot, but as a Final Fantasy game it would've made a lot more sense if each element introduced a new playable character. Being able to change between all these icons doesn't feel right at all. Being able to take control of Jill, Clive, Sid, etc, would've been a lot better and it's really strange they didn't do that after FFVII Remake worked so well.

My main problem is the inconsistent presentation and drastically difference in quality between the core missions/big moments and the rest. In many way the games think it can get away with pretending it's an MMO.

It has many qualities tho and has one of the best openings for a game in a long time, what an awesome demo that was.

Last edited:

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Financially it should have been a cross gen game. Either way it's a great game that's tried to push the series forward but also took away a little bit of what made Final Fantasy....well Final Fantasy

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
I like the combat a lot, but as a Final Fantasy game it would've made a lot more sense if each element introduced a new playable character. Being able to change between them doesn't feel right at all. Being able to control between Jill, Clive, Sid, etc, would've been a lot better.

Combat was a bit too simplistic tbh, it was a DMC clone, but somehow they were TOO fearful or overwhelming the player too much so pretty early on there was nothing new that you could do and you can just do the same combos over and over for most of the game.

My main problem is the inconsistent presentation and drastically difference in quality between the core missions and big moments and the rest. The games think it's an MMO when it comes to side content.

That's most almost all JRPGs studios and Square Enix is included in that as well. Side content is always an afterthought, and doesn't often feed into themes of the main storyline at all.

Like, if you take the lowest tier of side content in Witcher 3 and you take low tier side quests in JRPGS, this is what you get.

The Witcher 3: Villager ask you to kill some random Wolf/Ghoul nearby that's killing the village.
JRPGs(for the most part) : Villager ask you to kill some random Wolf/Slime, that's causing issues.

They're the same right? Not exactly...

The Witcher 3: Through dialogue and context clues, you learn that the reason why you're being paid by the village is because there's an invasion from Nilfgaard and the reason why the villager is asking you is because his local lord is sending his soldiers and most of his monetary capital for the war efforts and peasants have to fend for themselves, heck they had to pool their money because they're getting taxed to shit because of the war. It's all connected.

JRPGs : Through dialogue you learn that you're being asked to clear the Wolves/Slimes, because the villager's older brother has caught the famous Japanese cold and he's out of commission for 2 weeks and near death. Literally tells you nothing about the town or the greater world. It's just some nonsense reason as to have another quest that gives X reward on a checklist.

• brain
Reactions: Diah

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I liked ff16 for what it was but if this is true i can see why it ended up how it did. I feel like it needed another year in the over to add more enemy variety and another kingdom domain (Levitan?). You can literally see another crystal thats not on the map from the Royal fields area near the ocean horizon facing west. Also I wish there were jobs/classes and different weapon varietys as well. Also at least let party members take damage like kingdom hearts.

Still though despite all its flaws its a solid 8/10 game. Great story and characters.

Kx11

Banned
7 Jan 2024
Katar
flickr.com
The guy went and made a Jon Snow Final Fantasy and gave us a very straight forward game that is so forgettable if it wasn't for the pretty graphics, not to mention pushing PS5 down to 30fps 720p

Reactions: nongkris and Diah