1TB Series S is a horrible idea...

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
MS wants to push the Series S for their bottom line. It's already sold enough that devs can't ignore it not that they could but still. I also don't think the console is as bad as many here say it is.

It's an entry device into their ecosystem, gets the job done well enough. If they weren't so horrible at running their game studios I Reckon things would have turnt out better for this console.
How is it not awful if for $50 extra you can buy a PS5 DE?

Both are digital only and will have about as much storage, the PS5 will have games performing on pair with the Series X (drastically better GPU, faster RAM, more RAM, much faster SSD), much better gamepad, much better games and even a better and cheaper service now.

Last edited:

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
What do you mean outdated? The series s isn't outdated. It's simply underbuilt for its purpose. The tech is the same as the series x.

Their RAM configuration is for sure outdated. Not only split bandwidth, but also small bandwidth + puny amount of RAM. There's a reason it can't run current gen games with some bells and whistles, and it's not just the GPU, which is decent enough for 1080p gaming. It's the RAM.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Their RAM configuration is for sure outdated. Not only split bandwidth, but also small bandwidth + puny amount of RAM. There's a reason it can't run current gen games with some bells and whistles, and it's not just the GPU, which is decent enough for 1080p gaming. It's the RAM.
Oh yeah i have no idea what they were thinking with the split ram. That probably cost them way more in the end at the cost of slightly lowering their BoM

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
How is it not awful if for $50 extra you can buy a PS5 DE?

Both are digital only and will have about as much storage, the PS5 will have games performing on pair with the Series X (drastically better GPU, faster RAM, more RAM, much faster SSD), much better gamepad, much better games and even a better service now.
When I say it's not awful. I'm referring to price point. $350 isn't the price of entry for the machine.

• haha
Reactions: Hezekiah

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
That same argument was even truer when comparing the 512gb S + the original price for storage. You could end up paying the same or more if you ended up needing more storage.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
When I say it's not awful. I'm referring to price point. $350 isn't the price of entry for the machine.
It's awful even at $249, pretty much anybody should get a PS5 DE instead (or a Series X if they hate themselves and want to get scalped on storage expansion).

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
But, isn't that true for virtually any online service?
Unfortunately it is:

Apple, MS, Sony, Facebook, Google, Twitter, PayPal, Visa, Master Card, many banks, icon-era, whoever else can just decide that you are a bad person (valid or not) and you end up without their services, the online part is substantial in all cases.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
But, isn't that true for virtually any online service?
Yes but it's significantly more likely for activities that are illegal like playing pirated games via emulation off a closed platform's hardware. If you want to emulate, do it on pc where microsoft can't touch you.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Yes but it's significantly more likely for activities that are illegal like playing pirated games via emulation off a closed platform's hardware. If you want to emulate, do it on pc where microsoft can't touch you.
Technically, MS can touch you on PC as long as you’re running Windows.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Cracked builds of Windows are not safe from MS fuckery. There are a lot of little hooks that can be used by MS to mess things up for a user if they choose to.
It's also about sending a message, they should pay you to use windows if they are going to be invasive like that. MS is cancer, but people don't seem to mind it anymore because they don't realize how much information is worth.

Windows, Linkedin, VSCode, GitHub, they are all about stealing information.

It makes no sense to subject yourself to Windows unless you are forced to.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty
24 Jun 2022

Not only that; the CPUs in the Series systems have to do more heavy lifting in terms of handling cache coherency, cache management, and data I/O because they have comparatively less dedicated ASIC hardware for those tasks vs. PS5.

This wouldn't have been as much an issue if they had notably better CPUs to cover the overhead of performing those tasks on the cores themselves, but they don't; Series X's CPU is only a paltry 100 MHz faster than PS5s and that doesn't make up for the dedicated ASICs the PS5 has for various data I/O tasks with the storage, RAM, and processor caches.

Oh yeah i have no idea what they were thinking with the split ram. That probably cost them way more in the end at the cost of slightly lowering their BoM

If we're measuring in terms of developer support, preference, power & performance optics and R&Ding workarounds & solutions with the GDK...

...yeah, it's costed them quite a lot.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
What do you mean outdated? The series s isn't outdated. It's simply underbuilt for its purpose. The tech is the same as the series x.
It's weak, doesn't matter if it's outdated or not.

It clearly wasn't built for this purpose based on MS early marketing that it would run games at the same quality just at lower resolution (specifically 1440p lmao). They simply completely misread how games would be made this gen (probably because they are terrible at making game and had close to no games ready).

The series S even runs Xbox One games at the Xbox One S settings instead of Xbox One X. Absolutely embarrassing. One of the worst gaming hardware of all time in terms of quality and value.

Last edited: