1TB Series S is a horrible idea...

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Pirates can steal your identity and wreak havoc in your life, all the while they steal your money! or just borrow money under your name!
Windows ain't going to save your from that, if anything using Windows makes it more likely that will happen to you.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
At the very least not installing a version where the payload is backed it is a good start.
Not that I'm advising you to install windows but I'm pretty sure you can download and install Windows from MS servers and then just edit a registry to get rid of the watermark when it shows later if you somehow don't have a key already.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Same thing people said about Switch, “there’s no market for this”.

These deep analysis threads about a company you don’t like would be more interesting if you weren’t so plainly biased. That’s not to say you have *no* point, but commentators with this level of ideological disfunction are often wrong.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
This risk isn't exclusive to Xbox. It's always a risk when you use a major console for emulation. This has never stopped the emulatiom community before and it likely never will. No point in being paranoid about it now.
Just keep telling yourself that, and the rest of us will laugh when it hits the fan.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think that to increase its SSD size is a good idea.

What it was a horrible idea was to have a less powerful SKU when they were able to use Xbox One X to have a cheaper and less powerful console for the early years of the generation.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
They should have phased out the 256 GB series S and replace it with at least a 512 GB one for the same price. 50 USD more and you have a PS5 DE. Terrible idea.

24 Jun 2022

These deep analysis threads about a company you don’t like would be more interesting if you weren’t so plainly biased. That’s not to say you have *no* point, but commentators with this level of ideological disfunction are often wrong.

Oh there's a market for Series S, alright. It's just that market is smaller than some of the diehard fans of the system want to admit. If it weren't, they wouldn't have needed to start pricing discounts last summer. They (MS) would not be tracking at OG Xbox sales levels globally for the past few months, when Series S supply is ample.

The market for Series S is quite smaller than Microsoft calculated it'd be; the casuals/mainstream it was made to bring in Day 1 through Game Pass by and large aren't biting (in fact if anything they are gravitating towards Switch & PS5 in terms of consoles), and most enthusiasts don't want it because they'd rather have a Series X, PC, or PS5. Casuals/mainstream also tend to wait until the middle of the gen before they jump in; by that time cheaper PS5 options will be available and the Series S will look like an even worst value proposition by comparison.

It has little to do with personal feelings and a lot more to do with just looking at the facts.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

We'll see, you think this Series S at $349 is going to boost Xbox sales?

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
We'll see, you think this Series S at $349 is going to boost Xbox sales?
Without some sort of cultural shift nothing will.

Microsoft is known to play the long game. I don’t believe any one move will change what’s happening *right now*, but it will at least placate their current supporters.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Without some sort of cultural shift nothing will.

Microsoft is known to play the long game. I don’t believe any one move will change what’s happening *right now*, but it will at least placate their current supporters.
What is happening in the long run?

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
What is happening in the long run?
Culture changes, companies lose footing, they gain footing. I can’t tell you for sure. Nintendo just did a billion dollars off a movie, are they even still producing games at the same clip they are now say, 20 years from now? Sony has shown their shifting interests to more service style games. How do their current supporters respond to that once fully realized? If anything that plays more into Microsoft’s expertise. If the battle goes there and we see less PS exclusives as a result, then I see no reason why the culture can’t shift in the opposite direction.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Culture changes, companies lose footing, they gain footing. I can’t tell you for sure. Nintendo just did a billion dollars off a movie, are they even still producing games at the same clip they are now say, 20 years from now? Sony has shown their shifting interests to more service style games. How do their current supporters respond to that once fully realized? If anything that plays more into Microsoft’s expertise. If the battle goes there and we see less PS exclusives as a result, then I see no reason why the culture can’t shift in the opposite direction.
Seems like the future always favors Xbox but reality never does.