2024 will be a monster year for PS5

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
OP is delusional if he thinks DS2 is coming next year. PS looks set to have FF7R2, maybe Wolverine and then a bucket of multiplayer slop. Oh and some soulslikes.
Death Stranding came out in 2019. Its gonna be 5 years in 2024. It should come out soon

Last edited:
Reactions: Umar and PS_ROCKS

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Do ya’ll think he has a point? He says that games that are 2nd and 3rd party exclusives don’t count for Sony because they’re not 1st party.

Nah, that's stupid.

These are first-party games because (1) they use first-party tech, (2) owned by PlayStation Studios, (3) and a literal first-party team, xDev, works on these games.

Reactions: PS_ROCKS

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Not a chance in hell Wolverine comes out next year. We haven’t even seen gameplay for it yet.
Lets hope this is Sony’s new approach. Dont show much until its close to release. Because it was announced in 2021, it should be almost complete

Reactions: PS_ROCKS

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Yeah I do think he has a point. Something Ive been saying for the past year.
I have a feeling they will bring out Wolverine 2024, just like Spiderman MM 2020/ Then Ratchet and Clank 2021. I mean they have to at this point.

But he has a point, we have no idea whats coming 2024/2025 from 1st party. Apart from Wolverine, maybe Concord, the other Heist game and Bungie’s multiplatform game….

Death Stranding 1 came out in 2019 and its not 1st Party. 2024 means 5 years since the last game came out. Its kinda dumb the sequel is taking longer to develop than the original Death Stranding that came out after 4 years after MGS5. With no contracts, no engine choosen, no story developed etc etc...

If Sony’s 1st party, WWS, only has 1 single player AAA for 2024 ( nothing confirmed yet ) it would be a officially a Disastrous output for the generation and Id be calling for at least Hermans job
He doesn’t have a point. If you don’t count 2nd and 3rd party exclusives, then you shouldn’t count Gears of War before MS bought Epic. You shouldn’t count Bloodborne, Spiderman 2018 before Sony bought Insomniac, Smash, Metroid Dread, Flight Simulator, etc. Those games were not made by 1st party studios. If a publisher like Sony, Nintendo, or MS is writing a check to get these games made, then they should count in the portfolio.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Lets hope this is Sony’s new approach. Dont show much until its close to release. Because it was announced in 2021, it should be almost complete
It shouldn’t be almost complete man. They started Mo-Cap work last year, and they‘re still hiring for the writing team. They started full production in 2022.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Nah, that's stupid.

These are first-party games because (1) they use first-party tech, (2) owned by PlayStation Studios, (3) and a literal first-party team, xDev, works on these games.

Ok. Where are the games from World Wide studios? If we’re now counting these are 1st party. Im just gonna criticise World Wide Studios which Hermen is in charge of.

Games like Flight Simulator arent done by 1st party for Xbox.

Thats why Death Stranding and Rise of the Ronin arent classed as 1st Party Titles, Team Ninja and Kojima Productions arent 1st Party studios like Naughty Dog, Santa Monica and Insomniac are.
We cant lump Team Ninja and Kojima’s games as 1st party games because they are working with Xdev and Sony.

Rise of the Ronin isn’t a Sony IP either supposedly

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It shouldn’t be almost complete man. They started Mo-Cap work last year, and they‘re still hiring for the writing team. They started full production in 2022.
Pretty lame its taking this long to go into full production

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Ok. Where are the games from World Wide studios? If we’re now counting these are 1st party. Im just gonna criticise World Wide Studios which Hermen is a apart of.

Games like Flight Simulator arent done by 1st party for Xbox.

Thats why Death Stranding and Rise of the Ronin arent classed as 1st Party Titles, Team Ninja and Kojima Productions arent 1st Party studios like Naughty Dog, Santa Monica and Insomniac are.
We cant lump Team Ninja and Kojima’s games as 1st party games because they are working with Xdev and Sony.

Rise of the Ronin isn’t a Sony IP either supposedly
There are no WWS anymore. They were rebranded as PlayStation Studios.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
He doesn’t have a point. If you don’t count 2nd and 3rd party exclusives, then you shouldn’t count Gears of War before MS bought Epic. You shouldn’t count Bloodborne, Spiderman 2018 before Sony bought Insomniac, Smash, Metroid Dread, Flight Simulator, etc. Those games were not made by 1st party studios. If a publisher like Sony, Nintendo, or MS is writing a check to get these games made, then they should count in the portfolio.

Why are you talking about Xbox?

Flight Simulator isn’t made by there 1st party. Its made by a 3rd party team Asobo Studios and some others. MS owns the IP.
Just because someone publishes a title it doesnt make them 1st party. Examples, Dead Rising, Mass Effect and Rise of the Ronin.

And ok, if you guys want to count every ”2nd” party game as first party fine. But the output of Sony’s Official World Wide Studios, Sony’s own studios as been pretty laclkluster This generation. And a part from Wolverine and the 3 Online games, we have no idea whats coming from them

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Death Stranding 2 and Marathon are 2024.

Have low expectations for pretty much everything else.

Also… we have no idea what’s coming out next year tbh. I expect whatever they have for holiday 24 to be revealed at a later time. The showcase stuff like Concord seem even further out.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Either way, lackluster. Outside of Wolverine, Concord and the Hiest game, where are the Playstation Studio exclusives?
They did release a lot of games in 2018, 2019 and 2020. I think they released 11+ exclusives in that period. Then they also ported many of those to PS5 - either by patches or by full remasters/remakes.

It makes sense that they will release their next batch of games at the tail-end of the generation, considering that they all do big AAA games, which now take 5-6 years.

Similar things happened in the last generation as well: Sucker Punch launched Infamous SS at PS4 launch and then Ghost of Tsushima ~5 months before PS5 launched. This is not a new phenomenon. It is more prominent now because games now take even longer to make.

That is why Sony relies on external studios to make PlayStation Studios games, which, in my and most others' opinion, are still first-party PlayStation Studios games.

You should view them as 1P PlayStation Studios titles as xDev is also involved, which is one of the biggest first-party PlayStation studios. Returnal was a first-party game, even before HouseMarque's acquisition. Just exchanging some money and completing some paperwork to acquire a studio has no tangible effect on the status of the game and does not make it 1P from 2P / 3P -- especially for us gamers.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They did release a lot of games in 2018, 2019 and 2020. I think they released 11+ exclusives in that period. Then they also ported many of those to PS5 - either by patches or by full remasters/remakes.

It makes sense that they will release their next batch of games at the tail-end of the generation, considering that they all do big AAA games, which now take 5-6 years.

Similar things happened in the last generation as well: Sucker Punch launched Infamous SS at PS4 launch and then Ghost of Tsushima ~5 months before PS5 launched. This is not a new phenomenon. It is more prominent now because games now take even longer to make.

That is why Sony relies on external studios to make PlayStation Studios games, which, in my and most others' opinion, are still first-party PlayStation Studios games.

You should view them as 1P PlayStation Studios titles as xDev is also involved, which is one of the biggest first-party PlayStation studios. Returnal was a first-party game, even before HouseMarque's acquisition. Just exchanging some money and completing some paperwork to acquire a studio has no tangible effect on the status of the game and does not make it 1P from 2P / 3P -- especially for us gamers.

I think they needed to prepare themselves better for going forward then. Games take more time and require more people, they need there studios to be working on a couple of games each at least.

I guess your right about the 1st party thing, but then theres no difference between Santa Monica and Kojima. One thing is they have more control over the studios they own, a studio like Team Ninja or Kojima could just reject working for a title whereas Santa Monica has to make games for Sony, they are part of the 1st party studios.

Either way, its disappointing that in 2024, there isnt a single game scheduled from a Sony owned studio. Especially Single player game

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
OP is delusional if he thinks DS2 is coming next year. PS looks set to have FF7R2, maybe Wolverine and then a bucket of multiplayer slop. Oh and some soulslikes.
You don't think DS2 will release next year, but you think Wolverine will do. Then you call OP delusional!

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Oh my. That sounds truly abysmal.

/s

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I think they needed to prepare themselves better for going forward then. Games take more time and require more people, they need there studios to be working on a couple of games each at least.

I guess your right about the 1st party thing, but then theres no difference between Santa Monica and Kojima. One thing is they have more control over the studios they own, a studio like Team Ninja or Kojima could just reject working for a title whereas Santa Monica has to make games for Sony, they are part of the 1st party studios.
I agree, they needed to start investing well before PS5. And I believe it is Shawn Layden's fault. He didn't acquire any studio and he also didn't expand internal teams.

Jim Ryan, upon taking charge in 2019, started investing in additional teams and acquisitions. If he didn't do that, things would have been worse now. Santa Monica got the second team, which I think will release their game in 2025. If that wasn't the case, they'd have released GOWR in 2022 and then the next God of War game likely as a cross-gen PS6 game.

Insomniac has 3 teams now. GG has 2 teams. Firesprite was acquired and I think they have 3 teams working on 3 games. So there's a lot of good stuff cooking, but they started a bit later than I'd have liked.

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
He just doesn't like it when PS fans behave like xbots. "Be happy it's not coming out on xbox" is a bad look, no different from bots celebrating Bethesda games skipping PS.
The line is thin between:
- I love my ps5 because this is the only place I can play game x, y and z
And
- I hate Xbox because it doesn't play games x, y and z, also games like g and t are garbage trash and this is what Xbox has to offer.

Reactions: Systemshock2023