Concord Review Thread

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
I'm somewhat of an expert in multiplayer. I was able to largely predict the success of both PUBG and Fortnite back when the industry was mocking both titles pre release. I've also identified a media who's single player oriented and therefore blind to what truly makes multiplayer special. IconEra, you deserve this, a review of Concord from a connoisseur of the medium. Multiplayer can be broken down into the following 4 pillars: Progression, playstyle variance, social aspect, and excitement level.

PROGRESSION - 4/10
-There's a few aspects to progression in a multiplayer game. Your in match progression (does your score go up?), your player skill (are you improving/learning?), and your out of match progression (are you unlocking things?) Concords in match progression is bad. Concord player skill progression is fine. Concords out of match progression is awful. You add up all 3 mini pillars and you get a four out of ten.

PLAYSTYLE VARIANCE - 8/10
- Concord does pretty well in this area. The 16 characters in the game all play pretty differently from one another. Tanks having no DPS disadvantage is also an interesting design choice to encourage the choosing of those characters. Now does it do this any better than Overwatch? Probably not. Still, this is the strongest aspect to the game.

SOCIAL - 5/10
- I've played both betas and the last couple days of early access. I don't think I've heard more than 10 people in total use their mics. There are games that really encourage mic usage. Concord doesn't. The game seems to be too casual in nature to encourage randoms to talk to one another.

EXCITEMENT - 2/10
- This game is a really boring sell. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to persuade someone to try Concord when there's 6 other very competent 5v5 Hero Shooters on the market. Why would anyone spend $40 dollars here when there are so many other free options? It really feels like Firewalk thought they were genius in 2016 and thought no other Hero Shooters were going to come to market after Overwatch. I equate this pillar to The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Does the premise of the experience excite players enough to step through the closet into the new world?

OVERALL SCORE - 6.5/10

Odd notes...

- Concord is to Hero Shooters what Heroes of the Storm was to MOBA's. Blizzard thought the barrier of entry was too high for MOBAs so they made one designed for beginners. Concord is VERY noob / casual friendly. The characters are very simple to learn, the hitboxes are generous, and there's a comeback mechanic for teams and players to get stronger when they die.

- I do wonder if the SJW character design was a bad choice for a PvP oriented audience. I tend to think more competitive people hate this stuff more than less competitive people. You might be able to get away with these characters in a single player FPS game.

- The story is both cool and dumb. I'm showing up to a planet to complete missions in my Northstar ship, but so are my other 4 teammates? Why are there 5 clones of DAW on my team and 5 clones of DAW on my opponents team? Every match has 10 Northstar Ships dropping in and all the ships are loaded with essentially the same characters. WTF? That said, if this game were great, something we could spend hundreds of hours with, then perhaps a compelling, cohesive story would be appreciated.

What should Firewalk focus on post launch?

- Bump Rivalry mode up to FIRST TO SIX wins. It's currently set to FIRST TO FOUR wins and it's way too short.
- They have to start working on a mode that's unique to Concord. The base 6 modes have all been done to death over the last 25 years. A payload mode isn't going to cut it.
- The XP we earn should be converted into currency and we should be able to buy the upgrades we want. Unlocking a purple glove for a character I don't play couldn't be lamer.

I'll end my review on a postive note. I don't think PlayStation should shutter Firewalk. There's talent at this studio. They just need to assess what went wrong here and be given one more chance to pull their own weight. The lead character designer should probably have a burlap sack on his head and be in a van headed to a remote town in Mexico though.

cheers-gif-1.gif

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I said it before, but if they had a game that had all the PlayStation heroes in it—Aloy, Kratos, Astrobot, Uncharted Crew, and so on—gave them all abilities and made maps of famous locations from those games, they would have a winner on their hands.

I don't understand how they can expect people to depart with their money when other games like this on the market allow you to play for free.

I think the studio has some talent, but it needs some proper leadership and guidance. Also, whoever is in charge of the character designs needs to be shipped off and posted somewhere in north Alaska.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
This game could have never had PlayStation characters as the pitch started under their original leadership (Probablymonsters) from 2018 - 2023. I do think they can have special crossover events with characters going forward tho I'm not sure Sony will probably want their characters in the game if it doesn't find a proper core audience.

Also @Kokoloko are mics still turned off by default??

Reactions: Sircaw

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
This game could have never had PlayStation characters as the pitch started under their original leadership (Probablymonsters) from 2018 - 2023. I do think they can have special crossover events with characters going forward tho I'm not sure Sony will probably want their characters in the game if it doesn't find a proper core audience.

Perhaps not, but maybe it's something they should consider doing if they plan to continue down this road.

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
>They have to start working on a mode that's unique to Concord. The base 6 modes have all been done to death over the last 25 years. A payload mode isn't going to cut it.

That's my thought as well. Sure those are basic staples, but doesn't really set it apart from all the others.

I remember playing a lot of Team Fortress 2 back in the day, but never the free for all or team deathmatch. I enjoyed the the Payload the most because, although you have to stay alive and kill the other team, you have a meta goal to work towards. Just running around and shooting gets stale fast.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Perhaps not, but maybe it's something they should consider doing if they plan to continue down this road.
They should! I remember when we use to have these kinda things in the Uncharted Multiplayer.

Would be pretty cool.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Apparently the budget was smaller than we thought since ProbablyMonster apparently had raised 200 million to be split between Concord and two other games... Sony stepped in and aided them with resources until they bought them.

• Informative
Reactions: Sircaw and Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

I have my mic off anyway so not sure. I just unmute and press the touch button when the right team is there

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I have my mic off anyway so not sure. I just unmute and press the touch button when the right team is there
Ah I see! I was optes in for mic but funny enough only ever had other players with mic on when they playing from PC 😅.

Though I did once get matched with 4 PS5 teammates all using mics, and we instantly partied up and friended each other, since mic users were so rare lol.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It's a 6.5 from a gaas shill, you know it's actually like a 4/10
Cant trust an opinion from someone who thinks Phil Spencer is right lol.

I find all PVP only games have a longetivity problem personally.

But if I had to only play a FPS shooter PVP for a couple hours few times a week, Concord is as as good as the others for me.
I only got into Destiny, COD and a couple others so not an expert. For me COD, Destiny, Battlefield, Titanfall, Concord etc, all need a SP mode for me, but majority play just for PVP.

But gunplay wise its great. Certain characters have been nerfed a bit but still enjoying it

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Ah I see! I was optes in for mic but funny enough only ever had other players with mic on when they playing from PC 😅.

Though I did once get matched with 4 PS5 teammates all using mics, and we instantly partied up and friended each other, since mic users were so rare lol.

Yeah I ended up friending PS guys who had mic.
Im still a bit sick so Im gonna take the rest of the night off. Played 7 hours since prelaunch. But Hopefully Im well enough to play tomorrow. We gotta have an icon era game a few times lol.

Really would like a map vote option but Im enjoying all of them apart from 1. Never had anyone drop out of a match in 47 games, which is great.
Because the respawn is far away. But Im starting to think the respawn depends on if you team is winning? Sometimes Im really close, other times not.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Apparently the budget was smaller than we thought since ProbablyMonster apparently had raised 200 million to be split between Concord and two other games... Sony stepped in and aided them with resources until they bought them.
I dont think its an expensive game, despite the 8 years stuff. Ive tested enough games to know 8 years doesnt mean there was a actual decent sized team from the start.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
>They have to start working on a mode that's unique to Concord. The base 6 modes have all been done to death over the last 25 years. A payload mode isn't going to cut it.

That's my thought as well. Sure those are basic staples, but doesn't really set it apart from all the others.

I remember playing a lot of Team Fortress 2 back in the day, but never the free for all or team deathmatch. I enjoyed the the Payload the most because, although you have to stay alive and kill the other team, you have a meta goal to work towards. Just running around and shooting gets stale fast.

Yeah there should of been a couple of modes more. Looking forward to what the other modes are but they should of launched with it.

TBH Ive spent 90% of it on brawl, still getting use to swapping characters per opposition strategy and character combo. Even though I prefer Overrun but brawl has been fun

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Yeah I ended up friending PS guys who had mic.
Im still a bit sick so Im gonna take the rest of the night off. Played 7 hours since prelaunch. But Hopefully Im well enough to play tomorrow. We gotta have an icon era game a few times lol.

Really would like a map vote option but Im enjoying all of them apart from 1. Never had anyone drop out of a match in 47 games, which is great.
Because the respawn is far away. But Im starting to think the respawn depends on if you team is winning? Sometimes Im really close, other times not.
Sure! I guess I will be playing tomorrow night at some point since this game launches with these weird times 10am PST when everyone is at work 🙄. I dunno why it didn't just go with a 12AM PST

And I'm not sure I'll be home this weekend so will try to mess around a bit after work tomorrow

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I said it before, but if they had a game that had all the PlayStation heroes in it—Aloy, Kratos, Astrobot, Uncharted Crew, and so on—gave them all abilities and made maps of famous locations from those games, they would have a winner on their hands.

I don't understand how they can expect people to depart with their money when other games like this on the market allow you to play for free.

I think the studio has some talent, but it needs some proper leadership and guidance. Also, whoever is in charge of the character designs needs to be shipped off and posted somewhere in north Alaska.

Id like to see them do something with the PS characters in something like Powerstone.

I probably would of enjoyed an Playstation Heroes cast, would of certainly looked better and it might of ended up looking more like Marvel Rivals but Im also enjoying all the guns/moves in Concord.
Which probably wouldnt have been possible with PS characters. I mean Kratos could be Starchild, Nate could be Teo, I cant think of more at the top of my head lol

Last edited:
  • brain

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Concord has overwhelmingly positive reviews from most people who've played it including myself. Hell even that purple place is praising the gameplay now. It's only a certain group of right leaning people complaining now and these people have never put so much energy into negatively speaking on a game makes them very easy to point out. Steam reviews are overwhelmingly positive as well. Screw the haters.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Concord has overwhelmingly positive reviews from most people who've played it including myself. Hell even that purple place is praising the gameplay now. It's only a certain group of right leaning people complaining now and these people have never put so much energy into negatively speaking on a game makes them very easy to point out. Steam reviews are overwhelmingly positive as well. Screw the haters.

I mean I wouldnt consider myself left or right and Im not a fan of the DEI side of the industry, but I dont let things like this stop me from playing certain games. Society is so fucked I cant be bothered with all of it.

Now, Im not exactly playing Volcano High in my spare time but people would consider TLOU2 woke and I loved it.

But Star Wars Acolyte, that shit was awful to me, I couldn't bare watching it, for all the reasons people complain about and more. I tried

I can understand people sticking up for their principles. For me, this isnt a big enough deal, theres other battles worth fighting for.

I have a close friend who wont touch TLOU2, but loved the first game. Im like dude, you missing out on a great game, I didnt even notice they were talking about XYZ/woke stuff in the game

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023

Ah man. Imagine a smash version of PS historic characters but in a 3rd person like Marvel rival including 3rd party gaming characters, anime characters, tv show characters & Sony music artist all into 1 crazy hero shooter. That would be a bread winner make it F2P & charge for cosmetics + battlepass

I to don’t understand how people at Firewalk & Sony looked at concord & gave the thumbs up. Imagine how many time the game went through a quality check & everyone gave a thumbs up. There has to be some crazy story about poor leadership or power trip leads because the talent behind the studio make me question ain’t no way they thought this would have any sort of change, especially it being $40 when there competitors are F2P & pvp games in general are F2P