All insomniac leaks including Wolverine cast, Venom game, all leaked games and budgets.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Sounds like he took this straight from Xbots playbook

It sold like 5 million copies in a few days? Seems pretty sustainable to me.

What is the alternative to a "one off" game? Just GaaS right? And of course those are so cheap to produce and support. What a stupid opinion.

I'm honestly kinda starting to burn out on this stuff.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

What is the alternative to a "one off" game? Just GaaS right? And of course those are so cheap to produce and support. What a stupid opinion.

just a reminder that paul tassi simps for a corporation that has dropped sales metrics in favor of "engagement" because none of their shit sells, of course he would find it unsustainable

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
'Gutted' doesn't mean reduced to zero. What staff they have is a shadow of what was formerly present prior to the reductions in 2021, and communication the past couple of years is proof of it IMO.
The reality is that, as they also did in other SIE shared departments, what they did during these years has been to unify the different local teams they had working separatedly and partly uncoordinated (mostly split into SIE America, EU and JP teams) into a global team with a unified, shared mission, sharing talent and knowledge across the globe to take coordinated actions.

According to their words, to do it in marketing as Apple does: with a global marketing message slightly localized, instead of having totally different campaigns. That optimizes the costs and helps them make bigger campaigns reaching more people.

As a result, during the Jimbo era got record numbers in social media, youtube and also in hardware and softare sales and revenue/profit.

They also did the same with theid 2nd party publishing/XDEV teams: originally each one of their 3 regional branches reported to a local gamedev team and worked intependently. They now have each one their own office and are coordinated in a global team, which btw is growing like their gamedev teams.

Also, do you have any source to back that they reduced their marketing team? Because since they are getting better marketing results now I'd say that if somehing they may have increased it instead, as they have been doing this years in their internal gamedev and 2nd party publishing teams.

Sony is perfectly fine with their "one off" games, it's a really successful and profitable business for them. But it's true that generation after generation the budgets keep growing to a point that they are getting maybe too high (but still not an issue to Sony, but is making them riskier). There's also a market trend where revenue from game sales is being replaced by addons revenue (dlc/iap/passes), leading to think that in the long term may be an issue.

What Sony is doing is, in addition to continue growing their 'one off' lineup, to also increase their bet in GaaS with other games made mainly by other teams, plus to get extra revenues and fanbase with pc ports made by other teams, and tv show/movies adaptations by other teams, plus smaller 'one off' secondary side projects made by other smaller teams, plus in the future mobile games made by other teams. They also pushed secondary areas like accessories relasing a ton of cool stuff plus the game subs with the PS plus overhaul to get extra revenue per user.

The general idea is to generate more additional revenue and profit with more things in all areas to reduce the risk of the big projects in cases where one of them tanks hard or gets cancelled.

Their strategy so far is working very well, they are being very successful and are having a great grow in any area. Sony isn't worried at all: the opposite, they often post record numbers in almost every area.

Mobile gaming is the only area where they still have to start to grow hard, SIE has a plan for mobile gaming and are working on it but will need more time to show results. Sony is a global top 10-20 mobile gaming publisher but with games from other divisions, not SIE.

Pretty likely the mission of the next SIE CEO will be to continue growing in all their existing areas but to specially grow in mobile with both native games and cloud gaming.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Xmen... hell yeah.

Wolverine 2026... Booo. Id rather they dont do Venom and speed up Wolverine

Next Ratchet... 2029 booo but I guess it gives the series some breathing space.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Wolverine 2026... Booo. Id rather they dont do Venom and speed up Wolverine
It's easy money though. Miles Morales had a budget of around 150M. If we assume 150M for Venom (probably less since it's not cross-gen), and it sells 10M units (which is not far-fetched), we're talking about 100M profit at least, going by their estimates for Miles Morales. These are 100M net profit btw.

Kmzm2T9.jpeg

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It's easy money though. Miles Morales had a budget of around 150M. If we assume 150M for Venom (probably less since it's not cross-gen), and it sells 10M units (which is not far-fetched), we're talking about 100M profit at least, going by their estimates for Miles Morales. These are 100M net profit btw.

Kmzm2T9.jpeg
Makes sense financially but my preference would be more full sized AAA games

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Well, they already dropped all the multiplayer / GaaS crap, so lets take the win we got.
They didn’t drop all of them. Lol Helldivers, Concord, Fairgames, and the Horizon multiplayer games are still coming. They also own Bungie.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I see tassi is well at work doing damage control. Pathetic excuse for a human.

Must be miserable, his life. Constantly lying to himself to make himself feel better.

Yes, Sony's business model, that earns them tens of millions, is not profitable but GP, a failing service with shit games surely is the future.

What a troglodyte.

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Pc gamers are mostly a GaaS type of gamers, they play Roblox, WoW, Minecraft, Fortnite, GTA online (this is probably 90% of PC gaming these days).

They are the ones that showed that you can bill monthly for a game (Ultima Online was like $10 a month back in the late 90s!), make insane money selling cometic add-ons in games like Team Fortress 2 hats.

Everything that could break gaming in on this platform, but hey they get free online play 🤡.

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I just learned that major websites didn't cover the leak too much to protect the Insomniac employees work and info. That's good.

Of course Era is extremely pissed about this and the thread about it is bigger than the actual leaks 🤡

They want it front and center on every website to damage Sony and Insomniac as much as possible before Christmas.

They hide behind "double standard in game journalism" but the thread is full of xbots so it's pretty obvious why they feel that way.
Don't worry brotha, the next time we retaliate, it won't be pretty. xbotz and it's filthy trash evil incarnate slaves will be massacred till they beg for death 🤣.

24 Jun 2022
I just learned that major websites didn't cover the leak too much to protect the Insomniac employees work and info. That's good.

Of course Era is extremely pissed about this and the thread about it is bigger than the actual leaks 🤡

They want it front and center on every website to damage Sony and Insomniac as much as possible before Christmas.

They hide behind "double standard in game journalism" but the thread is full of xbots so it's pretty obvious why they feel that way.

Losers like TigerFish were as soon as Post #3, trying to lie to themselves that it was just "any normal leak" to feel comfortable talking about the leaked stuff. Never mind this stuff is coming from a ransomware attack, which is illegal, and involves extortion & blackmail, also illegal, of private personal employee data.

So I wouldn't be surprised if him, Shoot, Boblowbob, fiendcode, Darkmage (ran to Reset because it's a safe space for Xbox fans like him), Mauler X (same), Riky (I think they post there), UraMallas etc. are the ones particularly pissed.

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Losers like TigerFish were as soon as Post #3, trying to lie to themselves that it was just "any normal leak" to feel comfortable talking about the leaked stuff. Never mind this stuff is coming from a ransomware attack, which is illegal, and involves extortion & blackmail, also illegal, of private personal employee data.

So I wouldn't be surprised if him, Shoot, Boblowbob, fiendcode, Darkmage (ran to Reset because it's a safe space for Xbox fans like him), Mauler X (same), Riky (I think they post there), UraMallas etc. are the ones particularly pissed.
So many places have become compromised but Reset really shows a stark contrast between when it started and now.

It was started by many PlayStation fans and gamers that would avoid console wars as much as possible... Now it's completely dominated by Xbox fanboys an employees, with negative Xbox talk silenced and PlayStation discussion forced into one thread due to fear.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Im glad Neogaf has really went a 180 since I (and im sure alot of you too!) were banned off of there. Now threads there almost look like threads here lol.

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters