Amazon USA: The PS5 disc drive it's outselling all Xbox consoles

31 Aug 2024
The fact that Sony isn’t shipping the PS5 Pro with a disc drive tells you they also are moving away from physical media are game publishers even going to bother making physical copies of their games at this point

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The fact that Sony isn’t shipping the PS5 Pro with a disc drive tells you they also are moving away from physical media are game publishers even going to bother making physical copies of their games at this point
They better...

Still a lot of people that buy their games that way. It also offers needed competition... Games are often cheaper, especially at launch in stores.

31 Aug 2024
They better...

Still a lot of people that buy their games that way. It also offers needed competition... Games are often cheaper, especially at launch in stores.
More people buy digital than physical look at Beat Buy they removed their DVD/BluRay section it’ll be a matter of time before they remove physical copies of games from their stores also physical media wastes plastic which is technically bad for the environment

Last edited:

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
The PS5 with the disc is still being sold and is the main selling console. I don’t know why people are acting like the PS5 pro is a new generation and the only PS5 available. Sony is not stopping physical media. As dumb as selling pro without a disc drive is.

The pro is for niche audience. With a $700 price it will be even more niche than the PS4 pro. Hopefully this will the last generation of pro consoles. They’re really not needed.

31 Aug 2024
The PS5 with the disc is still being sold and is the main selling console. I don’t know why people are acting like the PS5 pro is a new generation and the only PS5 available. Sony is not stopping physical media. As dumb as selling pro without a disc drive is.

The pro is for niche audience. With a $700 price it will be even more niche than the PS4 pro. Hopefully this will the last generation of pro consoles. They’re really not needed.
Let’s see if the PS6 ships with a disc drive that will be the main indicator

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
I don't even know what a PS6 Pro would be like. Lol. I feel like framerate target and resolution will pretty much be nearing its peak with the PS6 cause we already are getting the jump up with quality mode going from 4k 30fps to 4k 60fps with the PS5 Pro. Don't know what more juice can be squeeze out to justify a Pro model for PS6. However, Sony being a corporation if the data still stand showing that they can still sell to that 10-15 percent with a pro model and can sell the hardware for a profit out of the gate then they're going to do it.

31 Aug 2024
I don't even know what a PS6 Pro would be like. Lol. I feel like framerate target and resolution will pretty much be nearing its peak with the PS6 cause we already are getting the jump up with quality mode going from 4k 30fps to 4k 60fps with the PS5 Pro. Don't know what more juice can be squeeze out to justify a Pro model for PS6. However, Sony being a corporation if the data still stand showing that they can still sell to that 10-15 percent with a pro model and can sell the hardware for a profit out of the gate then they're going to do it.
Let’s be honest besides Sony first party devs how many 3rd party devs will take full advantage of the PS5 Pro specs for their games

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark

Wow nice man... I think I'll get one during 2024 or well depending on if there will be a newer version of it or Sony won't make a new one and that's the only one to get. I mean not that I do buy physical games, movies, anime etc. but I might do it with movies/anime one day and I might have some friends that prefer to buy physical games and bring them with them so we can play that game and therefore so is it a good idea to have a Blu-Ray disc drive although I don't really use it... But hey it's still nice to have one tbh! (y)

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Let’s see if the PS6 ships with a disc drive that will be the main indicator

Launching a new console without a disc drive will be a bad idea. It’s already bad asking PS5 physical owners to pay more if they want to continue playing their games on the PS5 pro. But at least the pro is not required. There’s still the PS5. Going into a new generation doing that is basically a artificial price increase at launch.

Reactions: arvfab

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022

Each generation a pro console will make less sense. This generation a lot of games are already 4K and we have 60fps. People want both at high quality but why not just wait till next generation for that? Games already look good. Especially first party. Better ray tracing and lighting is nice but not something badly needed for PS5 3 1/2 years into the generation.

I downsample PS5 games so I already get the sharpest and cleanest IQ possible. No shimmering or aliasing whatsoever.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023

Pro consoles are here to stay. At least with Sony. As the Generation goes on, games get more graphically intense, and game engines get more demanding. Also. This is not the PS1/PS3 era anymore. Console generations are getting longer and longer. This Generation will last 8 years, the longest ever. When the PS4 Pro launched. Mark Cerny said that there was data that gamers move to PC by mid Gen. So they’re creating Pro consoles to keep there core base from leaving their ecosystem.

Reactions: YeezyDude

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Each generation a pro console will make less sense. This generation a lot of games are already 4K and we have 60fps. People want both at high quality but why not just wait till next generation for that? Games already look good. Especially first party. Better ray tracing and lighting is nice but not something badly needed for PS5 3 1/2 years into the generation.

I downsample PS5 games so I already get the sharpest and cleanest IQ possible. No shimmering or aliasing whatsoever.
Not true. Not all games are 4K. You’re already starting to see games go back down to near 1080p. Especially UE5 games.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Seems like a bad item to scalp if it is really scalpers.

Scalpers getting in on this this early is just giving Sony an early heads up to have more disc drives ready for the pro launch.

Last edited:

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
Launching a new console without a disc drive will be a bad idea. It’s already bad asking PS5 physical owners to pay more if they want to continue playing their games on the PS5 pro. But at least the pro is not required. There’s still the PS5. Going into a new generation doing that is basically a artificial price increase at launch.
Maybe the current drive will still be compatible and that will help some people but I really doubt PS6 will come with a bluray drive.

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark
Pro consoles are here to stay. At least with Sony. As the Generation goes on, games get more graphically intense, and game engines get more demanding. Also. This is not the PS1/PS3 era anymore. Console generations are getting longer and longer. This Generation will last 8 years, the longest ever. When the PS4 Pro launched. Mark Cerny said that there was data that gamers move to PC by mid Gen. So they’re creating Pro consoles to keep there core base from leaving their ecosystem.
Exactly... And who knows but I think in the future so will there maybe be something better than a Pro model... So maybe so will they call it "Pro Max" or "Ultra" and maybe so will the PlayStation consoles become even more PC-like and be more upgradeable. But yeah if people think that there won't be a Pro version of the PS6, PS7, PS8 etc. so will they be very surprised.

Anyway... I'm excited and happy that the PS5 Pro exists and will get one to show Sony that there is people who want it and want the Pro models to exist in the future and that mid-generation refreshes are needed and I hope stuff will only get better so that the PS6 Pro is a even bigger jump from the regular PS6 compared to the PS4 Pro/PS5 Pro.

So yeah the people who don't want it can just keep their regular PS5 but I want something better so I've to get it... But I still want to wait and see if I'll buy a Blu-Ray disc drive or not as I want to think about if I need it or not as my current PS5 has a Blu-Ray disc drive so if it's the same one as the 2020 one so does it seem unnecessary so far but I might get one eventually... Anyway the PS5 Pro is out in 56 days so the wait won't be very long guys! (y)

Reactions: DocRay

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022

Games get more demanding and developers will figure out a way to make them run on the PS5. It’s not like the PS5 is weak. It’s a more modern powerful hardware than PS4 was.

Andrew House said that about PC as the reason for the PS4 pro. It makes no sense now since Sony puts all their games on PC. There is no keeping their main base on PS5 with a pro. You have some people saying they have a powerful PC they can play Sony games on. That they don’t need a PS5 at all.

Not true. Not all games are 4K. You’re already starting to see games go back down to near 1080p. Especially UE5 games.

I didn’t say all games were 4K. Renconstructed upscaled games can look nice.

Better optimization is possible. UE5 is a commercial engine. Bespoke engines are always better tailored to games and why I prefer them.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don’t think the decision to have a single device and sell an attachable drive is due they moving from physical to digital.

It is probably more about to optimize production line and make it cheap to mount PS5s / PS5 Pros.

They will really be moving to digital when they stopped to print most games in physical form (they basically prints all games) and when that happen the Disc attachment production will be phased out.

But while they are producing the Disc attachment they are supporting physical like always.