Ampere 2023: PS5 22.5m (+65% YoY), Series 7.6m (-15% YoY), Switch 16.4m (-18% YoY)

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I said a long time ago that this generation could be a 3:1 or worse and people laughed at me and said that was impossible.

We tried to say in 2020 this generation was worst than Xbox One to Xbots but they believed in the "bullz word was never so good for Xbox".
I never saw it coming, I thought the consoles would be closer in sales if anything (I figured no real next-gen console would have a clear performance benefit over the other, on that I was right and it got me canned from neogaf).

What I did not see happen is the series S outselling the X, and this is a real disaster with games running at sub hd resolutions )480p, 630p anyone?) on a regular basis, this is horrible.

Anyway, good that they get destroyed and their "only" problem is their games output, not so different DRM, no bad press (compared to what they deserve)... just bad games to destroy their reputation.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I never saw it coming, I thought the consoles would be closer in sales if anything (I figured no real next-gen console would have a clear performance benefit over the other, on that I was right and it got me canned from neogaf).

What I did not see happen is the series S outselling the X, and this is a real disaster with games running at sub hd resolutions )480p, 630p anyone?) on a regular basis, this is horrible.

Anyway, good that they get destroyed and their "only" problem is their games output, not so different DRM, no bad press (compared to what they deserve)... just bad games to destroy their reputation.
I even took some old posts.... it is interesting that my opinion didn't change.... the opposite it is probably worst in relation to Xbox today.

image-2023-12-20-123810997.png

image-2023-12-20-123736419.png

image-2023-12-20-123549065.png

Series S|X had a way worst launch than Xbox One that was limited to 13 counties... that tells a lot.
But Twitter Xbots keep saying it was the best things ever :D :D :D

Series never put the world on fire... neither the machines, neither the games.
In fact it lacks games... it is probably the worst console ever released in terms of games.
Xbox One was a dream machine compared with Xbox Series but people keep saying Xbox One was a disaster :D

It is so dumb.
Hey I'm the fanboy banned here.

Last edited:

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Xbox wished they had only -15%

They had double digits down in US every month, 35%-55% in EU, flop in Asia. Impossible it's only -15%.
I wouldn't really argue with AMPERE, this is literally their job anf they have a reputation to keep. There may be slight differences from reality here and there because Xbox does not release data, but their numbers are very solid. We're not talking about VGChartz.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Hilarious seeing the bots point to revenue up as if MS didn't just absorb the biggest gaming publisher in the world. They really love praising Xbox for spending money. Hardware down = Xbox is dying and were a few steps closer to full multiplat

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Hilarious seeing the bots point to revenue up as if MS didn't just absorb the biggest gaming publisher in the world. They really love praising Xbox for spending money. Hardware down = Xbox is dying and were a few steps closer to full multiplat
They remind me of those dickwads that say "I stopped drinking starbucks and I became a homeowner at the age of 24*", only for the asterisk to be that their parents bought them the house.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Puff and voke

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
They remind me of those dickwads that say "I stopped drinking starbucks and I became a homeowner at the age of 24*", only for the asterisk to be that their parents bought them the house.
I would buy a house for my kids too if they stopped drinking overpriced garbage coffee*!

*not rich enough.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Darth Vader
24 Jun 2022
Now let's see if PlayStation can maintain those sales into 2024.

Xbox? I genuinely don't give a shit. Their numbers are terrible, end of story. There's only one real path forward for them as gaming hardware and I've mentioned it too many times already. It's PlayStation I'm more interested in here.

Why? Because if the exclusives lineup is weak (either in terms of no big 1P exclusives, or very short timed exclusivity windows on big 3P titles), they don't perhaps make adjustments for base PS5 pricing if needed, they don't revamp their PC porting strategy to scale back on that front and they launch the PS5 Pro in a year with no big exclusive to show off its power AND GTA6 is definitely not coming 2024...there could be a steeper drop-off than anticipated. If not so much in hardware sales, than in revenue, which is arguably even more important at this point for SIE.

Keep in mind 2023 was the first year since launch PS5 was widely regularly available. That's partly why Sony went with the 25 million FY 23 target and, if they continue playing their cards right, they can actually hit that target as insane as it seemed at first. But if they don't address the points I mentioned earlier, well...they may still hit that target, but the rest of 2024 could be a notable decline in total revenue comparatively speaking, and that is not a great thing. There's also the persistent presence of competition from PC (notably Steam), and Nintendo releasing the Switch 2 later in 2024 to consider as well.

Very interesting times ahead indeed.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
On IB the Ampere guy said…

53.4m is the estimate for end of 2023.
They revised their own 2020 and 2022 estimates so the 4.2m and 13m where upgraded… 2020 marginally.

That makes me think.

2020: 4.3m (up 0.1m)
2021: 12.8m
2022: 13.8m (up 0.8m)
2023: 22.5m

Ohhhh like I said in previous years Ampere estimate looked low to PS5 and high to Series… they upgraded PS5 so probably downgraded Series (it will be fun if they match my own estimate we talked a lot in 2022 @Welfare… remember I telling you US is closer to 60% than 50% for Xbox).

Edit - I will say more… Series is probably below 25 million yet.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Thats an average of over 9 million/yr, sounds a little high for Xbox. They will still be in the console biz and ain't leaving with these kinda sales.
You have to remember these figures include 3 holiday seasons. Iirc xbox was around 15m before holiday 2022

Reactions: pop

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I’ll just say I’m genuinely shocked Xbox even sold 7 million. Like, do these people not at least have one gamer friend to tell them the difference between a PlayStation and Xbox?
I wouldn’t be surprised if 80 percent of that 7 million was all in the US and I attribute a lot of that to western media pitting Xbox against PlayStation like it’s the “other but equal brand.” If that makes sense.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Many people that bought it in November at $450 are still eligible to return them and rebuy at $350. They are gifts so they are still sealed. I wouldn't be surprised if retailers are even more pissed after Christmas with all the returns.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I’ll just say I’m genuinely shocked Xbox even sold 7 million. Like, do these people not at least have one gamer friend to tell them the difference between a PlayStation and Xbox?
I wouldn’t be surprised if 80 percent of that 7 million was all in the US and I attribute a lot of that to western media pitting Xbox against PlayStation like it’s the “other but equal brand.” If that makes sense.
Think how dumb the average american is, then realize that the sales differential of PS5/Xbox currently correlates to almost 1 standard deviation below the average
normal_dist_68_rule.jpg