1TB Series S is a horrible idea...

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
For $150 more you are getting a system that is about 3x as powerful GPU, an 2x faster and more robust RAM.

The CPUs the same. Also you can buy a second hand Series X for like $350-400 easily so if you don't mind buying a good condition used system, you can basically get the SX for same price or so...

I just don't see the market for this.

Especially when 512GB SS at $249 + 1TB Expansion Card for $129. gets you 1.5TB of storage for only $29 more than this black SS.

• brain
Reactions: Zzero

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It's not a horrible idea (besides the S spec already being horrible on its own), it's just a horrible idea to charge an extra $50

Reactions: peter42O

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I'm sure the price will drop once they eventually phase out the 1st gen series S. Whenever they've managed to clear the channels they've stuffed.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Will be interesting to see if they significantly lower stock of the 512GB model.

Mild Conviction

13 Jan 2023
For modern gaming, the Series S is borderline useless, yes.

But, and I know this is obviously niche, the Series S is turning into an extremely well-performing and reasonably priced dedicated emulation machine.

$350 for a 1TB console that can run everything up to (and including) PS2/GameCube-era games almost flawlessly is actually extremely good in this hobby.

• brain
Reactions: Zzero

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
For modern gaming, the Series S is borderline useless, yes.

But, and I know this is obviously niche, the Series S is turning into an extremely well-performing and reasonably priced dedicated emulation machine.

$350 for a 1TB console that can run everything up to (and including) PS2/GameCube-era games almost flawlessly is actually extremely good in this hobby.
They banned emulators on xbox recently.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The weird thing is MS trying to sell that turd saying it was requested by fans… I mean is he believing Series S owners will just buy a new Series S just because it has 1TB?

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
MS wants to push the Series S for their bottom line. It's already sold enough that devs can't ignore it not that they could but still. I also don't think the console is as bad as many here say it is.

It's an entry device into their ecosystem, gets the job done well enough. If they weren't so horrible at running their game studios I Reckon things would have turnt out better for this console.

Mild Conviction

13 Jan 2023

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Will be interesting to see if they significantly lower stock of the 512GB model.
Phil mentioned wanting more of the X out there, proportionally, in the showcase so maybe. They might redesign the dye without incorporating performance upgrades.

• Informative
Reactions: Hezekiah

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Isn't this is from a year or so ago? The situation hasn't gotten any worse since. In fact, some emulators have been actively making dedicated Xbox Series S|X forks with better UI and stuff. Digital Foundry even did a test a couple weeks ago to display how good it is. (It's not an optimal test because it uses the RetroArch cores, which are super outdated.)
Unless MS changed their terms of use, it really doesn’t matter what the emulator devs have or haven’t done. MS can still nuke your account from orbit for any reason they choose.

D

Deleted member 417

It is a terrible idea and predictable.

I wonder if Evilore will unban my account for saying that there will be multiple Series SKU's?