Alan Wake 2 is still not profitable | Other Remedy Financial Reports

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Making it an Epic Games exclusive on PC was a huge mistake and for consoles no physical was another mistake. If Epic fully funded it then no royalties so far isn't as bad as that sounds, everyone wants their games to do better but it won't cripple the company because they didn't fund the game's existence apparently. That said, it's all just weird, 12 years later a sequel to a game with a niche fanbase is fully funded by Epic to be an Epic store exclusive because they think that will convince people to switch to them?

Not only that, but what fanbase it has probably wanted to be playing as ALAN WAKE in the game, I know you still do but it's much reduced compared to the first game and the new character you play as isn't especially interesting. It also doesn't really play like the first game, it plays more like a Resident Evil game, tbh. The big draw is all the work that went into the visuals and ray-tracing and it's definitely a showstopper on PC if you have the gear but most PC gamers don't so you end up with this question of who this was even made for.
Doesn't play anything like a resident evil game they're actually fun lol

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
I like the series, but I'm not sure why everyone is so surprised. It's a niche sequel to a game from a decade ago, which was niche even back then.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
What? 😂 Indie games can have proper retail releases, but a game funded by EPIC GAMES can't??

You know it's not a matter of capabilities/feasibility, like many other decisions in the video game industry, and certainly not when it comes to Epic.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
You know it's not a matter of capabilities/feasibility, like many other decisions in the video game industry, and certainly not when it comes to Epic.
that sounds like a lame cop out to me....There was no logic at all to their decision and they suffered for it.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
that sounds like a lame cop out to me....There was no logic at all to their decision and they suffered for it.

I mean, by definition it's not a cop out answer, because I'm not in charge.
There is a logic, but it's a bad one. I think this image sums it up:

8a4b3ae88759134554f910efd41bca420869ad35ce8f886c4211da7460032661_1.jpg

This is the same type of self sabotage as when small and/or mid sized Japanese publishers that mostly make their sales(like 90%+) from Japan and are seeing shrinking sales on PS while their other competitor are seeing record sales as they add the Switch to their pipeline. You gotta sell your games where the people are and reach as many as you can. It's your job to make money as a publisher.

In the case of Alan Wake 2, physical console versions was an important part as well as Steam too(although we know why that's not happening).

Reactions: JAHGamer

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
i pretty much expect anything without a physical edition to underperform at this point

And while i appreciate what the game was trying to do i found most of it to be a chore to play and the story didn’t grab me at all

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
They lost me instantly without a disc, and now it’s too late. Will reevaluate if there is a beefed up pro patch.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
I don't understand the Remedy fucked up spiel. If Epic didn't throw money behind it, would it have been made? Possibly not or it could still be in development. Sometimes you have to accept a devil's bargain to get the game out the door. I'm really hoping the Max Payne remakes with Rockstar marketing behind them will give Remedy a commercial hit.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Not blaming no boxed release. They should’ve never had these expectations considering the brand. It’s Alan Wake… no one knows wtf that is.

Still… I don’t feel bad one bit. The way the industry circle jerked that game at the TGAs, the narcissism on display as a friggin game dev to be in a musical number. Massive cringe.

There was also a strong attempt to shove this down consumers throats and it was rejected. Marketing backfire.

With that said… day one on Max Payne remakes. Haven’t been a big fan of the AW universe gunplay at all. It’s no Max Payne that’s for sure.

Explosive Zombie

21 Jun 2022
I don't understand the Remedy fucked up spiel. If Epic didn't throw money behind it, would it have been made? Possibly not or it could still be in development. Sometimes you have to accept a devil's bargain to get the game out the door. I'm really hoping the Max Payne remakes with Rockstar marketing behind them will give Remedy a commercial hit.

If they can't make a profit on it should it have been made?

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Not yet. But they could have longer in the shitter without partnership. They took a risk and it hasn't paid off yet. The key word is yet.

They feel as a European PlatinumGames. Critically great games with a cult following but a commercial flop. The only real difference is PlatinumGames have released some shite games under work for hire.

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
They're not in an extreme worry imo, they tend to keep budgets small and plan for long-tail sales.

Control is another one that had a similar sales curve, and yet we're getting Control 2.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Yes, Control took almost 3 years to become profitable...Alan Wake 2 will take less than 1 year. Just cuz a game isn't profitable in it's first week doesn't mean it failed or shouldn't have been made.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Yes, Control took almost 3 years to become profitable...Alan Wake 2 will take less than 1 year. Just cuz a game isn't profitable in it's first week doesn't mean it failed or shouldn't have been made.
First week is a bit generous