40 PS things that happened since we last saw Xbox's Perfect Dark, Fable, Avowed, Everwild, SoD3.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
MS only got where they did with the 360 by bringing in experienced, connected people from elsewhere in the gaming world. As much as Peter Moore and Don Mattrick are asshats, they had connections from their days at SEGA and EA respectively. Current Xbox leadership are all MS lifers who only know the MS way of doing things, which is why nothing they do is working, or ever will succeed in a big enough way to keep the division going past this generation.
they also made tons of games exclusive.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
they also made tons of games exclusive.
Yes, it was MS buying up exclusives that led to the birth of the term "Moneyhat", as coined in a Penny Arcade strip skewering Lorne Landing of Oddworld Inhabitants for his sudden conversion from PS to Xbox evangelism.

It was the connections that their top bosses had that helped them get those deals.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: laynelane

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
"Just wait till next E3 generation."

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Reaction GIF
Someone with gif skills should shop Phils face on the lady with MS announced, but yet to release exclusives logo's on the cupcakes, with the nam flashbacks being a highlight reel of Sony big hitter exclusives. Perfection. The Xbox diehard has truly suffered.

• haha
Reactions: Heisenberg007
OP
OP
Heisenberg007

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Someone with gif skills should shop Phils face on the lady with MS announced, but yet to release exclusives logo's on the cupcakes, with the nam flashbacks being a highlight reel of Sony big hitter exclusives. Perfection. The Xbox diehard has truly suffered.
Even a simple "This year will be the biggest Xbox year so far!" would make perfect sense on this GIF 🤣

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
NEXT YEAR will always be the best year ever for Xbox, every year.
It gets better and better, even when current year has the strongest lineup in Xbox history.

Unfortunately the only Xbox I ever owned was the og Xbox, which was great btw. I can't even imagine how much better things are.

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
No wonder they are trying to buy out the competition through ABK acquisition... remove that and their future seem bleak with their current trajectory. While their net trajectory is towards negative, their only positives coming from their most recent past acquisitions through Bethesda and that is saying something for their own lackluster 'studios'...

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Good games will resolve a lot of things. But they also need patience, actual success would probably only happen in the next cycle.

I think that if they have had a proper follow-up to the 360. The xbone would have been proper console, with a focus on gaming performance, be just a bit more powerful than the ps4, or maybe if Sony had shipped the PS4 with 4GB of RAM. They would have taken over Sony in the last generation, people still remembered the early 360 days and associated MS with the good part of that, a good number of gamers also wanted the better performance in third party games (associated with Xbox at this point).

So the worst happened for Xbox:
- they didn't show up for hardcore early adopters
- Sony did pretty good with the ps4 (other than the fan noise).. also, Sony gained a lot of good will by shipping great 1st party games on the ps3, that gave them some momentum

If MS had a good underdog end of generation they could be in a position to gain the upper hand for the next one.

Obviously this Xbox fan wet dream assumes Sony does nothing to keep their clients and that MS does everything just right

Even in the 360 era, when they had good games, the XBox was not popular on a world-wide scale. It was popular in a select few markets and countries and that trend has continued to this day. Perhaps Gamepass and cloud gaming were attempts to expand their reach, but both have done little to change this issue.

I do agree with you that good games make all the difference in normal circumstances, though. It's one of the reasons Nintendo and Sony have done so well for themselves.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Even in the 360 era, when they had good games, the XBox was not popular on a world-wide scale. It was popular in a select few markets and countries and that trend has continued to this day. Perhaps Gamepass and cloud gaming were attempts to expand their reach, but both have done little to change this issue.

I do agree with you that good games make all the difference in normal circumstances, though. It's one of the reasons Nintendo and Sony have done so well for themselves.
Gamepass and cloud gaming are efforts to extend their margins, that's all.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Ps is the best of course... but that list.. I don't know about that list.

me buying shoes:
-Get up,
-get dressed
-drive to the store
-walk around the store
-try on shoes
-buy shoes

• thisistheway
Reactions: KnittedKnight

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Ps is the best of course... but that list.. I don't know about that list.

me buying shoes:
-Get up,
-get dressed
-drive to the store
-walk around the store
-try on shoes
-buy shoes
While your neighbor did this:
- stay in bed and pretend he did stuff

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: rofif

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Gamepass and cloud gaming are efforts to extend their margins, that's all.
It’s less about margins than industry control and subscriber count to pump the company stock price.

MS hasn’t turned a profit on Xbox over its lifespan even with Live Gold being madatory for so many things it shouldn’t have been mandatory for and requiring individual subs per user!

Game Pass has more overhead than Live Gold due to licensing deals, and always will unless MS owns the majority of titles on the service.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the volatility of the GP library is due in part to licensing for some games being a low guarantee to the publisher plus a per-download premium, and the subscriber count not being enough for the premium to be seen as worthwhile to the publishers.

Reactions: laynelane