Alan Wake 2 is still not profitable | Other Remedy Financial Reports

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
For that people shill the picture is clear to me.

The game didn’t have a physical release due financials… the physical costs more and give less revenue to pay the development costs.
Indie games are doing physical release...that's not a proper excuse

Reactions: Johnic

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
They're not in an extreme worry imo, they tend to keep budgets small and plan for long-tail sales.

Control is another one that had a similar sales curve, and yet we're getting Control 2.

Need to see receipts. It looks expensive. Control didn’t look cheap either.

Remedy took money from Asian investors too. I’m sure they’d prefer it done well. Sales haven’t been said to be good right?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
so AAA devs don't have funds, but tiny indie devs have. brilliant logic. magnificent.
Remedy knows they potential sales…. they know they development budget… so they know how much they nedded to sell to cover it.

So they made a financial decision to not release a physical version because it gives them less… so they had to sell more with physical.

Do you understand logic now?

And yes AAA development needs a minimum millions sold to recover costs… and the physical can indeed be a deal breaker if you are in the situation you don’t sell enough at launch to cover it but having only digital sales can help to meet that target faster.

It is not about the ability or not to have physicals but the business worth of it to reach the targets.

Of course Indies is hard to have these situations with their dev small dev budget.

Big part of why game prices didn’t rise in two decades even with inflation is because digital happened.

Last edited:

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
I like Remedy in general since the Max Payne days and fan of the first AW, even though I waited over a decade for the sequel not having a physical was a slap in the face. Yes trying to force digital gives slightly better profit margins but I am going to wait for the physical and I assume many others did as well.

The game didn’t have a physical release due financials… the physical costs more and give less revenue to pay the development costs.
Some studios/publishers underestimate having it in brick and mortar (or Webshops) on display, it's additional ''free'' marketing alongside with the accolades it received. Especially since Remedy is not mainstream appealing, it needs it even more.

Need to see receipts. It looks expensive. Control didn’t look cheap either.

Remedy took money from Asian investors too. I’m sure they’d prefer it done well. Sales haven’t been said to be good right?
They can work with tight budgets, quite effective, found it a shame Sony wasn't interested in picking them up when they were on a spree.
Their style would be a good addition to the roster also for PS production and benefit from Sony's marketing.
But Control was on a 30 million budget and claimed 75 (20 to marketing) million for AW2.

Edit on the Asian part yes; Basically they let publishers/investors fund their projects, like Rockstar for Max Payne remakes, or earn revenue making the SP mode for the Koreans with Crossfire. Tencent is funding their shooter Project Vanguard.

portfolioq22024.png

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
More here.

They said they recouped over 80% of the development costs… so they will probably be in profit this year already.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I like Remedy in general since the Max Payne days and fan of the first AW, even though I waited over a decade for the sequel not having a physical was a slap in the face. Yes trying to force digital gives slightly better profit margins but I am going to wait for the physical and I assume many others did as well.

Some studios/publishers underestimate having it in brick and mortar (or Webshops) on display, it's additional ''free'' marketing alongside with the accolades it received. Especially since Remedy is not mainstream appealing, it needs it even more.

They can work with tight budgets, quite effective, found it a shame Sony wasn't interested in picking them up when they were on a spree.
Their style would be a good addition to the roster also for PS production and benefit from Sony's marketing.
But Control was on a 30 million budget and claimed 75 (20 to marketing) million for AW2.

Edit on the Asian part yes; Basically they let publishers/investors fund their projects, like Rockstar for Max Payne remakes, or earn revenue making the SP mode for the Koreans with Crossfire. Tencent is funding their shooter Project Vanguard.

portfolioq22024.png

I agree with Remedy being worth purchase. I remember the situation because it mirrored independent Bungie before Sony acquisition; including the Chinese lenders. Still does.

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
Anyone who watched how bad the last 2 years were for nearly all acquired game studios and publishers should have the common sense to not advocate for more of the bullshit that harmed game devs and didn't benefit players in the least.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Anyone who watched how bad the last 2 years were for nearly all acquired game studios and publishers should have the common sense to not advocate for more of the bullshit that harmed game devs and didn't benefit players in the least.

I’m so glad the “acquisition race” is over and the advocating for it is over.

People wanting sony to buy EA, Take Two, Square Enix, CDPR, and said jim ryan and Hermen should be fired for letting Microsoft buy activision was just incredibly dumb.

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
I’m so glad the “acquisition race” is over and the advocating for it is over.

People wanting sony to buy EA, Take Two, Square Enix, CDPR, and said jim ryan and Hermen should be fired for letting Microsoft buy activision was just incredibly dumb.
It's over while interest rates are high.

Once they lower the madness will start again because money becomes cheap.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Voke, do you say that because it Woke? :unsure:
culture wars has brain rotted you to the point where you can’t even separate it from my name. some lore for you, it’s an abbreviation of my actual name.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
You did deserve that comment. Alan Wake 2 has reviewed well and you just went in with a condensing comment on someone who liked the game they played and recommended it.
It’s almost obsessive, it’s not the first time he’s made that comment.

Since you are here I want to comment on what you said about Epic. AW2 was in a bidding war between publishers, and Epic won. So obviously they keep the game on their PC store. Anytime someone rolls their eyes about that, they are just enabling steam to continue dominating the market.

People are allowed to compete how ever they like, especially if they are the ones who funded the damn thing lol. Don’t bite the hand that feeds you…. You seem to be one of the few posters that understands.

Reactions: Dick Jones