Alan Wake 2 is still not profitable | Other Remedy Financial Reports

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
You did deserve that comment. Alan Wake 2 has reviewed well and you just went in with a condensing comment on someone who liked the game they played and recommended it.
It was a Joke, Voke.

But now I have to know, Vokenburger? Vokenstein? Vokenhimer?

• haha
Reactions: Kokoloko

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
It’s almost obsessive, it’s not the first time he’s made that comment.

Since you are here I want to comment on what you said about Epic. AW2 was in a bidding war between publishers, and Epic won. So obviously they keep the game on their PC store. Anytime someone rolls their eyes about that, they are just enabling steam to continue dominating the market.

People are allowed to compete how ever they like, especially if they are the ones who funded the damn thing lol. Don’t bite the hand that feeds you…. You seem to be one of the few posters that understands.
I'm praying with the current Rockstar prestige backing them with the Max Payne remakes, it will shoot Remedy to top developers in the eyes of the buying public that their games must be bought. Being the critical darling isn't enough to keep the lights on, if not enough people are buying.

Reactions: voke

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Consumers rejected Alan Wake 2. Not critics. You have to ask yourself which is more important? It’s clearly consumers.. and why they rejected it should be important for Remedy. I don’t think it is the game being woke… it’s Alan Wake — no one cares.

They tried very hard with marketing it like I mentioned earlier, the TGA circle jerk for AW2 was one of the most embarrassing displays of narcissism ever to be seen in the industry. Funnier because Remedy clearly hasn’t earned it either.

Sam Lake may have been the face of Max Payne but since the TGA’s my opinion on remedy has changed big time.

Marketing backfired to say the least.

Reactions: ToTTenTranz

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
Consumers rejected Alan Wake 2. Not critics. You have to ask yourself which is more important? It’s clearly consumers.. and why they rejected it should be important for Remedy. I don’t think it is the game being woke… it’s Alan Wake — no one cares.
The first Alan Wake scored much worse and was a better game. The second game scored way better and was a worse game. It isn't because it's "Alan Wake". Many cared. But the direction that Remedy took the game sucks donkey, especially having multiple leads, characters from previous games that don't match the characters in the new game, and the narcissistic Sam Lake story*.

*IMO

Reactions: ToTTenTranz

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
This is not some rocket science, The game is fucking boring and the writers got high of the smell of their own farts. Thank god for the refund on epic because I would prefer to burn money than give it to remedy after playing the first hour.

• fire
Reactions: rofif and KvallyX

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
It's not a good game.
It's boring to play,
Nothing is happening,
Half of the game you play as some unwanted lady in Alan Wake game who is only there to be black (honestly tho)
Lame jump scares even in late levels
Runs like shit on ps5. 0 (ZERO) care put into most popular console version. Terrible grainy fsr2 with lame low res, no rt, no fallback so reflections dont exist at all. bad performance.
Story GOES NOWHERE. Ending is terrible.
Stuff happens to Saga and then is resolved. She lost nothing.
you pretend to be a detective
You pretend to be a writer
Very repetitive
Talking heads in saga mind place... like A LOT
No physical release on release. Fuck them. I am not buying this shit again NOW after I finished it

Good sound. Nice looking forests and old people home.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KvallyX

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

They tried very hard with marketing it like I mentioned earlier, the TGA circle jerk for AW2 was one of the most embarrassing displays of narcissism ever to be seen in the industry. Funnier because Remedy clearly hasn’t earned it either.

Sam Lake may have been the face of Max Payne but since the TGA’s my opinion on remedy has changed big time.

Marketing backfired to say the least.
Consumers rejected Alan Wake 2? How much did you expected it to sell?
Alan Walk 2 is the fastest selling Remedy game ever.
The first game sold what? 3 million? I know combined with DLC it reached 4.5 million by own dev words.

People maybe take the Remedy financials as negative but they already covered over 80% of the costs with Alan Wake 2 while Alan Wake took years to be profitable.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
IIRC the first game was already pretty niche unlike Max Payne.
The second one has high-ish production values (though some or most of it seems to be paid by Nvidia to get ads from Digital Foundry), but it's not less niche. It's a weird, kafkian game that is hard to get into.
Remedy hiring Sweet Baby Inc and Hit Detection for consultancy probably didn't help for the games' word-of-mouth success, as the recurrent racial commentary in the game is so on the nose that it takes immersion away.

But if I had to guess, Remedy's biggest mistake was to make the game exclusive to the Epic Games Store on PC. That probably meant almost no PC sales at all.
Then no physical release on consoles, meaning no gamers could buy this and then lend it to their friends.. meaning even less people buying the game on console.

So this was never going to be a super popular game anyways, and then Remedy took a few bad decisions. I wonder if the game will ever make money.

Though I think Remedy is fine for now, especially considering they're working on a Max Payne remake. They can still botch Max Payne if they double down on SBI "inputs" and remake Max Payne for mOdErN aUdIeNcEs, but they had to be complete idiots to go that way.

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
Consumers rejected Alan Wake 2? How much did you expected it to sell?
Alan Walk 2 is the fastest selling Remedy game ever.
The first game sold what? 3 million? I know combined with DLC it reached 4.5 million by own dev words.

People maybe take the Remedy financials as negative but they already covered over 80% of the costs with Alan Wake 2 while Alan Wake took years to be profitable.
And the game still sucked. I don't care if they lose a billion or make a billion.