Alanah Pearce: "The Game Awards is bulllshit. It's a popularity contest"

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The Oscars aren’t a popularity contest. The Academy doesn’t give a single fuck about box office numbers. If they did MCU films would be winning best picture every year.
A popularity contest doesn't mean they award the best selling games. Means that the people who vote chose the ones they prefer. So the most popular ones among the people who vote are the winners.

In the Doritos Awards who votes is the gaming press from around the world, who every year play more games than the movies that academy members can watch.

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
All these opinion bloggers, insiders, influencers, etc. are getting on my nerves. She's the first one to show up at events like this. Last year she was in the audience again. David Jaffee is always complaining, but at least he's consistent and stays away from such events (or isn't even invited).

Most people don't care who wins anyway, they just watch it because of the world premieres or whether some clown sneaks back on stage to say some nonsense. Anyway. Of course it depends on popularity, otherwise the title with the most reviews and highest MC could simply be awarded.

Even the complete fan vote will not decide on the best title, but rather who can motivate the most fans. When Honkai Star Rail appears, tens of millions will surely use it again to be gifted with free pulls when Mihoyo wins.

For someone who has been involved in the VG business for so long, she says a shocking amount of stupid stuff.

Reactions: Zzero

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
she's a writer for sony santa monica but she didn't work on Ragnarok.
She did do something for ragnarok, something to do with an accessibility setting in the game and maybe some UI/tooltips type shit. But her main writing job seems to be on Cory's space game now.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly
D

Deleted member 223

It's a video game industry politics contest lately. "Anybody but a Sony game" is a thing now, not just a one off, but a well established pattern. SIE as the market leader should be crafting a strategy to deal with MS underhanded influence in this forum. For starters, the venue and choice for the event should not be owned by MS. The media that plays politics so as not to piss Microsoft, as a whole, is a much more encompassing dilemma that is more than just money and involves a well crafted marketing strategy to deal with but that permeates almost all gaming coverage, these awards included. Certainly the marketing personal at PS campus currently can't get it done. Under current personal things have gotten to this state... hence.

Last edited by a moderator:

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
She did do something for ragnarok, something to do with an accessibility setting in the game and maybe some UI/tooltips type shit. But her main writing job seems to be on Cory's space game now.
hmm i thought she wasn't even credited in the game? and that she said she wasn't working on gow r?

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Her reasoning comes across as faintly elitist to me. She knows what a good game is (Dredge) but no one else does because they're all dumb-dumbs who fall for marketing hype. And her other major point in this is that games she thinks deserve to be awarded are not listed as candidates. I know good games too, but I'm not so self-centred as to think my tastes should be reflected by an annual awards show.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Her reasoning comes across as faintly elitist to me. She knows what a good game is (Dredge) but no one else does because they're all dumb-dumbs who fall for marketing hype. And her other major point in this is that games she thinks deserve to be awarded are not listed as candidates. I know good games too, but I'm not so self-centred as to think my tastes should be reflected by an annual awards show.
She's just pandering to her viewership.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Hypocritical for an “influencer” who worked hype events in the recent past to bitch about an awards show like she is, isn’t it?

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Very well stated as well as excellent avatar.

Sorry @Sircaw , it's true.