Amazon USA: The PS5 disc drive it's outselling all Xbox consoles

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
The comparison was only made due the surge of PS5 disc drive sales due PS5 Pro.

Yeah? Still don’t see the surprise the digital model doesn’t have many disc drive sales. The option is there yes but the PS5 with disc is there too.

PS5 pro is digital only so the disc drive sales makes more sense.

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
Starship Troopers GIF

• thisistheway
Reactions: Bryank75

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Yeah? Still don’t see the surprise the digital model doesn’t have many disc drive sales. The option is there yes but the PS5 with disc is there too.

PS5 pro is digital only so the disc drive sales makes more sense.
Not sure what you saying here...

The attachable PS5 Disc drive was made to actual Digital PS5.
So you will only buy it to use with the actual Digital PS5... you can't use it in the PS5 with disc.

Mat give you the context that people that brought the actual Digital PS5 is not buying the attachable PS5 Disc drive and it sales are very low.
That you say it is obvious... I see here you think if you brought the actual Digital PS5 you don't care about the disc drive but there exceptions... or people that realize they need the disc drive after that is the reason to attachable PS5 Disc drive exists.

People is saying that attachable PS5 Disc drive sales are rising due the PS5 Pro digital that well is weird.
Like you said people that buys the PS5 Pro digital will trend to not need the disc drive.

Mat said he will be watching due the attach rate of attachable PS5 Disc drive compared with PS5 Digital is very low.

I read his comment like questioning why people should believe that the attachable PS5 Disc drive sales will rise due PS5 Pro digital?
Like attachable PS5 Disc drive sales are very low due PS5 digital owners not buying it... so why people believe that it will be better with PS5 Pro digital?

I understand your point that there is no PS5.
I understand his point and why he shared the attach rate of attachable PS5 Disc drive.... se seems to think that this rise in sales for attachable PS5 Disc drive is probably not a big deal and things will continue with low attach rate.

Well I have a PS5 Digital and see no point in the disc drive to be fair.
But I see it as a good option for these that want... like BC.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Sony is going to make more of them and they aren't required for the PS5 pro to work

Is Sony going to make a lot more of them though?

The PS5 Pro is very clearly a push for turning Playstation into digital only. A means to get Sony to receive all the distribution money from all Playstation games ever sold.

If this is their strategy, they don't really care about making a lot of detachable optical drives. Unless you're an European paying 120€ special pay pig price for that thing, where the margins are so high Sony is happy to keep selling it.

The price for the drive in Europe is so high that it's still a lot cheaper to buy it from an American scalper than it is to buy it here.

Reactions: Bryank75 and arvfab

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Not sure what you saying here...

The attachable PS5 Disc drive was made to actual Digital PS5.
So you will only buy it to use with the actual Digital PS5... you can't use it in the PS5 with disc.

Mat give you the context that people that brought the actual Digital PS5 is not buying the attachable PS5 Disc drive and it sales are very low.
That you say it is obvious... I see here you think if you brought the actual Digital PS5 you don't care about the disc drive but there exceptions... or people that realize they need the disc drive after that is the reason to attachable PS5 Disc drive exists.

People is saying that attachable PS5 Disc drive sales are rising due the PS5 Pro digital that well is weird.
Like you said people that buys the PS5 Pro digital will trend to not need the disc drive.

Mat said he will be watching due the attach rate of attachable PS5 Disc drive compared with PS5 Digital is very low.

I read his comment like questioning why people should believe that the attachable PS5 Disc drive sales will rise due PS5 Pro digital?
Like attachable PS5 Disc drive sales are very low due PS5 digital owners not buying it... so why people believe that it will be better with PS5 Pro digital?

I understand your point that there is no PS5.
I understand his point and why he shared the attach rate of attachable PS5 Disc drive.... se seems to think that this rise in sales for attachable PS5 Disc drive is probably not a big deal and things will continue with low attach rate.

Well I have a PS5 Digital and see no point in the disc drive to be fair.
But I see it as a good option for these that want... like BC.

It’s pretty simple to understand.

I know the disc add on was made for the digital model. The thing is Sony also made a disc model PS5. That alone made the add on for digital sales low since if you wanted the disc drive you have a full console with it already you can buy. It’s also much cheaper to just get the PS5 disc model than buy the digital PS5 and the add on. Further lessening the disc drive sales.

With PS5 pro there’s only one digital model. There is no physical version. So that makes disc drive sales much higher since those who have physical disc have no choice but to buy it if they want the PS5 pro.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It’s pretty simple to understand.

I know the disc add on was made for the digital model. The thing is Sony also made a disc model PS5. That alone made the add on for digital sales low since if you wanted the disc drive you have a full console with it already you can buy. It’s also much cheaper to just get the PS5 disc model than buy the digital PS5 and the add on. Further lessening the disc drive sales.

With PS5 pro there’s only one digital model. There is no physical version. So that makes disc drive sales much higher since those who have physical disc have no choice but to buy it if they want the PS5 pro.
Understood.

I'm still thinking like Mat... this is not a consumer rise in sales at all.
Most people that buys a PS5 Pro won't buy a disc driver to it just like PS5 Digital doesn't do it.
Scalpers are betting in the opposite.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Understood.

I'm still thinking like Mat... this is not a consumer rise in sales at all.
Most people that buys a PS5 Pro won't buy a disc driver to it just like PS5 Digital doesn't do it.
Scalpers are betting in the opposite.

Well if any current PS5 owner with a physical library wants a pro they’re going to need the disc drive.

Only those with the PS5 slim disc model won’t need to buy it.

Reactions: arvfab

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Is Sony going to make a lot more of them though?

The PS5 Pro is very clearly a push for turning Playstation into digital only. A means to get Sony to receive all the distribution money from all Playstation games ever sold.

If this is their strategy, they don't really care about making a lot of detachable optical drives. Unless you're an European paying 120€ special pay pig price for that thing, where the margins are so high Sony is happy to keep selling it.

The price for the drive in Europe is so high that it's still a lot cheaper to buy it from an American scalper than it is to buy it here.

You're a fanboy who creates agendas rather than follows the natural path of facts.

They're selling these drives for 80+ depending on region as you said, and they probably cost them 15-20 dollars to make and distribute.

These are pure profit, but yeah they won't keep making them because of "agenda" "conspiracy"

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Consoles won't sell out, so there won't be scalpers. Cerny said only 15% of the PS4 consoles sold were Pro.
But Sony won't manufacture 15 million PS5 pro next quarter. They will like ship 500k. That will definitely be sold out despite people raging over the price.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
But Sony won't manufacture 15 million PS5 pro next quarter. They will like ship 500k. That will definitely be sold out despite people raging over the price.
PS4 sold around almost 120M, only 15% of that were PS4 Pros. So that's around 15-18M on its lifetime. Not in the PS4 launch quarter.

So I assume they expect to sell around 15M+ PS5 Pro on its lifetime. For the launch quarter, maybe yes, as you mention something around 500k, maximum 1M.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
PS4 sold around almost 120M, only 15% of that were PS4 Pros. So that's around 15-18M on its lifetime. Not in the PS4 launch quarter.

So I assume they expect to sell around 15M+ PS5 Pro on its lifetime. For the launch quarter, maybe yes, as you mention something around 500k, maximum 1M.
oh, math genius over here

kanye west genius GIF