4K TVs Tech Thread: LG, Sony, Samsung, TCL, Hisense...Panasonic??

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The PPI is trash compared to a full 4k resolution at 32 inches.
oh, different clarity. I remember reading that you can't use normal monitors as upright side monitors (by standing it up vertically) because the text becomes blurry due to the subpixel layout meaning that letters can't be rendered with sharp edges.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
oh, different clarity. I remember reading that you can't use normal monitors as upright side monitors (by standing it up vertically) because the text becomes blurry due to the subpixel layout meaning that letters can't be rendered with sharp edges.
idk where you heard that, I used to use a 1600x900 monitor I stole from work as a vertical monitor (discord, forums, twitter) and it worked perfectly fine 🤣 I didn't have any issue with legibility, only reason I tossed it out was cuz I no longer had space on my desk for it.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
idk where you heard that, I used to use a 1600x900 monitor I stole from work as a vertical monitor (discord, forums, twitter) and it worked perfectly fine 🤣 I didn't have any issue with legibility, only reason I tossed it out was cuz I no longer had space on my desk for it.
what kind of panel is it?

*edit*

here's the wikipedia article

MS Cleartype

Sensitivity to display orientation​

Because ClearType utilizes the physical layout of the red, green and blue pigments of the LCD screen, it is sensitive to the orientation of the display.

ClearType in Windows XP supports the RGB and BGR sub pixel structures; rotated displays, in which the subpixels are stacked vertically rather than arranged horizontally, are not supported.[19] Using ClearType on these display configurations will actually reduce the display quality. The best option for users of Windows XP having rotated LCD displays (Tablet PCs or swivel-stand LCD displays) is using regular anti-aliasing, or switching off font-smoothing altogether.

The software developer documentation for Windows CE states that ClearType for rotated screens is supported on that platform.[20]

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
This is the first i've heard of cleartype...it doesn't seem to be relevant anymore?
It's still in windows 10 and 11, but IG now most text rendering is hardware accelerated so it doesn't do much

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Interview with basically a marketing/PR manager from Sony's TV division about their new hardware
-pretty much confirms the reason why Sony has been skipping major trade shows like CES - many competing manufacturers/vendors means a quick news cycle meaning your announcements can easily get lost in the churn of the news cycle
-shift in technology is related to how content is mastered; post-covid movie theaters aren't bouncing back because people have good tvs now so more filmmakers are mastering content for home theater, also new mastering sony mastering monitor goes up to 4000 nits so now they need TVs that can hit that brightness to match
-new mastering monitor uses the same backlight control system that's going in consumer tvs (skeptical of this claim as the hx3110 is like $30,000)
-reason sony can use less dimming zones and get a better reason is because their dimming zones can do more, standard LED drivers operated with an 8- or 10-bit (256/1024 different states) data stream, while sony's microLEDs use a 22-bit (4million states) stream so they have much more fine control over each LED/zone

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
lg is pumping these out so fast lmao, feels like the c3/g3 just came out yesterday. And everyone is showing off their next oleds and Sony is focusing on Mini LED 🤔
Every year is a new model for samsung and lg and sony lol, well sony not so much. sony probably got tired of buying oled panels from lg and samsung