4K TVs Tech Thread: LG, Sony, Samsung, TCL, Hisense...Panasonic??

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Samsung reveals transparent MicroLED displays, 42- and 48-inch OLED TV panels
-better anti-glare treatment on S95D
-S85D lineup (new cheaper oled series)
-transparent microLED looks sick af

LG announces G4, transparent OLED panels
-new 83" MLA panel, 97" OLED is still W-OLED
-wireless M-series announced (relies on separate wireless relay station box to transmit HDMI ota to the TV)
-seeing some criticism of the B- and C- series not having upgraded processors

Sony isn't presenting new TVs at CES, but did announce last week that the flagship for 2024 will be a MiniLED panel powered by a new backlight system that is much more precise with its local dimming, will be much closer to OLED

TCL:
-QM7 is the budget miniLED option, will have 55" this year. Can do 4k144hz or 1440p240hz
-QM8 5000 nits, 5k dimming zones
-115" QM891G 5k nits, 20k dimming zones.

Not much to say about TCL TVs, they've apparently been the budget brand that has surprisingly decent quality in their upper tier products the past 3-4 years. I think their color accuracy leaves a bit to be desired, idk if it's just the camera overexposing the display tvs due to their brightness but the tvs seemed to be clipping details on the bright specular highlights. But if your budget is limited they will get you a pretty good experience at a reasonable price.

Hisense:
-Impressive specs compared to previous year which was already pretty good
-110" UX 10k nits peak brightness (!!), 40k dimming zones (!!)

Never really trusted Hisense, their TVs always have big numbers on the spec sheet but the internet is littered with complaints of poor QC on their TVs. Will have to wait and see if things begin to change now that they're gaining a bit of market share.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arc

Arc

5 Sep 2023
Transparent is cool. It gets in the way of performance, so it’s nothing a techie will want, but for casuals, it might be a little bit like The Frame. A big TV that can do cool stuff and look good when it’s not being a TV.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
LG M4 looks good in my eyes

the rest is crap, Sony got Android TV but the price isn't worth it
If you can find a deal on a Sony TV it's great. Got my A80K for 50% off MSRP, which was actually cheaper than LED TVs, by getting an open box deal from Microcenter. Slapped a 4yr extended warranty and the panel was pristine.

Kx11

Banned
7 Jan 2024
Katar
flickr.com
If you can find a deal on a Sony TV it's great. Got my A80K for 50% off MSRP, which was actually cheaper than LED TVs, by getting an open box deal from Microcenter. Slapped a 4yr extended warranty and the panel was pristine.

I had the A95L under my eyes but they haven't released it here yet so i'll skip it to M4 LG if i ever wanted to upgrade from C2

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I had the A95L under my eyes but they haven't released it here yet so i'll skip it to M4 LG if i ever wanted to upgrade from C2
nah the c2 should be golden for years, most of the new OLEDs are incremental updates

• party
Reactions: Kx11
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Transparent is cool. It gets in the way of performance, so it’s nothing a techie will want, but for casuals, it might be a little bit like The Frame. A big TV that can do cool stuff and look good when it’s not being a TV.
A transparent TV would be good for something like tabletop board games via a virtual tabletop, you could sit around a table and not have to look down at the board state. Or in the future transparent displays could become fully 3D so you could have a true holographic display

Reactions: Arc
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Rtings reviews the A95L

Might just convert this to a general purpose TV tech thread

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Sharp demos new tech

-QDEL: quantum-dot electro-luminescent display
-Quantum dots up to now relied on either LED or OLED drivers to light them up but Sharp has found a way for them to be self-emissive
-Should counter the OLED drawback of degrading organic layer

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I would like one of them dumb TV again. Full panel technology

The only reason I buy Sony TV because of built-in Android TV can be disable through a few line of codes.

Also I prefer IPS LCD to OLED so Micro LEDs seem like a great bargain because OLED have many issues I generally hates. Would trade for color/dim range.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Not a TV but i've been waiting years for a 4k 32 inch OLED 120+ hz display and they're finally starting to come out. Just waiting for all the manufacturers to release theres to see which is best and then I'll pull the trigger. So glad I didn't fomo and get LG C2 42inch, now I'll have a great display for PC and PS5 (and switch 2) 😁

So far, Alienware's QD OLED looks amazing and is already getting great early impressions, now just waiting on Samsung, Asus, MSI, etc.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Not a TV but i've been waiting years for a 4k 32 inch OLED 120+ hz display and they're finally starting to come out. Just waiting for all the manufacturers to release theres to see which is best and then I'll pull the trigger. So glad I didn't fomo and get LG C2 42inch, now I'll have a great display for PC and PS5 (and switch 2) 😁

So far, Alienware's QD OLED looks amazing and is already getting great early impressions, now just waiting on Samsung, Asus, MSI, etc.

msi already has the neo g8 though

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I would like one of them dumb TV again. Full panel technology

The only reason I buy Sony TV because of built-in Android TV can be disable through a few line of codes.

Also I prefer IPS LCD to OLED so Micro LEDs seem like a great bargain because OLED have many issues I generally hates. Would trade for color/dim range.
Many issues?

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
oh this, I was still looking at the Neo G8 cuz I said 4k , this isn't 4k, and idc what anyone says 3440x1440 is a hideous resolution. No idea how it's been normalized.
For some things ultrawide can be more immersive but most games aren't built for ultrawide so it looks kinda weird. I'm not really sure why some pc dudes like that aspect ratio.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
For some things ultrawide can be more immersive but most games aren't built for ultrawide so it looks kinda weird. I'm not really sure why some pc dudes like that aspect ratio.
most games don't support ultrawide, and just for everyday use, the text clarity is really bad.